Mass Effect 2 figures canceled??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just got this notice from BBTS:

"Hi - Diamond has just informed us that this item [Mass Effect Series 02 - Set of 4] has been cancelled by the supplier, and as a result they will not be able to fill our orders. We apologize for the inconvenience. We have cancelled all preorders and removed the item from our site. "

Boooooo!!!

I'm wondering if Series 1 will even see the light of day now.

This is curious, indeed. And the PS3 version of the game JUST came out. Why cancel now???? So they have time to make more Green Lantern stuff that won't sell?

ME3 is out later this year and would have provided enough buzz to support the DCD ME2 line throughout most of the year. This doesn't make sense and doesn't bode well for ME3 figures either.

DC Direct should never have been awarded the line. NECA was a much better choice, even with their love of variants. We'd have had several figures by now.

Looks like they weren't too happy...

On the ME2 Action Figures it looks like the first series is again delayed. We are all, including Treehouse, BioWare, and yourselves extremely frustrated with DC Direct. Their handling of this issue has been extremely unprofessional and disrespectful to fan. Once we get the ME2 Action Figure shipped we will not be working with DC Direct again. I'll update again if we have more news, but it looks like April is correct.
https://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/130/index/4941295/4

I think there's a good chance NECA could get the license. They said on Titter that during Toy Fair they were in talks for new game licenses.

Wow, that's some pretty strong wording from BioWare. But of course they're 100% correct.

DC Direct needs to stick to screwing over fans of their own IPs.

hate to say it, but good. DC direct makes TERRIBLE action figures.
Sure they look nice, but they've only got 90's era articulation.

either keep up with the times and trends as far as articulation goes, or just make Action statues, like they do with their world of Warcraft "figures"

I don't agree at all. DC Direct does great work. I don't miss the articulation in the figures. Yes, I buy the Green Lantern figures that evidently no else is buying. They look awesome. As far as screwing over fans, I am pissed about Mass Effect too, but what else are you talking about IrishJedi?

As far as I can tell, Mass Effect suffered because of the Warner Brothers/DC corporate restructuring. It seems like every line due out this winter was delayed. The remaining Blackest Night waves all got jumbled around too. The writing was on the wall when they announced no further IP's were going to be licensed. Then George Brewer was let go or resigned and the whole department was running rudderless until the executives finally put someone back in charge and got the production lines running again. Bioware has every right to be angry, but I think a lot of this had more to do cutting costs and less to do with DC Direct being clueless in regards to satisfying licensing partners.

As far as the ME license goes, I wouldn't go crazy shouting for NECA to grab it. They've abandoned plenty in mid-stream. Street Fighter is the best example. Their Harry Potter line has fallen into re-issues. If they can't guarantee sales with a first wave they cut their losses fast. I can't blame them, but not everything is Gears of War. I don't know if the ME fanbase is as cultish as the Gears fanbase. I am definitely in for any Mass Effect swag that comes down the pipe, but obviously my collecting patterns don't match everyone else who loves the franchise. Gears on the other hand seems to have tapped in to a really huge consumer friendly base.

I'm still waiting on Sideshow to show off their Commander Shepard proto.

Last edited:
I've been looking forward to these figures ( both series 1 & 2) since they were announced at last year's Toy Fair and I'm pissed that it came to this after the repeated delays. Series 1 was originally suppose to come out last summer for cripes sake. This is like the situation with Hyperchild when the Shepard statue was released but the Saren statue was cancelled.

Bioware/EA needs to find a parnter comitted to more than 4 figures and in scale to the soon to be released (April) DC figures. Hopefully, they can get Neca or McFarlane who can do much better articulated figures. If they make good buck combat armor, they can easily make varients or new characters. For a male buck combat armor; default male Shepard, Kaiden, Blue Sun Merc, Bataren (4 eyed alien). For a female buck combat armor; FemShep, Ashely, Liara, Eclipse Merc. They can get varients out of Garrus and Rex with with minimal changes and different Geth varients from the same base figure.

I wouldn't count on Mass Effect to have the legs of GOW or Halo so Bioware really needs to release as much as possilble near the ME3 release date.

Back