Legolas & Gimli on Arod

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agent23 said:
Especially Aragorn at the Black Gates.

I have wanted Aragorn on Brego since I started collecting SS/W.

Same here.
And I consider it to be Aragorn upon Brego

I have both Leg and Gimli statues but I'm getting them on steed also, just couldn't resist. The only one of the rider on steed series that I'm passing is Gothmog on Warg... I like the warg but Gothmog ruins the piece IMO.

revilal said:
Same here.
And I consider it to be Aragorn upon Brego

I agree. I think of it as "Aragorn on Brego" rather than "Aragorn at the Black Gates" since Aragorn very memorably charges on foot at the Black Gates. The only time he can be seen charging on his horse like that "at the Black Gates" is when he is riding away from them, after beheading the Mouth. So if this is a "Black Gates" statue, then it represents Aragorn running away from the bad guys, not towards them.

If it is simply "Aragorn on Brego" charging at some generic non film accurate time, then I have no problem with the pose. The fact that he is supposed to represent a specific moment in the film--a moment which doesn't exist on screen--is what bugs me about this piece's title.

This is just regarding the title--the sculpt itself is great, I just wish they would have called it "Aragorn on Brego" to match the rest of the "______ on ______" titles in the rider and mount series.

Actually, the pose does exist on screen but in the shot it's from a very far distance. I'll see if I can dig up that screen shot.

Here is where I believe the pose comes from though as I said it's not exactly the best pic.

But that's when they're retreatng from the black gates. You can hardly say the Weta piece is the same as in that pic! The statue is charging, not running back to his troops! Aragorn is bent forward, sword outstretched, with a shouting expression on his face. If the statue was from that moment, he'd be charging his own troops! The statue is not from any moment in the film, period.

FrodoEyes said:
But that's when they're retreatng from the black gates. You can hardly say the Weta piece is the same as in that pic! The statue is charging, not running back to his troops! Aragorn is bent forward, sword outstretched, with a shouting expression on his face. If the statue was from that moment, he'd be charging his own troops! The statue is not from any moment in the film, period.

Really? You got proof to back that statement up Frodo? :rolleyes:

It does look like they are retracing their footsteps from when they went up to the gate in the first place. Looks like that is a shot of them retreating to their initial position. And is the edge of the opening gate visible on the left side, with the armies of Mordor marching towards them just in the background? It's a small picture and hard to tell.

It is them running from the gate opening but if you notice when he pulls up he has his sword raised high still.

I have the day off, so I propose that I double check by watching the entire trilogy straight through for the first time since "Trilogy Tuesday."

tomandshell said:
I have the day off, so I propose that I double check by watching the entire trilogy straight through for the first time since "Trilogy Tuesday."

Sounds like a plan to me.:banana

FrodoEyes said:

I agree with you, I just watched the scene(s) at the black gate again, and couldn't find anything like the statues' pose. And the blurry picture above is really a section of this:

blackgate.jpg

They should have called the piece, "Retreat!" or better yet, "Fall back!" Then it would have been film accurate... ;)

Neither piece has drawn me in enough to pre-order them. Infact, I'm actually disappointed in the "Fall Back!" pose, so that one holds less of an attraction than the "Yikes! I'm falling off of Arod", said Gimli piece... ;)

Well technically he is "at the black gates" he is just running away from them now real real fast.

Jesse

jlcmsu said:
Really? You got proof to back that statement up Frodo? :rolleyes:

All the proof you need is in the statue Josh! He's charging! Head down, sword pointed infront, horse running, shouting his head off! If he were heading back to his army I'd leg it if I were them!

Back