MMS164 - Iron Man: Iron Monger Limited Edition Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously there is a tremendous demand so I say milk away Hot Toys, milk away! This Monger figure is huge, insanely detailed and twice as complex and articulated as any other HT release to date - the price tag is justified imo.

As it's been discussed on other threads, it looks like HT is starting to raise it's price point on most lines which is going to force collectors to choose their purchases more carefully. Trying to collect & complete multiple lines of Hot Toys is going to prove to be an insanely expensive task, one that probably isn't practical for the average collector.

I'm missing the problem of HT making multiple Iron Man figures? I think the problem or problems are that 1. people are mad they can't afford said items and 2. that they want items made from "their" license.

I'm missing the problem of HT making multiple Iron Man figures? I think the problem or problems are that 1. people are mad they can't afford said items and 2. that they want items made from "their" license.

I'd say people are mad because "their" licenses are ignored or under-developed while Iron Man and a few others are over-developed.

Iron Man has had enough that it should cool down, where as others haven't even had more than two and those fans have been ignored.

Equality. :lecture

Last four announcements/pre-orders:

2 Batman Figures
1 Predator Figure
2 Iron Man Figures/dio

In regards to milking, there hasn't been more than one Tony Stark, yet there have been at least ten armours.

Fans have wanted a Racing Suit Tony Stark, instead we get the gantry or hall of armour. So they are milking the same area of the license without expanding to do another different Tony or Whiplash Armour (unique and a Villain)

Last edited:
Agreed. The 'problem' that keeps getting posted goes something like this:

Collector X can't afford to be a completist on the IM line b/c he has figures U,V, X,Y, and Z on pre-order and can't afford them all.

That's not Hot Toys problem. Kudos to Hot Toys for giving fans of this IM line so many choices for their collections.

I completely agree with Foyle. It makes perfect sense to compare the two. Hot Toys is essentially a luxury toy company. There products are pretty much untouchable to the competition. The competition strives to reach their benchmark.They literally are the Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, etc. of the industry.

Careful . . . you're making too much sense for this board!

Listening to grown, married men complain about their inability to afford high-end collectible toys is like listening to a McDonald's employee cry about not being able to afford a Porsche. Champagne tastes on a beer budget . . .

:slap

I think the problem or problems are that 1. people are mad they can't afford said items and 2. that they want items made from "their" license.

:exactly:

There's just no pleasing some people.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U74s8nFE7No"]Life of Brian - Alms for an ex Leper - YouTube[/ame]

My post wasn't a serious post, or actually crying. I'm happy that they are making Monger. I just need to cut back on the collection. Like I said if it sells it sells. Basically I just can't keep up, I got 4 Hot Toys figures that I still did not open from the shipper to even verify to make sure if it's a Barbie doll. Don't take this the wrong way about me saying milking, it was just my opinion that doesn't matter to Hot Toys because like I said, if it sells it sells. I do want Monger not the Hall of Armor and all, but I'm sure people wants it.

Where is the variety though, they're mostly "Iron Man Armours" there are other characters that can be made to keep the line fresh. In the MK V thread long-time fans have grown bored of the constant in-flux of Iron Man armours that they're cancelling out of boredom and the fact that "there will always be another one in the future" mentality from The Avengers and so forth.

Kudos to Hot Toys for giving fans of this IM line so many choices for their collections.

Where is Hot Toys Kudos for those who dont collect Iron Man, Batman or Predator?

Where is the T-800 BD fans have asked for?
Where is the next Sucker Punch Girl?
Whats happening with Tron Legacy?

Whats the hold up on Green Lantern?
Whats the hold up on Metal Gear Solid?
Whats the hold up on X-Men First Class?

ANSWER: they're too busy making too much Iron Men for even fans of the line to keep up with or justify spending the equivelent of two other figures on.

Last edited:
I'd say people are mad because "their" licenses are ignored or under-developed while Iron Man and a few others are over-developed.

Iron Man has had enough that it should cool down, where as others haven't even had more than two and those fans have been ignored.

2 Batman Figure
1 Predator Figure
2 Iron Man Figures

In regards to milking, there hasn't been more than one Tony Stark, yet there have been at least ten armours.

Fans have wanted a Racing Suit Tony Stark, instead we get the gantry or hall of armour. So they are milking the same area of the license without expanding to do another different Tony or Whiplash Armour (unique and a Villain)

Just b/c one license gets ignored, for good reason probably, does not mean that the IM line is over developed. The IM line is a flag ship line for Hot Toys, and it's arguably the hottest of them all.

It would be incredibly stupid for HT to ignore it and "let it cool down" and focus elsewhere. That's actually some of the dumbest business strategy I've ever heard of. You ever hear the phrase "strike while the iron is hot"? That's exactly what they're doing.

As for the latest announcements, HT is giving Sucker Punch fans their due as well as other not-so-hot lines.

Fans have wanted a Hall of Armor display MUCH longer than a racing suit Stark which was only really ever brought up after the announcement of the Mark 5. And I wouldn't write off HT doing a Whiplash mark 2 or Monaco Tony either.

2 Batman Figure
1 Predator Figure
2 Iron Man Figures

:exactly: I love Iron Man just as much as the next person. I would say the same thing if they done the same with the Batman series.

BINGO. I think you are spot on Josh. I personally LOVE the MMS. Primarily because if they weren't making them, we probably would have nothing. I know many would prefer COMIC versions, but again, Movie versions are better than none.

I am really excited about this figure. The one thing i I hope it can do is raise his arms above his head so he can slam Tony to the ground, but I just can't tell from the looks of it. If it can't I'll just pose him with his foot on top crushing Iron Man.

Where is the variety though, they're mostly "Iron Man Armours" there are other characters that can be made to keep the line fresh. In the MK V thread long-time fans have grown bored of the constant in-flux of Iron Man armours that they're cancelling out of boredom and the fact that "there will always be another one in the future" mentality from The Avengers and so forth.

Where is Hot Toys Kudos for those who dont collect Iron Man, Batman or Predator?

Whats the hold up on Green Lantern?
Whats the hold up on Metal Gear Solid?
Whats the hold up on X-Men First Class?

ANSWER: they're too busy making too much Iron Men for even fans of the line to keep up with or justify spending the equivelent of two other figures on.
They haven't even released the first 2 SP girls and you're already whining about HT not releasing a third?! HAHA WOW dude you're out of your mind!

Tron is getting a light cycle or did you forget?

Green Lantern? I could care less tbh - terrible movie doesn't deserve a figure but the hard core comic fans will be happy.

MGS? Niche line.

Xmen 1st class? Movie was awful. Yeah, I said it.

2 Batman Figure
1 Predator Figure
2 Iron Man Figures

HT is a company and they're going to make items that sell. Its not a hard concept for most folks to grasp surely. Why make a ton of figures for Sucker Punch (which I really like by the way) when there are Armors from the Iron Man movies they can make that will sell like crazy?

Agreed. The 'problem' that keeps getting posted goes something like this:

Collector X can't afford to be a completist on the IM line b/c he has figures U,V, X,Y, and Z on pre-order and can't afford them all.

That's not Hot Toys problem. Kudos to Hot Toys for giving fans of this IM line so many choices for their collections.

Yup, these companies don't make these with the though of collectors getting every figure. They make certain ones thinking some will pass so they can get the next figure. If you can't stop yourself don't blame the companies.

Careful . . . you're making too much sense for this board!

Listening to grown, married men complain about their inability to afford high-end collectible toys is like listening to a McDonald's employee cry about not being able to afford a Porsche. Champagne tastes on a beer budget . . .

:slap

:exactly:

There's just no pleasing some people.

Life of Brian - Alms for an ex Leper - YouTube

lol wow you think you are so clever making huge assumptions about other people's incomes and marital statuses. aren't you the big boy who can afford every single hot toys toy. congratulations, now give yourself a pat on the back!

seriously, i am not going to sit here and explain to you the stupidity it takes to compare hot toys to porsche. go take a community college class on economics and maybe you will learn something other than "WOW THEY ARE BOTH LUXURY BRANDS, THEY MUST BE THE SAME".

I think the big problem to some collectors is that they want everything or nearly everything HT are making. I love IM but I know I can't afford every figure HT produce from the IM line + other figures from other lines, so like some have said before is be selective & don't impulse buy. I've been waiting for this for a long time now & I'm so happy that I can now get this & at an affordable price, HT have clearly been working on this figure for a long time, they knew the fan's wanted this & what was a pipe dream there now made a reality. 1/6 collectors couldn't even dreamt of owning this a few years ago.

I think the big problem to some collectors is that they want everything or nearly everything HT are making. I love IM but I know I can't afford every figure HT produce from the IM line + other figures from other lines, so like some have said before is be selective & don't impulse buy. I've been waiting for this for a long time now & I'm so happy that I can now get this & at an affordable price, HT have clearly been working on this figure for a long time, they knew the fan's wanted this & what was a pipe dream there now made a reality. 1/6 collectors couldn't even dreamt of owning this a few years ago.

:lecture:exactly::goodpost:

You know what's funny about this question? It's that this Monger was exactly what IM fans have been dreaming about and asking for since day one. Yet here you are knocking HT for doing exactly what you're asking them to do! :lol

Sucker Punch bombed. (Rightly so)

Tron Legacy did mediocre box office. The Spinmaster toys sold poorly and became pegwarmers.

When a company acquires a license from a blockbuster property, they will develop that license as fully as possible. This is precisely what businesses do -- maximize profits.

Hot Toys is probably going to get its lunch eaten on the Sucker Punch license, so be grateful that you got anything.

Notice the Green Lantern license is dead in the water? That's because the movie lost $105 million. You don't throw good money after bad. Remember what happened to Mego Toys back in the day . . .

Just b/c one license gets ignored, for good reason probably, does not mean that the IM line is over developed. The IM line is a flag ship line for Hot Toys, and it's arguably the hottest of them all.

It would be incredibly stupid for HT to ignore it and "let it cool down" and focus elsewhere. That's actually some of the dumbest business strategy I've ever heard of. You ever hear the phrase "strike while the iron is hot"? That's exactly what they're doing.

As for the latest announcements, HT is giving Sucker Punch fans their due as well as other not-so-hot lines.

What about the phrase "Flooding the market" soon enough Hot Toys will have so much Iron Man that collectors of that line will have to compete with that same line on which to cancel to afford them all.

Its already happening with other lines, lots of collectors cancelled the Shadow Pred to afford the Classic Pred, collecctors have likely cancelled the Gantry to afford Monger.

And not all collectors can afford that, if you consider the price of the MK 2, the MK 5, the Gantry, Iron Monger and now the Hall of Armour, the last three will equal in cost of about 4-5 (?) together.

You stated that other lines get ignored for good reasons and they are not so hot, but Tron Legacy was put on hold before the first figure hit the market, and i dont see how other lines can flourish and become profitable if people are expecting them to stop after two figures.

Ther reason Iron Man is successful is because Hot Toys put time and effort to make it so, same with Batman, Predator and Terminator, yet they are falling back on these too often and will eventually run them down without other lines to backuo onto.

For Sucker Punch if Hot Toys said plainly we are gonna make all the girls, then i bet guys who may have skipped Amber would pick her up to complete the Quintet.

Talking about rising prices will lead to the invevitable jackass comment about cutting down to one line (reasonable i suppose) or leave the hobby, but it is as plain as day that HT racking up the prices will affect their consumer base.

Some can handle the costs but as evident on Facebook many customers are protesting and will be priced out.

Can Hot Toys afford to out-price half of their customers?

Are there threads of fans clamoring for 100's of pages for a Monaco Tony or a Whiplash mark 2 like there was for Iron Monger & Sucker Punch? If there are I clearly missed them.

Back