Lord of the Rings New DVD Set - Release Date 1/17/2006

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know what would be different, didn't they already do a extended boxed set when the ROTK EE came out?

Jesse

TolkienCollector said:
It looks like a straight repackage ta me :confused::confused:

TC :google

seems like it... My sis got the ext trilogy box, and this one looks the same, except for the "platinum series" at the top...
:confused:

LOTR Set

I think the difference must be the "DTS" referred to in the title and description; I may be incorrect, but I think the audio upgrade to DTS is 6.1 vs the 5.1 of the original release. There are doubtless techno-savy posters out there that could confirm or correct me on this, though, and explain what this means.

I don't have access to my movies right now, but do the other editions have dts? Other that that I don't see any difference.

warlock664 said:
I think the difference must be the "DTS" referred to in the title and description; I may be incorrect, but I think the audio upgrade to DTS is 6.1 vs the 5.1 of the original release. There are doubtless techno-savy posters out there that could confirm or correct me on this, though, and explain what this means.

The extended edition gift sets of the others were also DTS and also labeled Platinum editions. The only difference I can see here is that they are all three in one box. Of course if you were one of the lucky ones to get the bonus box offered through New Line that holds all three sets then you've pretty much got this exact set already.

LOTR Box Set

oxbeard said:
The extended edition gift sets of the others were also DTS and also labeled Platinum editions. The only difference I can see here is that they are all three in one box. Of course if you were one of the lucky ones to get the bonus box offered through New Line that holds all three sets then you've pretty much got this exact set already.

Just checked mine, and you're right, of course; the EEs were already Dolby Digital AND DTS ! However, your theory regarding the BOX being the only difference is also incorrect. True, empty boxes were made available through a mail-in offer for a short time to collectors buying ROTK, who had previously purchased FOTR & TTT, but the entire EE Trilogy was also available in stores as a boxed set starting the same day ROTK was released. Stores in our area (Wal-Mart, FYE) STILL have boxed sets of all 3 readily available. So, I guess there must be NOTHING new in this "advance order"!

warlock664 said:
but the entire EE Trilogy was also available in stores as a boxed set starting the same day ROTK was released. Stores in our area (Wal-Mart, FYE) STILL have boxed sets of all 3 readily available. So, I guess there must be NOTHING new in this "advance order"!

Had completely forgotten about that.

Did anybody miss out on that box offer? Is there somebody out there who has all three extended editions but doesn't have the special box to put them in?

Relly nothing new about this "new release", probably just a problem with the software on www.buy.com.

It happens on Amazon all the time: When they are offering the same release at a lower list price, the release date in the item description is sometimes changed and you can pre-order it before it will be ready to ship at that price.

But if you are looking for the ultimate SEE DVD Box, check this one, the Wooden Chest box from Taiwan, limited to 2000 pieces.

I have it in my collection and I think it's one of the coolest DVD editions I own.

See the attachement for pictures, a complete review can be found here: Skullface

RodLonghi said:
It's just a marketing strategy to sell more copies.

No, I'm sure there is no "marketing strategy" at work here.

It just looks like Buy.com is out of stock and they are expecting more in on the date mentioned on the page. The set is exactly the same, including the price.

goliath said:
It happens on Amazon all the time: When they are offering the same release at a lower list price, the release date in the item description is sometimes changed and you can pre-order it before it will be ready to ship at that price.

Yeah, when I clicked on this thread I figured it would be someone getting confused over a price drop on a certain date, but the price is the same.

Either Buy.com is out of stock and is awaiting more product, or someone incorrectly listed the new price after the drop.

tomandshell said:
Did anybody miss out on that box offer? Is there somebody out there who has all three extended editions but doesn't have the special box to put them in?

Yeppers.. I missed out on it.. :(

tomandshell said:
me 2:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Back