Modify tips for Hot Toys 1/4 Dark Knight Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the Face in Cowl mod. I have notice the face stick out a bit more, doesn't look as natural as the EB..... so I decide to play around with it...... end up to be one of the easiest mod ever, hope this is helpful

Here is a before shot
face does stick out a bit more, and does look as real

Step 1
- look at the inner cowl, your goal is the take the inner metal bracket out

Step 2
- you can take out the metal bracket by using some hook tool, its very simple as my wasn't glued in
- as you can see, the wall on the faceplate holder is very thin, your goal is to cut it off

Step 3
- cut slowly along the back wall of the faceplate.....

Step 4
- pop it out
- if any other part needs to be sand down or clean up, this is your chance to do so
- try to keep the back wall of the faceplate in good condition, you need it later on

here is the after shot, not a huge different, but I do enjoy it

Sealed it back together

Step 1.

After you are satisfied with the fitment of the faceplate.... turn the head around, lets work on the inner part

Step 2
- put the back wall back onto the faceplate, but be sure to keep the faceplate remain in the same position you fitted earlier

Step 3
- place the metal bracket back

Step 4
- turn it around and check if everything is in place as the way you like it
- LAST, when you are completely satisfy with the location, simply super glue the back wall back to where it was
- once its dry, you can have some fun changing all the faceplates for different expression, hope this change and improve your Dark Knight a bit

Here is a few shot of mine.....
- eye painted
- neck collar mod
- shoulder armor repositioned
- leg extension
- cape insert mod (not necessary, I would like to make it better eventually)
- custom drape cape
- glove straps mod
- face in cowl mod

Here is the Face in Cowl mod. I have notice the face stick out a bit more, doesn't look as natural as the EB..... so I decide to play around with it...... end up to be one of the easiest mod ever, hope this is helpful

Well your not allowed to say that on the QS001 forum because not everyone believes the face plates stick out. So you will only cause arguments there. Its so ridiculous, why can't people accept the possibility that they do stick out.:thud: This cowl looks very toyish IMO because of the slightly bug eyes and the face plates(although that's the least thing that bothers me). I hope you can create a cowl that gets rid of this toyish look, since you said you are going to sculpt the eye lids. However, yours look fine just by doing that painted Mod in your pictures.

Here is a before shot
face does stick out a bit more, and does look as real

Step 1

Step 2
- you can take out the metal bracket by using some hook tool, its very simple as my wasn't glued in
- as you can see, the wall on the faceplate holder is very thin, your goal is to cut it off

Step 3

Step 4
- pop it out
- if any other part needs to be sand down or clean up, this is your chance to do so
- try to keep the back wall of the faceplate in good condition, you need it later on

here is the after shot, not a huge different, but I do enjoy it

Sealed it back together

Step 1.

After you are satisfied with the fitment of the faceplate.... turn the head around, lets work on the inner part

Step 2
- put the back wall back onto the faceplate, but be sure to keep the faceplate remain in the same position you fitted earlier

Step 3

Step 4
- LAST, when you are completely satisfy with the location, simply super glue the back wall back to where it was
- once its dry, you can have some fun changing all the faceplates for different expression, hope this change and improve your Dark Knight a bit

Here is a few shot of mine.....
- eye painted
- neck collar mod
- shoulder armor repositioned
- leg extension
- cape insert mod (not necessary, I would like to make it better eventually)
- custom drape cape
- glove straps mod
- face in cowl mod

Looks amazing Tony not that I would expect anything less made by you! You have not even sculpted the eye lids yet so how did you make that squint look? It can't just be from painted the eye lids, it must have to do with positioning them a certain way to.

Last edited:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4
- pop it out

Sealed it back together

Step 1.

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Nice mod Tony. I did the same with my DX12 except that I did not re-glue the back of the face plate. This way, I just have to remove the eyes to use the head as an empty cowl.

Do you think the same can be done with the QS001? Can the face plates hold thanks to the hole in the metal braket? (or by themselves?) Or is it mendatory to glue back the back of the face plate?

What am I missing?

It just sounds like something is removed, and then put back.

Gonna read it again...

What am I missing?

It just sounds like something is removed, and then put back.

Gonna read it again...

This is what I gathered.

The cowl has a stopping point for the face plates, ala dx12...the hole where the plates peg goes into. You gotta slice that whole thing out. Insert the face plate until you're satisfied with the depth, then repeg the sliced out portion onto the peg of the face plate (all done from the opening of the cowl).

So with the desired look of the face plate, you'll need to reassemble the metal ring that was originally lining the cowls opening, and you'll have to glue the sliced portion onto the metal ring.

I think that's what tony is trying to convey.

Well your not allowed to say that on the QS001 forum because not everyone believes the face plates stick out. So you will only cause arguments there. Its so ridiculous, why can't people accept the possibility that they do stick out.
Whatever it is at least you can discuss face plate issues here without being attacked.

Dude, you need to grow up.
I have not attacked anyone, I have a different opinion and I express it.
You are the one trolling here.
Now, take a deep breath and let go...

This is what I gathered.

The cowl has a stopping point for the face plates, ala dx12...the hole where the plates peg goes into. You gotta slice that whole thing out. Insert the face plate until you're satisfied with the depth, then repeg the sliced out portion onto the peg of the face plate (all done from the opening of the cowl).

So with the desired look of the face plate, you'll need to reassemble the metal ring that was originally lining the cowls opening, and you'll have to glue the sliced portion onto the metal ring.

I think that's what tony is trying to convey.

That's what I got on a second read as well. Thanks for the confirmation.

I have 3 of these bad boys....

I gotta be honest. Cutting something from the cowl....gives me a sick feeling in the stomach haha.

Agreed. And I've already done some cutting on this figure. :thud:

WIP arm/shoulder/wrist mods.

IMG_7007.jpg

Ok. So after having the figure for a few hours, I went to remove the cape and the tabs marked up the slots. :gah: That cape is garbage. :mad:

Anyway, I liked the look of the traps in Maglor's latest picture and it was gnawing way at me. So I just shimmed the shoulders. I still have a ways to go, but it looks better.

1gla.jpg

a0jp.jpg

I want to try Tony's glove mod but I'm worried about cutting cuffs the wrong way.

Hey Mag could you explain a bit more as to what was done to the arm/shoulder?THANX!^_^

That picture is kind of a teaser. I'm video documenting everything I do, and once it's done I'll post the video.

I'll just say that literally everything related to the shoulders has been modified. :thud:

That picture is kind of a teaser....

You're starting to sound like Enterbay Bill. :lol

I can't wait to see the video. Also, I'm starting to see the tiny flaws in this figure, and it's starting to bother me a bit. I finally mustered up the courage to do Tony's glove mod before I went to bed. Cutting up that first glove was nerve-wracking to say the least. I still can't believe I cut up a $500 figure. :horror

ncsm.jpg

Back