MMS Diecast - Iron Man: 1/6th scale Mark III Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was me that responded first with those words. But it's true. Comparing the mk3 DC to the Aou Cap is inaccurate. Once is a reused head (that's repainted) and altered costume with the same hands and shield with added parts...to the mk3 DC that is mostly a new sculpt with new tooling and even with two unique process (injection mold and stamping (Diecast)).
Agreed

This can't come soon enough for me! I never got the original figure so I am excited for this one.

Mark III was supposed to be my first and only purchase from Sideshow but have gotten like 13 other figures since ordering it.

The wait has been quite long ... I hope I don't go ordering a bunch of stuff while I wait on Hulkbuster haha

Mark III was supposed to be my first and only purchase from Sideshow but have gotten like 13 other figures since ordering it.

The wait has been quite long ... I hope I don't go ordering a bunch of stuff while I wait on Hulkbuster haha

That is EXACTLY what happened to me. :lol I was only supposed to order AV2 Cap...while waiting on him I ended up with 9 other figures and I've got five others on pre order. I have no idea what happened. :thud:

I love repaints, makes it easy to mix and match parts, am I the only one who threw mark 42 gloves/wristguards on 43?

:lol Nope!

11873467_10153575158634743_7202373760177042647_n.jpg

Awesome pic Holo :rock

It appears that after 40 years you are still confused then. A "repaint" has nothing to do with it its a new character or screen time or any of those. A repaint is when you take an existing mold or figure and..here's the confusing part..paint it in a different way. Hence the term. Re(to do again)Paint. You may be around stuff for 40 years. Doesn't mean you know a lot. It means you are older. I love how people collect things and somehow that means they understand how the build process work. Just becuase you collect cars doesn't make you a mechanic, just becuase you collect art doesn't mean your an artist, just becuase you collect baseball cards doesn't mean your an athlete..and just becuase you collect action figures doesn't mean you are an "authority" on how they are made. It means you collect. Yes it's possible to pick up some info along the way. Doesn't mean you are some wise old sage.

Again-a repaint is a figure that uses existing parts and the only difference is paint. Has nothing to do with if it was hinted at in a movie or even if it was the star. Mkvii stealth and mkvii are the exact same under the paint. That's a repaint.

And Kenner didn't start it. Mattel was and is the king of repaints. (Big Jim Cat is repainted to Battle Cat, he-man becomes faker ect...Mattel was reprinting in the 60s. Nearly every company does it.)

The-Rock-Clapping-Reaction-Gif.gif

Post of your career mate. The red text will be my new sig in honor of it's awesomeness. :rock

It appears that after 40 years you are still confused then. A "repaint" has nothing to do with it its a new character or screen time or any of those. A repaint is when you take an existing mold or figure and..here's the confusing part..paint it in a different way. Hence the term. Re(to do again)Paint. You may be around stuff for 40 years. Doesn't mean you know a lot. It means you are older. I love how people collect things and somehow that means they understand how the build process work. Just becuase you collect cars doesn't make you a mechanic, just becuase you collect art doesn't mean your an artist, just becuase you collect baseball cards doesn't mean your an athlete..and just becuase you collect action figures doesn't mean you are an "authority" on how they are made. It means you collect. Yes it's possible to pick up some info along the way. Doesn't mean you are some wise old sage.

Again-a repaint is a figure that uses existing parts and the only difference is paint. Has nothing to do with if it was hinted at in a movie or even if it was the star. Mkvii stealth and mkvii are the exact same under the paint. That's a repaint.

And Kenner didn't start it. Mattel was and is the king of repaints. (Big Jim Cat is repainted to Battle Cat, he-man becomes faker ect...Mattel was reprinting in the 60s. Nearly every company does it.)

Your post would have merit if I only "collected" this stuff. BUT I have been selling and producing collectables since the early nineties so nice try.

Words do not just have a definition, they have context. In the context of a repainted figure my definition is correct to the majority of collectors. When you apply the term repaint to a figure it in most cases meant to be negative.

It's not fair to Hot Toys and responsible collectors owe it to the community to make sure that new collectors understand the vernacular associated with the hobby.

Scarily similar, but for me it was Matrix Commando. And somehow that has turned into wanting ONE Iron Man, to IM, Cap and Thor, to all the original MCU Avengers (still waiting on Hawkeye) to having an Arnie and Avenger Collection..

Yeah collecting can be addictive. My collection is very much complete, I just want to add a few more pieces here and there. I've made a list of figures I have on PO (MK III, 1/4 Boba, 1/4 MK 43, Delorean) and ones that will eventually be released (1/4 Vader, 1/4 Stormtrooper).
But man! In terms of IM, I'd love to have a MK 7and WM MK I. That would complete my IM collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your post would have merit if I only "collected" this stuff. BUT I have been selling and producing collectables since the early nineties so nice try.

Words do not just have a definition, they have context. In the context of a repainted figure my definition is correct to the majority of collectors. When you apply the term repaint to a figure it in most cases meant to be negative.

It's not fair to Hot Toys and responsible collectors owe it to the community to make sure that new collectors understand the vernacular associated with the hobby.

Sorry guys but this is stupid now. Who gives a c*** really?

As far as I am concerned and I am sure this goes for quite a few people here; if you release the exact same product, without modification to the base materials or components, and apply a different colour scheme to it, it's a repaint. Representation of a different character is irrelevant. Trust me, I collect Transformers. I know.

As an example; Midas is a repaint of the Avengers Mark VII which represents a different armour in Iron Man III. The is product still a repaint of the Mark VII 1/6 action figure.

Now can we please move on because Motuxmen vs. Boba Debt is like and irresistible force vs. an immovable object, we are getting nowhere.

In the words of Clay Morrow: "Do I have to call a vote?"

I'm not "wrong" about re-paints.

I was right in the middle of this because I sold action figures and collectables in the early 80's and early 90's

Most people were not complaining about repaints until Kenner started doing in after the Star Wars hype dies and figure collecting slowed down.

So they released repaints and people started to complain and argue about it. The term re-pain in reference to actions figures was coined in the early 90s

Up until now I can not think of a franchise were a studio created a different character from the same design where paint color was the only difference.

It's not Hot Toys fault Marvel did this and they are not selling repaints, they are selling faithful representations of a real character.

Repaints have a negative connotation and it is not right to ascribe that characteristic to a Hot Toys release that isn't a re-paint.

Complain all day about The Gun Metal and Secrete project but call Midas or this Mark 3 a repaint is not correct.

Can't think of a studio that did it? Star Wars with droids(so Lucas and ilm) filmation with masters of the universe. There's two. There's lots more.

You said words don't have only definitions but context. Again, your confused. Words have definitions, STATEMENTS have context. You tend to merge multiple definitions into one thing and that's just not how it works.

You also said you not only sold but produced..first I've heard of you producing. What exactly did you produce?

I think your struggle to communicate your point is partly because you seem to want to throw your experience around as some sort of credentials which somehow can invalidate the opinions of others. Telling people their points don't have merit isn't the best way to be heard yourself regardless of your experience as a collector, producer, or seller.

As I said before this is an argument about semantics which has spun out of control. You're welcome to go back and read my previous post on this if you like but I tried to hear both sides. In the end your concern doesn't seem to be about whether a figure was technically a repaint of a figure which already exists but that in many collector circles the term "repaint" is a pejorative and negative term to talk about a figure produced trying to pass itself on as "new" when its just the same figure as before with a different paint job. I can understand your concern about this as someone who sells such things and on behalf of HT who makes and sells them, but I think you overcome whatever obstacle calling it a "repaint" might present to a potential customer not by arguing semantics of the term "repaint" but focusing on your point that these figures were only repainted because that is what best conveys what was seen in the film. It is more than fair to say that this isn't some kind of scam on part of the toy maker simply to double dip on the same character. Hot Toys isn't hurting for sales on these figures that reuse previous molds but with a different paint scheme precisely for this reason; because the products actually do reflect actual different armors in the MCU. You are making a good point about how the situation with these repaints are not the same as the kind of situation when collectors typically complain about "repaints" and consider it a negative thing. But arguing over the semantics of the word "repaint" isn't helping as it has actually distracted from your point that there should be no negative connotation attached to the fact that HT has repainted old molds in order to accurately represent various armors that actually appeared in the movies.

I think your struggle to communicate your point is partly because you seem to want to throw your experience around as some sort of credentials which somehow can invalidate the opinions of others. Telling people their points don't have merit isn't the best way to be heard yourself regardless of your experience as a collector, producer, or seller.

As I said before this is an argument about semantics which has spun out of control. You're welcome to go back and read my previous post on this if you like but I tried to hear both sides. In the end your concern doesn't seem to be about whether a figure was technically a repaint of a figure which already exists but that in many collector circles the term "repaint" is a pejorative and negative term to talk about a figure produced trying to pass itself on as "new" when its just the same figure as before with a different paint job. I can understand your concern about this as someone who sells such things and on behalf of HT who makes and sells them, but I think you overcome whatever obstacle calling it a "repaint" might present to a potential customer not by arguing semantics of the term "repaint" but focusing on your point that these figures were only repainted because that is what best conveys what was seen in the film. It is more than fair to say that this isn't some kind of scam on part of the toy maker simply to double dip on the same character. Hot Toys isn't hurting for sales on these figures that reuse previous molds but with a different paint scheme precisely for this reason; because the products actually do reflect actual different armors in the MCU. You are making a good point about how the situation with these repaints are not the same as the kind of situation when collectors typically complain about "repaints" and consider it a negative thing. But arguing over the semantics of the world "repaint" isn't helping as it has actually distracted from your point that there should be no negative connotation attached to the fact that HT has repainted old molds in order to accurately represent various armors that actually appeared in the movies.

Very well said Jaymas. I'd rep ya but I can't. :goodpost: :clap

Motuxmen: Don't try to be cool by take a cheap shot. OF course the context for a word is from how it is used in statement but last time I checked most words are used in statements and questions so context comes into play 99% of the time.

This argument has been going on for the past decade. I'm not struggling to commutate, it's more of an acceptance issue.

Thinking age and experience doesn't add to a person knowledge of anything is very naïve. It's as bad a when your kids think they know better. What a worn out cliché.

I make machined metal parts for replica props. This is as bad as when a person like me claims their parts have been recast. Recast is a common term used in a derogatory way to point out that someone stole another artisans "cast" resin work by recasting it. When you copy a machined parts it is normally done by reverse engineering, not recasting.

This Mark 3 is not a repaint.

Battle Damage Midas (if the BD is only an paint application) would be a re-paint. Stealth mode Midas would be a repaint. But the Midas we have in not a repaint

Compendia....

Back