Marvel Main Events (Spoilers) [Currently Heroic Age]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Secret Invasion Discussion (Spoilers)

Have you guys read Dark Avengers #4? Boy is Venom gonna get it!:horror:horror

I thought it mildly amusing the way he kept pleading with Bullseye, but I really don't think Bullesye was kidding... I don't think so at all. :monkey3

And what's with the whole flirtatious act that Moonstone [Ms Marvel] is putting up?

I liked this issue... a lot. One of my best Marvel reads since Civil War #1.

Scar - what's the deal with the final scene... why did Norman break a sweat?

Actually wasn't big on this issue. I thought it was by far the weakest DA issue thus far. BMB fires on all pistons when he's writing with a purpose in mind, with an ultimate goal being striven towards. He tends to hit snags when there's a lot of time between point A and point B and he needs to supplement filler. I thought the dialogue was a little cheesy and petulant at times. I shouldn't see Osborn saying "Yea...", "Well...", "What did you...?", and "Right. Well...", "OK, well...", and "We--Hey--we..." among other things. It just seemed like the dialogue was written for Doom to explain things and then for the Dark Avengers to bicker like teenagers in study hall. Ultimately it made everyone look ignorant and stunted. The dialogue was where this issue really hit a full-on snag for me that I hadn't experienced yet in Dark Avengers, a series which I've been thoroughly enjoying. I certainly hope future issue arcs don't follow this model.

Another thing that REALLY took me out of this issue and was the nail in the coffin for me personally, was what happened to Morgana. Now this could just be because I'm such a paleontology nerd, but when she was transported back to England, 1 Million BC, where a rampaging T.rex is chasing a startled tribe of neanderthals... no. I'm sorry, but no. There's just NOTHING right about this scene, and it makes the science behind Jurassic Park III look dogmatic theory dredged from scholarly journals.
1.) We have no evidence of overwhelming neanderthal populations in England at any point, and NONE prior to 600,000 BC.
2.) Tyrannosaurus rex was exclusively North American and died out around 65,000,000 B.C.
3.) Finally and most importantly, dinosaurs and humans NEVER coexisted. Ever.
Epic fail on the part of BMB here. How this last unabashed inaccuracy, which any elementary school student can point out, made it into the story is beyond me. I would have expected more from BMB.

Perhaps the only part that I really liked here was the conclusion when the Sentry mysteriously reappears. It engenders the question, how can you even attempt to leash a man who simply can't be killed? ...at least not by any fathomable means known to man. The Sentry doesn't need to eat, drink, or sleep, and is someone who managed to survive being blown to atoms by Morgana (which as far as we can tell from the story thus far is what happened). The panel with the Sentry staring down the approaching Avengers is very powerful. Norman is rattled. It's the first time in a LONG time that we've seen something that makes him perspire in fear; the only other thing I can think of was when he became aware that his "greener" nature was becoming increasingly dominant... eventually leading to him embracing it but then pushing it under the rug to keep a grip on power. He is truly, completely afraid; to such a degree that I would even say at that moment he is terrified of Bob. On that page I found more meaning than all of the dialog packed into the issue. The realization dawns on Norman in that instant that this isn't someone he can control, at least not successfully for long. We're going to see the Sentry emerging as a more and more prevalent and powerful figure.

The question to which we do not yet know the answer is, in that singular frame is Norman afraid of the Sentry... or the Void? He had believed himself to have put Bob on a leash, but presumably the Void is the man in the shadows who Norman has been trying to convince Bob doesn't exist in order to cow and possibly mentally suppress the Void, "vanquishing" him in a fashion. Just speculation, but I wonder if Norman looked at Bob and worried that his plan had come unglued, that the Void may have become aware of his machinations. If so, that's not an enemy Norman can even begin to contemplate facing. A lot wrapped up on that one simple page, and a lot that's going to have people talking. The only redemptive page of the book for me. :D Immensely provocative.

I think Osborn was sweating because Sentry looks pissed and, as Bullseye said, who can stop him?

For me it is because Bob's expression is so very hard to read emotionally which makes it the most terrifying. It seems serene. A calm that begs many questions; is he calm because he is glad to have returned though not surprised at the outcome, or is he calm because he knows that no one, not a single soul from any place or time, can vanquish him? And if it is the latter, does that factor in an awareness of what Norman's doing, and a more sentient role for the Void? Very, very good writing from BMB, and ironically it's when he doesn't write for the characters to say anything at all. ;) Again, I really did feel that the dialog seemed rushed and infantile in this issue.

I'm quite surprised Bullseye is now this force to be reckoned with all of a sudden... I mean Venom pleading with Bullseye? Back in the day, that'll never have been the case.

Any thoughts on Moonstone's flirting? never knew she had the hots for Marvel boy... and Ares, was that just morbid curiousity or is he really into Ms Marvel [who wouldn't be, she's hot!! :D]

I've got to pick up that Thunderbolts issue you mentioned... what's the issue number please? :monkey3

Bullseye's threat doesn't surprise me in the slightest. If you don't want to go back to Bullseye's more infamous Daredevil appearances, I would highly recommend him in his Thunderbolts issues. The man can kill practically anyone if left unfettered, and he's well aware of it. It's not for nothing that he's known by the appellation of the world's best assassin.

The pleading here can be thought of as done by Gargan, not the Venom symbiote. Were Venom speaking at that moment, he likely would have simply reared up and attempted to devour Bullseye on the spot when Bullseye proffered his threat. Matt Fraction recently described Venom as a force of nature, a creature akin to a shark. I feed my piranhas live prey every other day, but I know if I stuck my fingers in and wriggled them around tantalizingly that my hand would emerge minus a fingertip at least. You can point Venom to a target and simply say, "Soup's on." Bullseye and Venom are very similar in that respect. You can't control them, but you can unleash them. When the symbiote inside Gargan grows hungry, he becomes more animal than man and seeks out blood to slake his thirst.

Thunderbolts 131; I am still stunned that Osborn was able to overwhelm Deadpool. :confused:

I'm not at all. Deadpool is a tough SOB, but Norman isn't a neophyte. It's important to remember just who he really is, and that a lot of people underestimate him thinking that because he's walking around in a suit and tie, that makes him a different man from the one wearing the mask, hurling pumpkin bombs astride an aerial glider, and tossing blondes off bridges. The X-Men are going to be learning that lesson the hard way soon enough. :D

Last edited:

I'm not at all. Deadpool is a tough SOB, but Norman isn't a neophyte. It's important to remember just who he really is, and that a lot of people underestimate him thinking that because he's walking around in a suit and tie, that makes him a different man from the one wearing the mask, hurling pumpkin bombs astride an aerial glider, and tossing blondes off bridges.

Deadpool and Osborn both intrigue me. They both are mentally unstable and completely unpredictable, however, their "status" in the MU is completely antipodal to each other. Deadpool, imho, is probably one of the most dangerous non-cosmic characters in the Marvel universe. Even Taskmaster has stated that Deadpool's fighting ability is superior to anyone he has copied someone (I can't remember who, but I am thinking it was Domino) stated that if he ever put his mind to it and wasn't so distractible, he would be undefeatable.

Deadpool and Osborn both intrigue me. They both are mentally unstable and completely unpredictable, however, their "status" in the MU is completely antipodal to each other. Deadpool, imho, is probably one of the most dangerous non-cosmic characters in the Marvel universe. Even Taskmaster has stated that Deadpool's fighting ability is superior to anyone he has copied someone (I can't remember who, but I am thinking it was Domino) stated that if he ever put his mind to it and wasn't so distractible, he would be undefeatable.

He's an incredibly skilled combatant, that's for damn sure. Still, his personality is an integral part of his character. In that fashion, it could be like saying Bullseye would be the ideal soldier if he weren't psychotic.

Deadpool is one of the deadliest individuals in 616, but I think his insanity and his penchant for thinking outside the box and defying the conventions of what others consider common sense makes him even more dangerous and peerless as an adversary. If you remove his insanity, to me at least, it would weaken him by placing him within customary conceptions of a rival.

He's an incredibly skilled combatant, that's for damn sure. Still, his personality is an integral part of his character. In that fashion, it could be like saying Bullseye would be the ideal soldier if he weren't psychotic.

Deadpool is one of the deadliest individuals in 616, but I think his insanity and his penchant for thinking outside the box and defying the conventions of what others consider common sense makes him even more dangerous and peerless as an adversary. If you remove his insanity, to me at least, it would weaken him by placing him within customary conceptions of a rival.

:lecture :lecture

Well said Scar... his "thinking outside the box" approach throws off prettymuch anyone, and that's why most of the guys he fights are like dude you are kidding, right? when Deadpool does certain things midway through a fight! :lol:lol I love DP, and his comic nature is part of what, ironically, makes him such a difficult adversary to overcome. I'm gonna dust up my old copy of Marvel Ultimate Alliance just to hear some of his classic catch-phrases again! :D

Still, I think Osborn underestimates him, where Fury clearly does not... whether Osborn will pay for his arrogance is sometime we'll have to wait to find out.

And [still] speaking of Osborn, what was the deal with him being so eager to get the Tony Starks picture [ in Made Men, Spymaster] only for him to burn i? That seems a bit petty to me... :monkey3

:lecture :lecture

Well said Scar... his "thinking outside the box" approach throws off prettymuch anyone, and that's why most of the guys he fights are like dude you are kidding, right? when Deadpool does certain things midway through a fight! :lol:lol I love DP, and his comic nature is part of what, ironically, makes him such a difficult adversary to overcome. I'm gonna dust up my old copy of Marvel Ultimate Alliance just to hear some of his classic catch-phrases again! :D

Still, I think Osborn underestimates him, where Fury clearly does not... whether Osborn will pay for his arrogance is sometime we'll have to wait to find out.

And [still] speaking of Osborn, what was the deal with him being so eager to get the Tony Starks picture [ in Made Men, Spymaster] only for him to burn i? That seems a bit petty to me... :monkey3

I think the biggest mistake people are making right now is just treating Norman as "the man" as opposed to taking into who he is and his personality. He makes it his business not to underestimate his opponents and to have an ace in the hole for anyone and everyone. Reeeeeeeally looking forward to the crossover with the X-Men in Utopia. Seems like it may be one of the more emotionally powerful runs in Dark Reign thus far.

I think the biggest mistake people are making right now is just treating Norman as "the man" as opposed to taking into who he is and his personality. He makes it his business not to underestimate his opponents and to have an ace in the hole for anyone and everyone. Reeeeeeeally looking forward to the crossover with the X-Men in Utopia. Seems like it may be one of the more emotionally powerful runs in Dark Reign thus far.

So you don't think Osborn underestimates DP? Despite how dismissive he's been of the difficulty the ThunderBolts have faced in taking down DP?

Have you ever seen the Batman animated series episode called "almost got 'im" where a bunch of bats villians sit down and talk about how they'd have gotten Batman except at one point in their plan they underestimated him? The reason I draw this analogue is that Osborn should have had DP with the vast resources of H.A.M.M.E.R, The Avengers and Oscorp. OK he sent in the "Thunderbolts" but c'mon, for starters these guys [Black Window II et al] aren't the original Thunderbolts [and even the original ThunderBolts couldn't take out Moon Knight] so again my question is, why send in these guys when he [Norman] has got Ares, Daken, Bullseye, and the other avengers at his beck and call? Not to mention the Hood [who also seems to be a bit of an errand boy these days].

I just feel like Norman's "toying" with DP and the truth is I don't think he'll be punished for his arrogance. The same arrogance that's seen him get beat by Spidey again and again and again...

I'm not saying Norman Osborn underestimates everyone, quite the contrary I agree with you that he's one of the better strategists alongside Von Doom, Starks, Fury and Reed... but in this case I feel he's underestimating DP, at least a wee bit.

Last edited:

So you don't think Osborn underestimates DP? Despite how dismissive he's been of the difficulty the ThunderBolts have faced in taking down DP?

Have you ever seen the Batman animated series episode called "almost got 'im" where a bunch of bats villians sit down and talk about how they'd have gotten Batman except at one point in their plan they underestimated him? The reason I draw this analogue is that Osborn should have had DP with the vast resources of H.A.M.M.E.R, The Avengers and Oscorp. OK he sent in the "Thunderbolts" but c'mon, for starters these guys [Black Window II et al] aren't the original Thunderbolts [and even the original ThunderBolts couldn't take out Moon Knight] so again my question is, why send in these guys when he [Norman] has got Ares, Daken, Bullseye, and the other avengers at his beck and call? Not to mention the Hood [who also seems to be a bit of an errand boy these days].

I just feel like Norman's "toying" with DP and the truth is I don't think he'll be punished for his arrogance. The same arrogance that's seen him get beat by Spidey again and again and again...

I'm not saying Norman Osborn underestimates everyone, quite the contrary I agree with you that he's one of the better strategists alongside Von Doom, Starks, Fury and Reed... but in this case I feel he's underestimating DP, at least a wee bit.

Oh he definitely could have used any of the resources at his disposal, including Bob, to take out Deadpool, but the fact is that the Avengers, HAMMER, etc. are Norman's face of public justice. Being that Deadpool is not only alive but attempting to extort money from Norman is a huge threat to his standing in the public eye, which we have seen time and again he is not willing to jeopardize right now as he solidifies power. To deal with Deadpool, he doesn't want him apprehended, he doesn't want Deadpool shooting his mouth off before video cameras as he's hauled away. The point of the new Thunderbolts team is that they are meant for Norman's "dirty tricks". The Deadpool mission isn't about following legitimate means, it's about calling in the individuals he employs to slip the knife between one's ribs in a darkened room. The T-bolts are meant to get in, get out, and deal with their target without leaving a blood trail back to Norman. It's a means of removing Deadpool from the situation without making it appear as if he was directly involved... even though Deadpool eventually took that option out of the equation. That's the nice thing about Deadpool - he never ceases to surprise and throw a monkey wrench into the works. :D

Sorry, but Norman Osborn stint going on stinks. Yes he was a great charcter years ago. I am just ready for the whole Dark Reign to be over. Ready for the next event.........

The most powerful and adult writing for Norman collectively was his role in T-Bolts; the book took heroic protagonists out of the equation and delved necessarily into the psyches of the traditional antagonists, principally Norman. Warren Ellis evolved Norman into the character that BMB felt was set up perfectly to take the reins in the wake of SI. I'm loving DR personally, and admittedly it's because I like to see the heroes in a position other than the authoritative role with the law behind them. It's an intriguing take to have one of the most infamous villains in Marvel history as the new sheriff in town, now writing the laws, and suddenly all of the heroes we have known and loved as fugitives.

SI could have been much, much more; it was hyped in such a way that the final product fell drastically short of expectations for most, with a large number of fans feeling that the fights with Skrulls was diluted, mostly because the truly dirty brawls such as the Panther's encounter with the invaders would have forced readers to pick up virtually every Marvel book on shelves. DR is exactly what it advertised itself to be; it's what I expected and I'm quite pleased to say the least. Also, you can pick up just a few select books and still be contented. It's working out well like that... but I'm a villain junkie, so I'm all over the map, particularly for Osborn-centric issues of various series.

I still think we should have a sticky thread for DR, rather than continuing discussion over the coming year in the SI thread. Sadly I'm not a mod so the ball's in another's court. ;)

Last edited:

You ask the mods nicely is how you get a sticky, not by whining in a thread.
That is how you don't get them to stick it for you.

The sagacity is boundless. Done.

Thanks for the compliment. You shouldn't quit so easy.
Would "The Great Norman Osborn" quit?
(To be honest, no he wouldn't, he would wait for one of his "fool-proof" plans to implode before quiting.)
Grow up, post a request in the Dark Reign thread and even send a mod a pm.

Thanks for the compliment. You shouldn't quit so easy.
Would "The Great Norman Osborn" quit?
(To be honest, no he wouldn't, he would wait for one of his "fool-proof" plans to implode before quiting.)
Grow up, post a request in the Dark Reign thread and even send a mod a pm.

It wasn't sarcasm. The PM was sent moments after I posted. The manner of framing the suggestion seems puerile.

Re: Marvel Main Events (Spoilers) [Currently Dark Reign]

Anyone pick up the T-bolts issue from last week? I have to say I'm really hoping this series kicks back into high gear. Ever since the Deadpool/T-bolts crossover I've been markedly disappointed. This latest issue seemed like what should have been merely half of an issue, as to how Mr. X was recruited onto the team. The man is an extremely formidable opponent, and the way the mission seemed to be explained to the team, it didn't appear like, at the time, anyone was aware of his complicity with the T-bolts, nor expected him to come over to the team so easily. I'm sincerely hoping Diggle starts to deliver once again with this book as he did when writing with the old crew in the wake of SI.

Also, thanks Shell for adjusting the title! Much appreciated! :D

Also, thanks Shell for adjusting the title! Much appreciated! :D

You're most welcome pal :rock
I don't always pop in here so when the story changes, just remember to pm either myself or dr2red to changed the [currently.........] in the title for you. :rock
x :peace

Thanks for the title change Adoptedscot.
Will help in the long run.

Back