Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 (July 14th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giphy.gif

Yeah, if they were lean two hour action flicks then I could get behind them and actually start going to the theater to see them again. But 2 hrs 43 min just to watch "Part One?" Hell no, lol.
Still shorter than Avatar isn't it though?

For some reason, this releases on Saturday here so I'll be checking it out then! Rewatched Fallout earlier this week and it is just a pure adrenaline rush for 2:15. Kind of concerned about the runtime, and it being a Part 1, but people seem to be loving it anyway so far.

For some reason, this releases on Saturday here so I'll be checking it out then! Rewatched Fallout earlier this week and it is just a pure adrenaline rush for 2:15. Kind of concerned about the runtime, and it being a Part 1, but people seem to be loving it anyway so far.
Yeah, movies usually open on Thursdays and sometimes even on Wednesday nights. I have to wait to next week now since my partner is away until Sunday - GRR!

98% on RT from 109 reviews - this is very promising! Let's hope the audience agrees like Top Gun: Maverick, and not like TLJ...
1688619567966.png

I absolutely love the second one, if anything it’s underrated to me. I do appreciate John Woos ridiculously over the top “stylized” action though, it’s always entertaining. I remember the soundtrack being fantastic too. I honestly don’t think it was trying to be hip, a lot of what you’re describing just sounds like Woo’s directing style. Oh and Cruise had his hair like that a lot throughout his career, I don’t think that was specifically for the movie lol.

Maybe as a John Woo film it's fine but with the way his style is so unlike the other films in the M:I series it really just grates with me. Because, yeah, I like Face/Off well enough, absurd though it is.

I just think it's too cartoony considering the tone M:I started with in 1996.

Maybe as a John Woo film it's fine but with the way his style is so unlike the other films in the M:I series it really just grates with me. Because, yeah, I like Face/Off well enough, absurd though it is.

I just think it's too cartoony considering the tone M:I started with in 1996.

Out of curiosity, when did you first watch M:I 2?

Saw it today and absolutely loved it. There’s a couple of exposition scenes that are a tad lengthy, but otherwise it felt like it flew by. Some absolute cracker stunts. The car chase was amazing and inventive. The cast was great. Hayley Atwell was awesome. Pom Klementieff kicked ass. Just really satisfying. Huzzah!
Recommend 👏👏👏

Saw it today and absolutely loved it. There’s a couple of exposition scenes that are a tad lengthy, but otherwise it felt like it flew by. Some absolute cracker stunts. The car chase was amazing and inventive. The cast was great. Hayley Atwell was awesome. Pom Klementieff kicked ass. Just really satisfying. Huzzah!
Recommend 👏👏👏

Very promising.

Recommend 👏👏👏
Yeah completely agree, although I thought even the dialogue scenes were terrific, it’s just such an extraordinary cast, all the new actors really brought their A game. Pom was just amazing, she barely spoke but gave you so much life in her character. Hayley, I don’t know what to say, she deserves such a huge career and it will be interesting to see her trajectory after these films. Part of me feels like this series could continue with her in the lead. Tom is Tom, Ving is Ving and Simon is Simon and they are just always so delightful. Please please please though don’t overstay like so many other franchises. Personally I still think Rogue Nation is the Everest of this series but damn this comes close at times. The train scene is eerily similar to DOD at times but this just kicks that out of the playing field.

I have some really minor quibbles. At times I felt like the Tom/Hayley scenes had these really awkward vibes to them and I would have shaved 15 odd minutes off the runtime. My kids were massively distracting during this so a second viewing might be required lol. This is the only film so far this year I am compelled to do that.

McQ and Cruise have become pretty unstoppable and the only game in Hollywood that has that perfect combination of popcorn entertainment that does not insult you at all.

8.75 out of 10.

The reviews have me excited - I feel like the MI movies have been getting better and better since 3.
Mostly agree. I still have a lot of time for the first film. A bit rough around the edges but they created the basic template and the CIA scene is still amazing. 2 like most other people say is meh but the action in the final act is pretty great. 3 and 4 I like but tbh don’t really do that much for me. 5/6/7 are where it’s at and they found the sweet spot. I can’t think of another franchise that maintained this level of quality across 3 consecutive films. Not even SW! Not even Bond! Haha don’t flame me.

Back