MMS Diecast - Iron Man: 1/6th scale Mark III Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely leave it matte. I always preferred a more dull finish. For some reason, high gloss just make it feel cheap imo.

I've been meaning to do this for awhile, but I finally got my Mark 3 repainted after taking some inspiration from Inigou's repaint way back from 2015 in this thread. I airbrushed on the same smoke color he used, but decided to go just a bit darker than he did to try to match the burgundy of the movie and in the old Art Of book I have. And I also lightly brushed the gold parts with steel wool to give it more of that brushed metal look it had. The biggest pain of course was masking everything off first, which took freakin forever to do.

Obviously the figure is still a bit underscaled and lacking in articulation, but I didn't really feel like waiting for HT to make another more improved version. And I suspect even if they did, it still wouldn't be the right color anyway. :p

View attachment 406597

This looks fantastic!! :clap I can't believe I overlooked the previous repaint from inigou, but this does make the figure look a whole lot better. Which smoke paint did you end up using? I don't have an airbrush, but would a similar effect be possible with spray paint cans?

And if the 1/4 scale Mark III is anything to go by, any remake of this figure would still be the wrong shade of red. :)

Thanks! Here's the Amazon link to the paint I used. I definitely wouldn't risk using a spray can though. It was thinned down quite a bit for the airbrush, so that it could go on as a very fine spray, but with a can it would go on a whole lot heavier and be a lot harder to control (and if you tried holding the can back further you'd just end up with tons of obvious little specks).

https://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Colors-water-based-universal-SprayGunner/dp/B01HYCV5Q4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525587715&sr=8-4&keywords=airbrush+smoke

how do you guys feel about the diecast mark 3?

i’ve seen tons of reviews and i know the articulation has been a con of this particular one. as well as the height and paint.

i was looking to buy one and a local comic book store has one for $280 after tax. they also have the mark 45 but i think it’s closer to $400. another store has the mark 6 for $360. all diecast.

i don’t own any iron man for that matter so i’m not too concerned with the price compared to getting a really good one. i’d hate to buy one and it be the lesser quality one.

considering it’s my first one i’m a little turned away from the 45 due to no stark face. i feel like that should be something i should have.

however i’d be remiss if i didn’t say i’m a little drawn to the mark 3 due to the price but more so coupled with the fact it’s an iconic armor and one of my favorites.

would you consider buying either of these or is there another one that you recommend more?

Said to say... but I would recommend getting anything except the Diecast Mk 3. Even if you're ok with the color and size, the figure is extremely lacking in articulation and just not nearly as fun to pose or work with as something like the Mk 6.

Mark 6 all the way :lecture

Said to say... but I would recommend getting anything except the Diecast Mk 3. Even if you're ok with the color and size, the figure is extremely lacking in articulation and just not nearly as fun to pose or work with as something like the Mk 6.

*cough* MK6 *cough*

:lol

In all seriousness though, the Mk6 is hands down my favorite armor. But if you want something akin to the Mk3 in terms of iconic, purely red and gold with a circular chest reactor, then I'd say the diecast Mk4 that's available for pre-order. It also comes with a full Stark headsculpt, though in all honesty it is a bit inferior to the sculpt you would get with the Mk46/47/50.

Welcome to the forum!

thanks for the help guys i’m glad i found this forum.

i would love the 46 that would be my ideal one but not one shop around me has it and i doubt even ultron could scour the internet more than i did to find one.

ebay prices are ridiculous they’re $1,000.

i’m leaning towards the 6, i think the 45 is out of the race

i’ve seen tons of reviews and i know the articulation has been a con of this particular one. as well as the height and paint.

i was looking to buy one and a local comic book store has one for $280 after tax. they also have the mark 45 but i think it’s closer to $400. another store has the mark 6 for $360. all diecast.

i don’t own any iron man for that matter so i’m not too concerned with the price compared to getting a really good one. i’d hate to buy one and it be the lesser quality one.

considering it’s my first one i’m a little turned away from the 45 due to no stark face. i feel like that should be something i should have.

however i’d be remiss if i didn’t say i’m a little drawn to the mark 3 due to the price but more so coupled with the fact it’s an iconic armor and one of my favorites.

would you consider buying either of these or is there another one that you recommend more?

Definately go for the Mark 6.
I love the 3 and got it really cheap myself. But the 6 is the cream of the crop for IM figures.

85a00acd979723cbcd8b316702941047.jpg

3c14a3a52aee9cf01f14608b72ac2f54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it all depends on your preference. I, for example, knew what I was getting in the III, and I really like mine. That being said, if I had to choose between my III or VI, i'm going VI every time. It's just a better figure.

i know you guys are subjective because you’re more seasoned than i am but as someone who’s just looking to get into the hobby is the VI worth the extra $120 over the III?

and even at $390 for the mark VI is it worth it to jump on it now because the store has it?

Yep, it’s worth the extra. I really like the mk3, a lot more then most here, but the mk6 is the best figure hot toys has done so far. As for the price..I’d say it’s worth it. The mk50 is over 400 most places anyway so it seems in line.

Yep, it’s worth the extra. I really like the mk3, a lot more then most here, but the mk6 is the best figure hot toys has done so far. As for the price..I’d say it’s worth it. The mk50 is over 400 most places anyway so it seems in line.

I agree with everything in the post. MKIII is nicer than most will give it credit for, but the VI is a whole new animal.

Thanks! Here's the Amazon link to the paint I used. I definitely wouldn't risk using a spray can though. It was thinned down quite a bit for the airbrush, so that it could go on as a very fine spray, but with a can it would go on a whole lot heavier and be a lot harder to control (and if you tried holding the can back further you'd just end up with tons of obvious little specks).

https://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Colors-water-based-universal-SprayGunner/dp/B01HYCV5Q4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525587715&sr=8-4&keywords=airbrush+smoke

Thanks for the info! And I guess the spray can idea is out then. I'm not sure I want to buy an airbrush just to repaint this figure, but is there one you'd recommend?

I like the Mark 3 diecast figure, but it is very limited and imperfect, so you really need to love the suit to go for the figure over the others. The only other Iron Man figure I've owned is a plastic Mark 7 (variant), so I can't speak to the newer diecast figures. I'll throw in my vote for the Mark 46 though if you can find it online.

Just recently reposed my figures and noticed that my Mark III can't fully lift the legs up. Feels loose. Is it a common issue?

Considering picking this up.

IM is my favorite marvel film aside from Spider-Man HC. Also love IW so trying to decide which IM to get (one from one of those).

Any input from experts out there?

Thanks!

Considering picking this up.

IM is my favorite marvel film aside from Spider-Man HC. Also love IW so trying to decide which IM to get (one from one of those).

Any input from experts out there?

Thanks!

I Imagine you’ll be able to pick this one up quite cheap, the IW armour is very expensive. General consensus on here is that this figure is undersized, it certainly looks small standing next to the recent DC armours. Also the solid waist section hurts the poseability but the interchangeable torso bit does allow a fairly convincing landing pose. And there’s no ankle rocker, and no extendable shoulders...

I Imagine you’ll be able to pick this one up quite cheap, the IW armour is very expensive. General consensus on here is that this figure is undersized, it certainly looks small standing next to the recent DC armours. Also the solid waist section hurts the poseability but the interchangeable torso bit does allow a fairly convincing landing pose. And there’s no ankle rocker, and no extendable shoulders...

Thank you for the input. :)

Thank you for the input. :)

No problem, I hope it helps your decision making process. I should probably add that I do actually like the figure, the armour is a classic design. I just keep it on a separate shelf in the landing pose so the scale issue isn’t so apparent.

No problem, I hope it helps your decision making process. I should probably add that I do actually like the figure, the armour is a classic design. I just keep it on a separate shelf in the landing pose so the scale issue isn’t so apparent.

Thanks it is very helpful.

That’s the issue. I only buy from films I love: so that can only be IW, IM or spidey HC.

This is the classic but I can also see he flaws you point out so not sure whether to opt for a newer Mk.

Will have a think. :)

:duff

Back