LAST CALL!!! - 1/6 Scale Miami Serial Killer Slide Box by Corrose.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: WIP - 1/6 Scale Miami Serial Killer Slide Box by Corrose

3/15 Update:

Modeled the back hinges (page 1). My plan is each hinge half will be molded into the top and bottom box halves, respectively, and Im hoping the printer can pick up the compound paths so that I can have a real lynchpin in the hinges and it actually can open and close. May try printing a second version with the hinges separate, because there could be issues with the top and bottom halves not lining up correctly.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of molding the hinges right onto the top and bottom halves. A real pin would be ideal too.

Exactly, I'm going to guess that my lynchpin model will be too small to print, and if that's the case, I can just clip some thick gauge floral wire and run it through the channel.

Im tentatively hoping to have the modeling done by the end of the weekend and place an order for some samples of the box. Generally the printers can turn around prints in about 7 business days.

The other challenge I have to try to figure out is the front latch. If any of you have seen one of these in person, you are familiar with how that latch flips up. Ideally Id love that function as well, but that piece is going to be so tiny, it may be impossible to print as a separate piece (and cost more), so I may try to figure out a way to design that latch look into the front where, when closed the latch looks like its locked down. Would people be fine with the front closing latch being cosmetic and not functional?

Thoughts on that?

Last edited:

The hinges being a part of the halves means less chance of a hinge falling off too, so I'm all for that.

When you start an interest thread, throw my name on there please. Looking forward to seeing that first pic!

Yeah that's how I'm leaning as well. more pieces means more room for error, and more pieces means more cost. Hinges are just not enough of a detail to need it separate, so I think I will go that route.

Any ideas about the clasping lock?

I edited post #23 to talk about that, I modified the post after you read and responded, lmk your thoughts on it.

So it would look like it does in the pics on post #1?

I have no solution. I am just a guy. I can't think of any way to make a clasping latch in that scale.

What about the slides?

No, the image on page 1 does not yet have that latch piece modeled, I know it needs to be on there, because its part of the design, but I'm really anticipating that the latch will not be able to physically flip up and down. I know HOW to make it work, it's just the reality of doing it in such a small scale. I'll get something figured out regardless.

The slides are another working challenge which I'm going to try to solve for.
With the slides as they are, designed to scale are too small to print in most materials the printer uses. The only material they can print in at a size this thin is a more expensive material that will make the cost of this slide box go through the roof. If I cannot find a printer who can do these correctly, I have a couple of other options I will explore.

Update: modeling is complete! Finished hinges, figured out how I want to handle the front clasp and added "bumper" feet to the bottom.

Would love feedback.

Photos on page 1

Sent my files off to the printer to get a sample made.
My fingers are crossed that they can pick up the tiny details on the sculpt. Will post photos when the samples arrive.

Exciting news!
I just got a UPS notification that they are shipping me my first print of the 1/6 slide box much earlier than I had thought, should have it in hand this Wednesday.

My fingers are REALLY crossed that the printer is able to pickup all of the fine detail including the slots for the slides, hinges etc.

Stay tuned for updates!

Back