Legendary Musicians

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you getting these stats from Tom? :tap Oh I really got to get me a George Strait figure. WHO? Looks like it is the trout for you. :slap

Now stop it, or I am going to have to get you know who, to get the Juggernaut to come pay you a visit.

George Strait is a country and western singer. I am finding this stuff from the Recording Industry Association of America, who are the ones who officially certify gold and platinum album/record sales.

(Why do we still refer to record sales? Is there anybody left with a record player? I always laugh when I hear about the Grammy for "Record of the Year." Why not "Reel to Reel of the Year" or "8 Track of the Year" instead?)

tomandshell said:
(Why do we still refer to record sales? Is there anybody left with a record player? I always laugh when I hear about the Grammy for "Record of the Year." Why not "Reel to Reel of the Year" or "8 Track of the Year" instead?)

I have a record play and once in a while I actually listen to albums. I just made myself feel very old.

tomandshell said:
George Strait is a country and western singer. I am finding this stuff from the Recording Industry Association of America, who are the ones who officially certify gold and platinum album/record sales.

I'm with you Batty. I play records regularly and pick up albums for 50 cents, these days.

Now Tom, maybe I should research what the Australian record Industry says are the top selling gold records. I would prefer them as the governing body. I wonder if there is any biased in the American record Industry. :nono Ima gerna hafta slap you good biiiiiiccchhh marther. I would have expected Dolly Parton to be on there somewhere. Time to get a new female body in the works Sideshow. George Strait, selling that many records and remaining anonomous is quite a feat. You didn't name your RWoS after him, obviously.

I think we can presume record sales is an abbreviation of recording sales, just to settle arguments. Keep up with the stats Tom, it is funny. Amazing that any Poms made the list at all. No Beatles, and you don't wanna know what Ima gerna do to your helmet for that, bish.

Batty said:
I have a record play and once in a while I actually listen to albums. I just made myself feel very old.

Here's a new avatar for you, Batty!

battyavatar1te.png

:D

Re: Number Four Ain't Bad...

tomandshell said:
(By gold record status alone, you could argue that Chip Davis of Mannheim Steamroller is more of a musical legend than Bono from U2. However, if you made such an argument, I would reach through your monitor and choke you with one hand while punching you in the face with the other...)

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

tomandshell said:

Oh man, I have a record deck and still play Vinyls regularly. Some stuff just dont sound right on CD. Sometimes, just sometimes, the digital process takes a lot of the soul from a record. Not all music is meant to sound crisp and clean. Sometiems a track benfits from the hiss and dirty sound of vinyl.

I know a lot of people (probably most in fact) wont agree with this, but thats fine. its all about personal taste. But CD isnt nessercerily better than vinyl. The early black Sabbath CDs sounded awful. same with Motorhead. Same with The Stooges. Certain types of music suffer from the transfer to crispy clean CD. Others are greatly enhanced by it.
But vinyls are still cool. People will always collect vinyls i think.

Creecher, I can understand why you may not have heard of George Strait, because of your location. If you lived in Texas, you would know who he is. George Strait is not anonymous by any means. By many he is considered the king of country music. He has been releasing albums since 1981, and every album he has released has gone at least gold or higher. I could list all the awards he has won, but it would be easier to just list his website so you can see yourself, if you are so inclined. www.georgestrait.com. Sorry for the long post, :lecture but being a native Texan, I couldn't let somebody say that George Strait is anonymous. :D
Also, sideshow, if you wanted to sell a George Strait likeness I would definitely be interested.

Batty said:
Thanks, Tom!

:( I am a record playing guy too. I thought you would play with me, but maybe I am too old. :baicon6: :toilet_cl :winkpumpk

Thanks for enlightening me in such a friendly fashion Sabertrooper, and thank you for your understanding and level headed response. I appreciate it very much. Welcome to the board as well, even though you have been here for a while, I hope you can dismiss much of the nonesense I post, if you hadn't already noticed.

There are many famous musicians that remain anonomous to us across the globe, I didn't mean any disrespect, and just was having fun dispelling some of the assumptions that Tom was bringing to the fore. I am sure Tom knows that, and is taking it in the humourous light it is intended.

creecher said:
I'm with you Batty. I play records regularly and pick up albums for 50 cents, these days.

Now Tom, maybe I should research what the Australian record Industry says are the top selling gold records. I would prefer them as the governing body. I wonder if there is any biased in the American record Industry. :nono Ima gerna hafta slap you good biiiiiiccchhh marther. I would have expected Dolly Parton to be on there somewhere. Time to get a new female body in the works Sideshow. George Strait, selling that many records and remaining anonomous is quite a feat. You didn't name your RWoS after him, obviously.

I think we can presume record sales is an abbreviation of recording sales, just to settle arguments. Keep up with the stats Tom, it is funny. Amazing that any Poms made the list at all. No Beatles, and you don't wanna know what Ima gerna do to your helmet for that, bish.

Creecher, this is turning into a fun thread! The RIAA does track sales of non-US artists, but I think that their certifications refer to sales of albums sold in America. Not sure. As for The Beatles, they are number one for groups, and Elvis is number one for solo artists. Also, I do enjoy Australian artists--I just picked up some tickets to take my kids to a concert with The Wiggles, and they are from Australia! I always appreciate having your Australian perspective on the board. Next time I'm down under I will stop by and we can listen to some records together!

Hey Creecher. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't offended at all. Just passing on some info. Speaking of country artists hailing from Australia, have you heard of Keith Urban? Very talented guy. Getting back to the legendary musicians line, when I first heard it was coming out, the first thing that came to mind for some reason was the beatles in 1/6 scale. Don't know why. I could definitely see sideshow doing a PF elvis. That would be huge if done right. I guess since the first in the line to come out is KISS, it just shows that sideshow could pick anyone. Who knows? We shall see.

The wiggles started as a rock band called The Cockroaches. As a matter of fact, Keith Urban was a mean rock player before heading off to America.

Hey Tom, what you mean next time? You a jet setter. Let me know and you can slip on by. Not much to offer. My flat is cramped but you are most welcome.

Saber, I could tell you weren't offended, more taken umberance to one of your heroes being overlooked, when he is blatantly of note. I feel the same about The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, not in the same 'famous' league, but that they, I feel, have been overlooked, though not in Britain.

Sabertrooper said:
Hey Creecher. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't offended at all. Just passing on some info. Speaking of country artists hailing from Australia, have you heard of Keith Urban? Very talented guy. Getting back to the legendary musicians line, when I first heard it was coming out, the first thing that came to mind for some reason was the beatles in 1/6 scale. Don't know why. I could definitely see sideshow doing a PF elvis. That would be huge if done right. I guess since the first in the line to come out is KISS, it just shows that sideshow could pick anyone. Who knows? We shall see.

Keith Urban? Bah! To bubblegum country for me.

If you offered me a million dollars to tell you one George Strait song without checking on the internet first, I would go home poor and frustrated.

Creecher--I look forward to visiting. Get the Vegemite ready for me!!

Hey! I just hit 2000 posts!! Hooray!!

tomandshell said:
If you offered me a million dollars to tell you one George Strait song without checking on the internet first, I would go home poor and frustrated.

Creecher--I look forward to visiting. Get the Vegemite ready for me!!

I can do it! I'll take the million dollar prize!

You can buy an awful lot of vegemite for a million dollars. It is made from the refuse of beer brewing. A vegetable extract it says on the label. Aussies love it, everyone else, we don't care about. :monkey5

Congratulations on the 2000 posts Tom. I got most of mine from frequenting the sand box. You, on the other hand, seem to use your brains, research and knowledge, with humour thrown in. Well done.

Well Viking28, I will agree with you that Keith Urban is bubble gum country, especially when compared to George Strait, but sometimes a little bubble gum is fun in moderate doses.:monkey5
Creecher, I have never heard of The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, but I will check them out since you speak so highly of them.

Back