MMS121 - Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Whiplash Limited Edition Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really feel for Hot Toys cause i think they made the right choice. Its a very complicated character to design and I think they got pretty damn close. I can see their whole thought process. When you have a character whose all about swinging his arms around, a rubber body just isn't gonna cut it. They would have to give instructions saying 'Don't raise arm over head' 'Don't bend over 90 degrees' 'don't leave arm raised for more then ten minutes'.

Also you can't print tattoos on the rubber ( at least not to the fine detail they have on this ) And then having the harness over rubber arms would cause too much friction and restrict movement. Also consider Whiplashes body shape, the whole thing would be way to bulky

The electricity/lightning is just extra. It probably slides right off since it looks bendable

plus, how much more "real" can you make shards of electricity look? I cant imagine that its easy to sculpt. I think they made a great effort, but thats just me

that is one of the best likeness I have seen from HT yet.
WOW !

I will buy all the collectibles from Iron Man 2 depending how amazing the movie is.

I hope is not a spider man 3.

Amazing likeness, and a great sculpt. I really like the eyes and all the tats.

Great job Hot Toys, and it was nice to FINALLY get some pics, but a pass for me I believe.

I might pick up an official bad guy version of this character but right now unless he completely blows me away like Ledger in TDK I don't have a connection with Whiplash and will keep my dough for all the other figures we're sure to get out of this line.

Thanks for posting the pics though!

some of you are just making excuses for ht. leonidas can lift his arms up easy. it can also bend at the elbows. that's good enough to apply the rubber skin for this figure. how far back do you need to pose whiplash's arms anyway?

and if they can PAINT on the rubber skin for leonidas, they can paint the tattoo on rubber skin for whiplash. that's just logic. and this is a subpar effort by ht standard. if you're going to make the face realistic, then make sure the rest of the piece is just as realistic as well.

these are poseable figures. if you dont want exposed joints get statues

QFT. I'd much rather have this than the fake skin, because you can't move it as much and then there are exposed joints at the wrists anyway.

This thing looks awesome. I normally only go in for the good guys but...man, it'll be hard to pass this one up.

Do the bolts of electricity light up at all? I can't tell what they mean from the write up.

these are poseable figures. if you dont want exposed joints get statues
no, i own a bunch of ht already and not a single one of them has visible joints as far as my eyes could see. and whiplash could easily go that route as well. it's a choice.

I don't think the rubber skin would work with the harness over it. It would probably eat into it leaving permanent indents after a short while. I'm happy with what they're doing with the sculpted bodies. I don't have Leo yet, but any kind of rubber covering makes me nervous.

no, i own a bunch of ht already and not a single one of them has visible joints as far as my eyes could see. and whiplash could easily go that route as well. it's a choice.

i have a lot of HT figures also and the only ones that i have so far that dont have exposed joints are Hellboy, Sheva, and Dutch. i do have Leonidas on pre order from sideshow. im mainly a 1/6th scale collector and exposed joints never bother me at all. in fact i was upset that HT changed Sheva from her having exposed joints because it limited the poses she could be in. now i dont "play" with my figures but i do like to change up the pose from time to time and having a rubber body limits my choice in that.

I don't think the rubber skin would work with the harness over it. It would probably eat into it leaving permanent indents after a short while.
look closely at the harness. they dont have sharp edges on the inside and are actually quite loose, especially around the arms. like a ring two sizes too big on your finger.

i have a lot of HT figures also and the only ones that i have so far that dont have exposed joints are Hellboy, Sheva, and Dutch. i do have Leonidas on pre order from sideshow. im mainly a 1/6th scale collector and exposed joints never bother me at all. in fact i was upset that HT changed Sheva from her having exposed joints because it limited the poses she could be in. now i dont "play" with my figures but i do like to change up the pose from time to time and having a rubber body limits my choice in that.
i dont like to play with my toys either. i get my enjoyment purely from looking at them(or let my camera looks at them), and exposed joints just hurt my eyes. and the more a toy looks lifelike the more its exposed joints bother me. it just distracts from the overall aesthetic.

look closely at the harness. they dont have sharp edges on the inside and are actually quite loose, especially around the arms. like a ring two sizes too big on your finger.

i dont like to play with my toys either. i get my enjoyment purely from looking at them(or let my camera looks at them), and exposed joints just hurt my eyes. and the more a toy looks lifelike the more its exposed joints bother me. it just distracts from the overall aesthetic.

EXACTLY. Those of you supporting exposed joints are completely missing the point. What's the point of adding SO much realism into the sculpt that goes as far as skin pores and freckles on the arm when the whole effect iw just ruined by a big ugly unnatural joint?

If there were to be a mark V suitcase figure this figure would go perfectly with it.

Does anyone know why they can't use the right colour trousers? That has me confused.

Furthermore I get irate every time I hear the ignorant statement " Thes are toys if you don't like joints go buy statues" the same thing can be said enouraging one to go buy 30 dollar NEca 12 inch figures if you like toys and joints. Statues, NECa fgures and hot toys are all different animals . All different mRkets and all different price points. You pay over a hundred dollars for these FOR the innovation. You pay to expect them to findd ways to add movement without skipping out on realism.

After the innovation of Leonidas this one is a big flop.

They paint on the skin all the time... Just look at all wolverine's hair. Paint is not an excuse not to do rubber

EXACTLY. Those of you supporting exposed joints are completely missing the point. What's the point of adding SO much realism into the sculpt that goes as far as skin pores and freckles on the arm when the whole effect iw just ruined by a big ugly unnatural joint?
correctamundo!

spoken like a true prodigy.

Furthermore I get irate every time I hear the ignorant statement " Thes are toys if you don't like joints go buy statues" the same thing can be said enouraging one to go buy 30 dollar NEca 12 inch figures if you like toys and joints. Statues, NECa fgures and hot toys are all different animals.
to be fair, i own dozens of neca figures and none of them have poas this blatantly n distractingly exposed. i'm very selective, even with my 7" figures.

can you "realistically" pose Sheva to hold her rifle without making it look ackward for her. thats the point im trying to make here. i dont mind rubber bodies, i do like the fact that hot toys tries to achieve realism but i DON'T like poseability of "poseable" figures to be reduced for the sake of aesthetics. thats the reason i buy statues because statues are meant to just be looked at and enjoyed for the pose the sculpture choose.

I hate rubber bodies, they look nice for the most part, but I hate having a figure that I constantly have to worry about it breaking/tearing. My HT hellboy for instance, came shipped to me with one of the elbow joints almost breaking through the rubber and now I have to pose him with his arm constantly at his side. This was the best choice for this figure imo

Back