Asmus LotR Crown series: how will you handle upgrades re: your existing collection?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little nude spindly guy in a speedo is tough to pull off.

But I know you'll try.

:D
I know a lot of people scoff at exposed joints but honestly I'd take a 1:6 scaled version of NECAs Gollum/Smeagol and I'd be more than content...

Any type of thin rubber body is bound to deteriorate and become useless over time.

And since Gollum/Smeagol is so small, I would suggest extra sets of arms and legs for different statuesque poses. And then also include articulated versions. I think you'd solve most of the issues going that route.

And of course since I use diorama style bases heavily in my collection I'd prefer a nice base with him too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Totally, the joint-less bodies may crack over time. I'll take one with exposed joints as long as the joints are done right. 3 headsculpts for Golem will do, Normal, Angry, Sad.

... I would suggest extra sets of arms and legs for different statuesque poses. And then also include articulated versions. I think you'd solve most of the issues going that route.

I would highly prefer different sets of joint-less arms and legs (Mr. Potato-Head style) over any exposed joints. I think most would be posing him in that four legged stance, anyway.

... 3 head sculpts for Gollum will do, Normal, Angry, Sad.

That would be perfect. Maybe change the "normal" to "happy". One could capture Gollum or Smeagol and provide the literally bare-boned figure some additional accessories to justify the price.

I guess they could also add the following:

- Several fish: One complete, one with a bite out of it and one just the head and spines.

- The one ring as well. (To go with the happy sculpt.)

- Sam's Elven lasso.

- Elven Lembas wrapped in the leaves.

- A stone to smack Sam's head with...

I know a lot of people scoff at exposed joints but honestly I'd take a 1:6 scaled version of NECAs Gollum/Smeagol and I'd be more than content...

Any type of thin rubber body is bound to deteriorate and become useless over time.

And since Gollum/Smeagol is so small, I would suggest extra sets of arms and legs for different statuesque poses. And then also include articulated versions. I think you'd solve most of the issues going that route.

And of course since I use diorama style bases heavily in my collection I'd prefer a nice base with him too.

I hope you’re reading this, Asmus! Great ideas!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would highly prefer different sets of joint-less arms and legs (Mr. Potato-Head style) over any exposed joints. I think most would be posing him in that four legged stance, anyway.

That would be perfect. Maybe change the "normal" to "happy". One could capture Gollum or Smeagol and provide the literally bare-boned figure some additional accessories to justify the price.

I guess they could also add the following:

- Several fish: One complete, one with a bite out of it and one just the head and spines.

- The one ring as well. (To go with the happy sculpt.)

- Sam's Elven lasso.

- Elven Lembas wrapped in the leaves.

- A stone to smack Sam's head with...

You nailed it!

It will be on a case by case basis but I don't mind having a second Gandalf the Grey. The only question is whether I'll upgrade the head on my original one, as well.

As someone who has tried to ignore this line as much as possible due to the heavy investment it would require (I most likely would have to have a complete fellowship!), can someone share some background on it?

From reading this and other threads, it sounds like Asmus released a bunch of figures in this line a few years ago, but they then released improved/"Slim" versions of some popular characters? And now they're going to re-release even more improved characters under this Crown line? Is that right?

What's the difference between the original figures and the Slim versions? Which characters are considered best in this line (I am only interested in the fellowship and a potential Gollum)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would really appreciate someone taking the time to respond!

As someone who has tried to ignore this line as much as possible due to the heavy investment it would require (I most likely would have to have a complete fellowship!), can someone share some background on it?

From reading this and other threads, it sounds like Asmus released a bunch of figures in this line a few years ago, but they then released improved/"Slim" versions of some popular characters? And now they're going to re-release even more improved characters under this Crown line? Is that right?

What's the difference between the original figures and the Slim versions? Which characters are considered best in this line (I am only interested in the fellowship and a potential Gollum)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would really appreciate someone taking the time to respond!

I'm kind of in the same spot last year as you and I'm still in the same spot, lol. I got Gimli and with this crown line announcement, I got Gandalf on order. I'm waiting on Aragorn and Legolas to get upgrades as I don't think the current versions are good enough, well maybe Aragorn but he's too hard to find. Gimli is a safe starting point as it is a very well done figure and I don't see them upgrading him too soon. (I don't collect the hobbits though).

As another who has always been interested, but never quite sold on the final versions of the characters who would have been 'gateway drugs' for getting me into collecting the line, the potential of this new crown series really has piqued my interest, and if Asmus can meet production near what they have shown in the Gandalf proto, then they'll definitely get me to finally step over the verge and part with my cash. And if they can then continue that same level of quality with key characters then I'll likely go all in. Especially if they can deliver an Aragorn, Boromir and/or Legolas to the same standards as the new Gandalf, then I'd be very hard pressed to walk away, and at that point I'd maybe even try to grab a select few of the nicer regular releases too. So that'd be another high end line I'm likely on the hook for... :lol

Personally I'd love to see a matching crown edition Saruman with fully haired beard, too, at some point. Just sayin'. :wink

Can't tell u all as I don't collect LOTR that much - but, so, ASMUS is a relatively new company (u can look up) and put out the Fellowship. Getting started there were some bumps - early on some figs had weak ankles, or a sculpt was off - but unlike a lot of companies ASMUS 1)engages with fan community and 2)their stuff is labor of love, with outstanding to-scale costuming. E.g. an energetic company that's working out the kinks.

So, some Fellowship members got re-released "slim" versions that have less accessories, basically. Due to demand.

This past year seems to have been a banner year for ASMUS; really hitting their stride with Thorin, Gimli, and Bilbo; then Arwen and Eomer. E.g. when in production sculpts, costume, accessories all come together.

As for the Crown releases suspect they are a (wise) end result of ASMUS seeing talented customizers over the years re-hairing and doing the kind of work a customizer would do. ASMUS I think like any company has to find a balance between production cost and sales. (This is kind've a niche market and at the moment there's no big movie to fuel Middle Earth hype, tho the Amazon series may change that). Anyway, clearly there's a (limited) market for pricier figures - like HT's diecast IMs.

So yeah, it may well be that those jumping in now (and paying more) don't hafta run into buying a duplicate figure (like I already own Gandalf). Unless ASMUS has flat out said they are going to put out all the Fellowship as Crown figures u may take a risk, in theory, of having a collection that is partly Crown figures, and partly "regular". It's up to the individual collector to decide if they need to upgrade or not; or if every figure they have has to be top of the line.

That's just the risk with any 1/6 company as u don't know what they will make. Even HT puts out prototypes that never make production. Far as I can tell, ASMUS does put out what they have said they are going to. Apparently Gandalf the White will be up next in the Crown line. GTG is 350$ vs. the original 200$ so folks will have to decide what they want to pay. (Although, unusually, apparently ASMUS is going to make a separate head sculpt for sale for those who already have GTG.)

IMO tho Gimli is good enough there's no point in re-releasing him. Apparently there's enough of a demand for Gandalf and others (like a rooted-hair Legolas) that ASMUS is willing to take the risk of production as a Crown item (tho I don't know if Legolas is up for re-release).

Finally, these ARE limited production runs. U can't even get Aragorn now for a reasonable price. Overall, as someone who futzes and appreciates detail, I'd tell a new collector to scoop these up even if there are some things that bug you. 'Coz ASMUS cares about what they are doing and are working hard. There's a whole paragraph on their web page about producing their own pleather so it doesn't fall apart like other 1/6 companies pleather. Often diecast weapons. The figs are unique. It's a good time to start collecting ASMUS IMO.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and insights! I am still trying to resist this line, but every time I remember how good the Crown Series Gandalf looks, my wallet starts sweating again!

Is the slim version of Frodo considered one of the best figures in this line? He looks pretty great to me and seems to be a great price for a 1/6 figure, but I'm not sure on the consensus on him.

Dumb question ... Is it confirmed that Asmus will offer the new rooted GTG hair & beard headsculpt upgrade?

I think the only figure I?d really want to replace is my slim Aragorn/Strider. The costume, face and hair could all be greatly improved upon and as he?s my favourite character I need a better representation of him. I was lucky enough to skip GtG at the start so I could jump in on the Crown release. Others that are regularly requested including The Witch King, Eowyn, Saruman, Legolas and the Hobbits; I?m actually completely happy with. A Witch King with full Diecast armour is just not necessary but the robes and base body could certainly be upgraded.

I would however buy alternate outfit versions- so a grubbier version of Frodo n Sam with eleven cloaks & tooted hair or their Mount Doom look, Armoured Merry & Pippin (obviously,) Helms Deep Legolas and Aragorn, Black Gate Aragorn w Brego.

There are still quite a few important characters to release first thought like Faramir, Denathor, Gollum,Galadriel, and then the big names from the Prologue, not to mention all the various soldiers I?m hoping for from every sector of middle earth as well as Orcs and Uruk Hai- I need soooo many Uruk Hai!

Lastly, for those still on the fence about diving into this line, I was the same two years ago, thinking that some figures just didn?t quite resemble the actors enough but then I saw the pics of Gimli and thought ?well that?s amazing and I have to have it? which grew into ?I?ll just get the holy trinity of Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn to rep LOTR in 1/6 scale? and then I added Boromir because his outfit looked so great so then had to get all the hobbits to round out the Fellowship and after that I just caved and bought everyone. I think it happened at the perfect time because I got a lot of used stuff off eBay which I?ve never seen again like the ACI Wraith and the Asmus Steed, an unopened Mouth of Sauron andGothmog and Guritz. I?ve also bought most of the Sideshow Weta statues (used) to fill in the enemy ranks. Basically, if you love LOTR then you?ll love having these figures in your collection.

I think the only figure I?d really want to replace is my slim Aragorn/Strider. The costume, face and hair could all be greatly improved upon and as he?s my favourite character I need a better representation of him. I was lucky enough to skip GtG at the start so I could jump in on the Crown release. Others that are regularly requested including The Witch King, Eowyn, Saruman, Legolas and the Hobbits; I?m actually completely happy with. A Witch King with full Diecast armour is just not necessary but the robes and base body could certainly be upgraded.

I would however buy alternate outfit versions- so a grubbier version of Frodo n Sam with eleven cloaks & tooted hair or their Mount Doom look, Armoured Merry & Pippin (obviously,) Helms Deep Legolas and Aragorn, Black Gate Aragorn w Brego.

There are still quite a few important characters to release first thought like Faramir, Denathor, Gollum,Galadriel, and then the big names from the Prologue, not to mention all the various soldiers I?m hoping for from every sector of middle earth as well as Orcs and Uruk Hai- I need soooo many Uruk Hai!

Lastly, for those still on the fence about diving into this line, I was the same two years ago, thinking that some figures just didn?t quite resemble the actors enough but then I saw the pics of Gimli and thought ?well that?s amazing and I have to have it? which grew into ?I?ll just get the holy trinity of Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn to rep LOTR in 1/6 scale? and then I added Boromir because his outfit looked so great so then had to get all the hobbits to round out the Fellowship and after that I just caved and bought everyone. I think it happened at the perfect time because I got a lot of used stuff off eBay which I?ve never seen again like the ACI Wraith and the Asmus Steed, an unopened Mouth of Sauron andGothmog and Guritz. I?ve also bought most of the Sideshow Weta statues (used) to fill in the enemy ranks. Basically, if you love LOTR then you?ll love having these figures in your collection.

Well, I will have 2 Gandalfs since I got the original, will try to get a new sculpt. This is fine by me as Gandalf is - everywhere.

I could be wrong but suspect nothing like this will be made again - at least combining degree of care with affordable-ness. Middle Earth is timeless. Also probably renewed Middle Earth hype as Amazon is going all-out with its series, pouring lots of money in. So then I will be gald to have these figs which by then will only be available from re-sellers $$$$$$

Back