Justice League Movie (Nov 17th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I just saw your update.

There wasn't anything that 'didn't work' or was 'goofy' about All-Star Superman. Morrison achieved what he set out to accomplish with flying colours, and along with Frank Quitely produced a timeless and classic Superman story, that is more progressive and forward-thinking than anything being done with the character right now. I would go so far as to say that Grant Morrison, from a writers perspective, single-handedly brought Superman into the modern era and he did it without succumbing to the frankly boring hyper-realism and depressing cynicism of contemporary Super-hero (and other) literature.

I made a list of bronze age stories that are better, and I've included the number of the issues and year they were published.

It's a bit long.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Heh, is that so? ;)

I know that you knew I was baiting, which is why you kept asking me to "elaborate", but then you pretended (maybe) to fall for it by giving me a real response defending Allstar Sups, to make it seem like you fell for it, which is why you are using the wink.

However, you can't prove that you knew, so perhaps you did fall for the bait and you are using the wink to save face. Nice try. HAHAHA.

TwLGdch.jpg

;)

I know that you knew I was baiting, which is why you kept asking me to "elaborate", but then you pretended (maybe) to fall for it by giving me a real response defending Allstar Sups, to make it seem like you fell for it, which is why you are using the wink.

However, you can't prove that you knew, so perhaps you did fall for the bait and you are using the wink to save face. Nice try. HAHAHA.

;)

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/supe...hat-great-1536321/?page=1#js-message-11334637

I saw you coming from a mile away my friend.

That "How so?"? Was an opening I gave you, I knew you'd go straight for a classic crows.

You've got heart kid, but you have a long way to go...

Oh, I just saw your update.

There wasn't anything that 'didn't work' or was 'goofy' about All-Star Superman. Morrison achieved what he set out to accomplish with flying colours, and along with Frank Quitely produced a timeless and classic Superman story, that is more progressive and forward-thinking than anything being done with the character right now. I would go so far as to say that Grant Morrison, from a writers perspective, single-handedly brought Superman into the modern era and he did it without succumbing to the frankly boring hyper-realism and depressing cynicism of contemporary Super-hero (and other) literature.

Just started reading it, and it seems insufferably silly...
I think I still like Kingdom Come Superman better. Or The Dark Knight Returns Superman. Or Justice Superman.

I will try to keep reading though.

Abake is not one to bait, I think, which makes his post more misguided ;_;

Those are not particularly stand out Supermen, he's even misrepresented in 2 of those stories.

Justice and Kingdom Come aren't particularly great either, it's Alex Ross what sells those to people.

He draws a hell of a Superman though, but most of his other characters look like 40 yo cosplayers.

maxresdefault.jpg

All-Star is the epitome of the character, it's the litmus test for whether or not you actually like Superman and not one of his rationalizations.

Coco beats the Man of Steel + the Dark Knight.

:lol

Unbelievable.

Did anyone think Justice League would be #1 again with a Pixar movie opening on Thanksgiving weekend? JL is still doing ok for the holiday weekend but it was never going to beat Coco with what JL grossed last week.

Ask Gaspar. :wave

As a Superman fan, I can tell you he never had his Year One or TDK. The TPs aren't that good either. I would recommend the following though:

- Superman vs Spiderman. It's silly 1970 team up and very naive, but THAT is Superman in all its glory
- the complete Death/funeral/Rebirth is just awesome. Death and Rebirth are just... Okay stories I guess, but the funeral part, without Superman, is just a gem. It makes you understand why Superman is so important in that universe
- if you're into origin stories, the 80s reboot, Birthright or the current official one, Secret Origins, are all very good.
- I personnaly hate All Star Supes and quite love Kingdom Come, but I don't consider KC a Superman story, more of a DCU story.

Other than that, there are some very good individual stories from all eras gathered in the many anthologies, some great Elseworld stories (like Red Son) but they're not your typical Supes. and I repeat, Supes still has to meet his Frank Miller.

image.jpg

Yep. Baby's first Supes comic is also the best one.

:lol Haha that's pretty much the perfect way to say it. It was the first one I read too and I kept reading more to chase that original high. But no matter how far I went it never compared to the first time. Just kept chasing that dragon. It encapsulates what Superman is perfectly. And I don't think it's just for people who love the silly silver age stuff - MoS is still my favourite of all the current era of MCU / DCEU cape movies and that's a totally different take.

Always take ASS!

I liked Red Son as well but that's not a real superman story by any means.

I also agree about the killing joke being highly overrated. I'm guessing the savagery of it at the time was just shocking what with what happend to Barbara and the way they treated Gordon, as well as the ambiguous ending.

The "best" Superman stories are always going to be subjective, but I like For All Seasons, All-Star Superman, What Do You Get For The Man Who Has Everything, and Superman vs. The Elite.

Back