Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 (July 14th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Tom being crushed by the Barbenheimer counter programming locomotive juggernaut.

Cinemas are screwing Tom hardcore.

How quickly his TGM saving cinema was forgotten, yikes!

This was a bit meh for me. It's basically a string of action set pieces. The movie was very obviously stretched so that they can make it 2-parts. Sometimes, you can feel the action drag on a bit longer than it should.

Each set piece was fun in its own right though, but there is very little story going in between those set pieces. And if there is story to be told, it's all told in an exposition dump that is approaching anime-level monologuing dumps of exposition.

This was a bit meh for me. It's basically a string of action set pieces. The movie was very obviously stretched so that they can make it 2-parts. Sometimes, you can feel the action drag on a bit longer than it should.

Each set piece was fun in its own right though, but there is very little story going in between those set pieces. And if there is story to be told, it's all told in an exposition dump that is approaching anime-level monologuing dumps of exposition.
Sounds like a "watch it over 2 or 3 nights at home" kinda deal for me.

Really? There were tons of dialogue scenes. I thought the action scenes were spread apart nicely. I agree it does drag a little bit at times and probably should have been trimmed by 15 mins or so. The story is simple yes but all these films lately have had a fairly simple we need to get this macguffin and macguffin the heck out of it to stop the macguffin from macguffining up the planet.

You will see this, Khev, and you will report here what you thought.

If you sat through the epic-cartoon, Avatar -- twice! -- then you can make it through this.
I've only seen three of the previous six MI films in the theater. Skipped the last one, not really excited to spend all that time in a theater to only watch half a movie for a series I barely follow.

Really? There were tons of dialogue scenes.
Yes and most of them were exposition put there so both the main character and the audience will understand what is happening. Almost every time they'd stop to talk, it's for exposition.

Yes and most of them were exposition put there so both the main character and the audience will understand what is happening. Almost every time they'd stop to talk, it's for exposition.
Yes true and maybe those scenes didn’t work as well as similar ones in Rogue Nation and Fallout.

Yeah, I'm going into the meh camp as well. It was okay.

But in all fairness I'm not a huge fan of the franchise. Loved number 1 back in the day (the whole cinema gasping for air when the knife dropped onto the computer desk :) ), but this is by the numbers MI formula.

Again , it's not bad by any means, so if you like the franchise, it'll definitely scratch that itch.

Probably a 6/10 for me.

For me, it does not work because the the movie is basically about the protagonists trying to figure out what said McGuffin does, but we the audience already knows exactly what it is and what it does. All of this figuring out is done in large exposition dumps. The movie is basically trying to explain to you something you already know in vague terms so that the characters themselves are kept in the mystery.

I was in a meeting the other day talking about movies and I was the only person out of about nine who still went to the cinema. Everyone else had some excuse for no longer going from covid to dealing with bad behavior. Truly sad. I will keep going until the last cinema goes up in flames.

IMG_7605.jpeg

When we saw this my son refused to sit next to a stranger which made it hard lol. I’m constantly telling people to be quiet, put their phones away, stop kicking chairs. I don’t understand, I would have thought these people would be the ones staying home. There were two guys behind me in John Wick that were treating the cinema like their private screening room.

Back