LOST discussion - thar be spoilers ahead!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting, but I truly believe the creators had no clue about the direction the show would be going or even had an idea of what the ultimate big mystery would be when they were writing the pilot.

i would agree with that ............im sure they had a general type idea of what they wanted to do as in "lets have a plane crash with these people that wind up on an island and throw so many mysterious happenings into the mix.....but they can and will be explained scientifically.......we dont know exactly what were gonna do but we'll keep people on the edge & guessing".
i think that the story they set out to tell grew out of control beyond scientific explanation and that has been gutted and now were watching episodes with sci-fi overtones.
it would be so cool if ever they release a cd box set after the show ends that would show a bull session of the ideas that get thrown around by the producers and writers. from what we've seen on the actual episodes nothing seems too crazy.

Go and watch the first scene of the Season One Pilot, where the show opens on Jack on the ground in the jungle. Tell me if it reminds you of Ben's "teleporting" into Tunisia. There is an interesting sound effect right before he wakes up all disoriented and his pupils dilate. Also, his fingers (left hand) are kind of trembling as if they were just holding something--and on the ground beside him (above his left shoulder), you can see something that resembles one of the black cylindrical/telescoping batons that Ben had with him in Tunisia after he teleported, and which he handed over to Locke before heading into the Orchid (presumably to keep away from Keamy when captured). It seems a bit thicker than Ben's, but it's definitely not bamboo and it is presumably there on purpose.

Of course they've continued the extreme closeup of the opening eye which has become a nice motif for the show, but I'm with you that something is afoot there with the "arrival".

When Jack was telling the fake story about swimming from the wreckage to the island in the last episode I kept thinking that the writers were stressing that Jack (and the other survivors I assume) waking on the beach and not remembering the actual crash was important.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the "crash" did not occur the way we naturally would assume it occurred. It's an important part of the show's time line the writers haven't touched upon.The only thing we've seen about the actual crash is when The Others see the tail section splitting off from the fuselage. Who knows what mysterious phenomenon could have affected the survivors just before impact?

That's interesting, but I truly believe the creators had no clue about the direction the show would be going or even had an idea of what the ultimate big mystery would be when they were writing the pilot.

This is probably true, but it doesn't mean that the events of the crash and tiny details in the pilot don't tie into the big mystery.

Part of the skill and fun of episodic writing like this show, comics like Sandman and Charles Dickens's novels, is the ability to include "throw away" details and exploit them later, making it seem at the end as if the payoffs were planned the entire time. Dickens's books were written and published in weekly or monthly installments and his great talent was to still end up with a coherent novel at the end that read as if it had been outlined and carefully plotted out.

Great writers, which I think the Lost team has, will return to the original episodes, and search through them for details, mistakes, odd bits (such as Tom pointed out) that they may then write into the larger story and big mystery. And I have no doubt that details like the Adam and Eve skeletons and the duality conversation Locke has with Walt about "light and dark" sides of backgammon (a reference we saw again in the last episode) were intentionally planned as part of the overall big mystery.

Just a thought about the Adam/Eve skeletons - what with all the time funkiness - what about the couple that were buried alive? I know the location is wrong - but it's an interesting parallel.

Just a thought about the Adam/Eve skeletons - what with all the time funkiness - what about the couple that were buried alive? I know the location is wrong - but it's an interesting parallel.

Your right actually I was thinking about it last night but I could not pinpoint anything for sure
Thanks for that so maybe Nicky and Paulo are the Adam and Eve of the Island???:horror

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the "crash" did not occur the way we naturally would assume it occurred. It's an important part of the show's time line the writers haven't touched upon.The only thing we've seen about the actual crash is when The Others see the tail section splitting off from the fuselage. Who knows what mysterious phenomenon could have affected the survivors just before impact?

We know how the plane crashed, it was in Juliet's flashback. It got all purple and the "others" looked up and saw the plane fall apart in the sky.

We know how the plane crashed, it was in Juliet's flashback. It got all purple and the "others" looked up and saw the plane fall apart in the sky.

Yes, the PLANE crashed -but did the people? Was the purple the transporter beaming them down to the beach?

As I said, we saw the fuselage break apart from the ground. We did not see the impact or what happened from within the plane itself.

As for Niki and Paulo... :rolleyes: the writers are smart enough not bring back that crappy duo, and certainly not have such terrible characters be important tie-ins as the Adam and Eve skeletons.

As I said, we saw the fuselage break apart from the ground. We did not see the impact or what happened from within the plane itself.

As for Niki and Paulo... :rolleyes: the writers are smart enough not bring back that crappy duo, and certainly not have such terrible characters be important tie-ins as the Adam and Eve skeletons.

It was dumb to devote an entire episode to Nikki/Paulo when they really served NO purpose. Hope there are not any more episodes like that in the future.

Man, this show has just kicked so much ass this season.

BTW, I finished the video game tonight ("Via Domus"). For the life of me, I can't understand why it received such awful reviews. I can see why diehard gamers (and the ADD/FPS crowd) would hate it, but if you're a fan of the show it's great. It's like LOST's own KOTOR game in a way. I really enjoyed it.

It was dumb to devote an entire episode to Nikki/Paulo when they really served NO purpose. Hope there are not any more episodes like that in the future.

If the pace of season four is any indication, they just don't have the time for filler episodes like that any more.

FYI, I just read that one of the actresses who has been with us since season one is hammering out a contract that will see her leave the show for season five and then return for season six. It sure seems like that would have to be Claire, but I don't like the idea of waiting until 2010 to see why she was in the cabin with her deceased father.

And my main complaint about the video game was that it was too short. It was fun to explore the locations and interact with the characters--it was all just over too fast.

Also, the Jesus line last week was one of my favorites as well.

:D

The ominous black chap from LOST appears to be joining the writers of Fringe on Fox ... what will that mean for the series? :confused:

Does anyone else think that Lost may need more than two more seasons too have a satisfying conclusion?

i think they could wrap it up in 2 seasons if done right. but i think that this seasons finale will dictate the pace of the next 2 seasons. if the next 2 seasons are like this one we are in for a ride.

Does anyone else think that Lost may need more than two more seasons too have a satisfying conclusion?

I dunno, my wife and I have been feeling the opposite.... Considering how far they've come this season (nearly concluding the story of the survivors' lives from the crash to the 'rescue'), I'm having a hard time figuring out what the heck they will fill another 2 seasons with! I've always imagined the "end" of the show would coincide with the rescue of the survivors. That arc seems to be concluding within this very season. I don't know if I'm interested in 2 seasons of LOST that take place back in the homeland, dealing with the survivors sorting out their 'issues' and what not. Two seasons is a looong time, I don't know how they are going to fill it out.

Back