Premium Format Kylo Ren

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you gonna pick up the 1/6 Hot Toys to hold you over? I'm thinking about it.

Already did last week and I waste a lot of time just staring at it:lol

12345980_1490896834553150_666715690_n.jpg

I just hope this guy isn't a victim of the insane new pricing structure, the latest PF is $600... Ouch.

agreed! just saw the movie for a second time yesterday afternoon and really want to add this guy but won't if the price it too and if it doesn't have a good enough EX. I've been slowly adding up RPs to afford Vader but I don't want to have to do that here

One truth, one purpose ?*Surrender your soul to Xiall, the Great Osteomancer | Sideshow Collectibles

Hasn't gone up yet, just a preview which contains the price... Absolutely insane...

She is up, went up early today. It is insane though...we are pretty salty over in the Xiall thread.

Better be 30 inches at that price...

Close. She's 26 in. and she has a SUPER simple base.

...I still REALLY want her. Here's hoping I win her from the contest! Otherwise I'll wait for a discount.

This. Is. Stupid.

These price hikes seem to have no validation. And if they did, please come out and tell me SSC. I am more than happy to listen. But being ignored and then these things keep happening... It's horse ****.

I'm upset because I've only been in the hobby a couple of years and there is no such thing as a consistent price... The answer is yes, I am mad bro...

One truth, one purpose ?*Surrender your soul to Xiall, the Great Osteomancer | Sideshow Collectibles

Hasn't gone up yet, just a preview which contains the price... Absolutely insane...

Wow, that is surprising. The pricing seems to be very random now. It wasn't that long ago they put up "Aquaman" for pre-order at $430 and "The Temptation of Lady Death" at $400. And those two came out after "Batman red son" at $490. Granted there has been newer ones at higher prices after, like the ones I mentioned in my last post. Like Red Sonja at $550, but that one had a huge detailed base.

I understand that things like mixed media/fabrics, large bases, Batman is really popular and other factors I don't know about (time used on re-sculpting/creating?) would make a difference. But the differences in price have been so huge the last six months. I really don't understand it.

Oh, and if Kylo ends up costing (close too) $600, then I really need to sit down and think it through.

Xiall is 26" with the long staff. On herself, she's a standard sized female PF, has a tad more mass than Red Death.
As for Kylo, I wouldn't pay more than 450$ for a PF covered in clothes, so I hope it falls in that range.

If Kylo costs more than 500$/€, this will likely be my last PF!

I paid 240€ for my first PF (Talon), than 300€ for Shaak Ti (and also Mythos Boba) and 320€ for Malgus and around 400€ for
the upcoming Boba PF...so the prices nearly doubled in the last 2-3 years! :thud:

With a supposed pricetag of 599$ for Kylo, i`m simply ( edit. finally...:fireworks:woo)
’’’ outpriced of/fromm this ...seems like collecting SSC is rich men`s playground now...:Flush

Really doubt it will be $599, it just doesn't make sense. Current releases in that price range have a far more complex design than Kylo, even the Vader PF isn't that expensive. Sideshow would have to go for a huge price increase to sell such a simple piece for $599. I mean really the only tricky thing is the lightsaber and a potential unmasked head.

But I must admit, I will get this PF no matter what the price is (I mean even if it's $599, not gonna pay $1,000 for it of course) simply because there is nothing else on the horizon as far as big TFA-related pieces for now, and being very hard to please I buy very few collectibles, so when there is one that "matters" in my eyes I just go for it.

But I must admit, I will get this PF no matter what the price is (I mean even if it's $599, not gonna pay $1,000 for it of course) simply because there is nothing else on the horizon as far as big TFA-related pieces for now, and being very hard to please I buy very few collectibles, so when there is one that "matters" in my eyes I just go for it.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I got the HT First Order Squad Leader and it just rubbed me as a oversized action figure after a few days with it. I'm not really into toys anymore, and would rather buy one really nice statue than two or three Hot Toys. End of the day I won't have nearly as many characters represented on my shelf, but I'll be proud to display the few I have. The price sucks, but it is what it is. Hot Toys are creeping up to. Probably an effect of the economy nearing full recovery.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I got the HT First Order Squad Leader and it just rubbed me as a oversized action figure after a few days with it. I'm not really into toys anymore, and would rather buy one really nice statue than two or three Hot Toys. End of the day I won't have nearly as many characters represented on my shelf, but I'll be proud to display the few I have. The price sucks, but it is what it is. Hot Toys are creeping up to. Probably an effect of the economy nearing full recovery.

Yes that's exactly the problem I have with the 1/6 line, and for now I am literally interested in two TFA-related pieces (this PF and the Anovos helmet) so it's not like I am gonna have to spread the budget over many purchases. Especially with those insane wait times in-between releases.
Now, if HT decided to release a 1/4 Kylo with the same level of detail and attention as the new Iron Man ones, I would say count me in, especially if the lightsaber has a better light-up system than the 1/6 version.

In the end it's really about getting the best pieces rather than aiming for quantity as far as I am concerned. A new movie with new characters and props is the opportunity to start fresh and be super picky from the get-go if you want to :) Like you say, less busy shelves, less characters/versions but that's fine.

I think Hot Toys will eventually get around to doing Kylo Ren. Their initial line-up at 1/4 is pretty good... Fett, Vader, and a Stormtrooper. The only issue I have with figures are visible joints. The seam is distracting and sometimes (with shoulders and hips) a huge gap is unavoidable. With this character, that won't be an issue.

Really doubt it will be $599, it just doesn't make sense. Current releases in that price range have a far more complex design than Kylo, even the Vader PF isn't that expensive. Sideshow would have to go for a huge price increase to sell such a simple piece for $599. I mean really the only tricky thing is the lightsaber and a potential unmasked head.

The new COTD that costs $600 really doesn't have much too it.

The new COTD that costs $600 really doesn't have much too it.

Compared to Kylo's design it belongs in a museum haha. Beautifully intricate piece imo. Kylo will be 80% cloth and is pretty much all black.
Not to mention, for anything Star Wars they get all the files/measurements from the related departments and are able to sculpt them through a software if they want to, on the COTD pieces they have to start literally from scratch. The process is quite different, they don't really have to come up with anything except a cool pose and the best way to make the lightsaber look accurate.

Compared to Kylo's design it belongs in a museum haha. Beautifully intricate piece imo. Kylo will be 80% cloth and is pretty much all black.
Not to mention, for anything Star Wars they get all the files/measurements from the related departments and are able to sculpt them through a software if they want to, on the COTD pieces they have to start literally from scratch. The process is quite different, they don't really have to come up with anything except a cool pose and the best way to make the lightsaber look accurate.

The sculpt isn't all that much work actually, it's considerably easier to do a sculpt like that cause small imperfections in symmetry can actually make it look better. The paint job is considerably better, and they're charging as if what they showed is what they're gonna deliver. However it's not going to be so :|

The sculpt isn't all that much work actually, it's considerably easier to do a sculpt like that cause small imperfections in symmetry can actually make it look better. The paint job is considerably better, and they're charging as if what they showed is what they're gonna deliver. However it's not going to be so :|

Yeah, that's true unfortunately... The gap between the prototype and the product delivered to the customer often is way too big.
At least I guess we are kinda safe with this one, there isn't much to screw up when it comes to the paint job haha.

Yeah, that's true unfortunately... The gap between the prototype and the product delivered to the customer often is way too big.
At least I guess we are kinda safe with this one, there isn't much to screw up when it comes to the paint job haha.

Wanna bet? Getting that chrome look on his mask with clean tight lines will be a tough ask of the factories for sure. Even getting it looking metallic is beyond them from what we've seen of late. I'll clean that up if need be, I'm just hoping for a sensible price.

Back