just cancelled Jabba..... *snif*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Carnall

Formerly hunky_artist
Reaction score
oh well, I've been wrenching with this idea for a while now, but I've just cancelled my Jabba set up order from Forbidden Planet (jabba... throne... creatures.... Bib). and I'm bit down about it :monkey2

I've waited to own a great replica of this set up since i was 11 when I saw ROTJ, and then this was announced... and I genuinley couldn't have been happier (and I know a lot of you feel the same) But at this point in our lives both Jane and I are trying to do all we can to lower our outgoings... and to bring in more money into the house (trying to clear off loans, credit cards, bills etc) so no matter how much I want it... I can't with all conscious spend £232, whilst at the same time talking to jane about not buying monthly magazines that we don't need.

so..... he's gone. But I am keeping Legolas and Boromir still on order. My thinking that I enjoyed working on my Aragorn so much (and it's gotten me a few custom orders) that I'll keep those and work on them the same. So Jabba has gone.... now I can concentrate on the good stuff of bringing more money in by doing customs, repaints, resculpts, building new bases for my 12" figures, wall panels, floor panels, lava droid bases etc.......

and boy am I looking forward to it all :D (it will help with the bad mood of drooling over all your Jabba photos, lmao... but hey, I'll buy it in the future when I'm rich.... lol)

I admire your self control and restraint. I am pulling for you if SS ever has a contest to win one.

Khev said:
I admire your restraint, HA, very well done. And remember, SS will no doubt offer a spectacular Jabba's palace in their new Diorama series! :)

I have to echo what Khev said.... Your restraint is indeed admirable.... I always have a hard time letting go of those big ticket items that I love so much. Moreso that I even sacrifice other things in my life to afford it. Yes, my fiance may not mind now... but I mind. Lately, I've tried to cut back as well...

hunky_artist said:
oh well, I've been wrenching with this idea for a while now, but I've just cancelled my Jabba set up order from Forbidden Planet (jabba... throne... creatures.... Bib). and I'm bit down about it :monkey2

I've waited to own a great replica of this set up since i was 11 when I saw ROTJ, and then this was announced... and I genuinley couldn't have been happier (and I know a lot of you feel the same) But at this point in our lives both Jane and I are trying to do all we can to lower our outgoings... and to bring in more money into the house (trying to clear off loans, credit cards, bills etc) so no matter how much I want it... I can't with all conscious spend £232, whilst at the same time talking to jane about not buying monthly magazines that we don't need.

so..... he's gone. But I am keeping Legolas and Boromir still on order. My thinking that I enjoyed working on my Aragorn so much (and it's gotten me a few custom orders) that I'll keep those and work on them the same. So Jabba has gone.... now I can concentrate on the good stuff of bringing more money in by doing customs, repaints, resculpts, building new bases for my 12" figures, wall panels, floor panels, lava droid bases etc.......

and boy am I looking forward to it all :D (it will help with the bad mood of drooling over all your Jabba photos, lmao... but hey, I'll buy it in the future when I'm rich.... lol)

I am with you Hunk. I ended up canceling my Jabba setup from SSC and ordering just the Jabba figure and Sal pack from Fireside here for 130 bucks. I just couldn't rationalize the extra 255 it would have cost for the throne and small inclusive items. I have been slowly but surely paying my credit card bills down. So, I can understand having to put priorities first. In the end, it came down to the throne or T2 Arnie and T-1000 plus an exta 155 to buy figs in the future. I knew I couldn't afford it all unless I wanted to immerse myself in the "Dark Side" of debt once more. As a friend joked a few weeks back, "Can you still call yourself a fanatic if you aren't willing to go deep into debt anymore?" Uh, I think so.... :D

P.S. The throne may be hard to come by later, but the figure itself will be easy. I plan to create a Barge diorama out of him ... so I can have the "unique" setup. Just wait and when you can afford it, get the figure. I know everyone wants to say, "its all or nothing" but the Jabba is what matters, plain and simple.

DarkArtist81 said:
I have to echo what Khev said.... Your restraint is indeed admirable.... I always have a hard time letting go of those big ticket items that I love so much. Moreso that I even sacrifice other things in my life to afford it. Yes, my fiance may not mind now... but I mind. Lately, I've tried to cut back as well...
I hear you. It was a tad embarrassing putting off getting Dagobah Luke for the time being after all the excitement and anticipation I expressed but spending $350 right before Valentine's Day (with other expenses related to raising a baby to take care of) just didn't seem right. So I opted for Frodo instead since he was cheaper and had a lower ES. I know people snagged Luke/Yoda for around $200 on ebay so I'll just keep watch in the future for a good deal.

Not buying something always risks it getting out of reach in the future if the secondary market increases but its even sillier to put a strain on the truly important things in life to buy something like a statue or action figure. :)

hunky_artist said:
I just figure one day I'll be rich and I'll buy it off one of you lot :lol

I'm thinking the same thing, but not about Jabba, just stuff that I like in general. I should be there in about 4 years.

I think you did a good thing H_A.

Besides, honestly on some level don't feel better? When I canceled my Jabba et al order I was sad but I felt strangely liberated at the same time.

Me too. In addition to feeling a bit of relief afterward, I strangely felt the need to buy something else to replace the grief of cancelling... something A LOT cheaper obviously. Funny, eh? :rolleyes:

i felt like that pixle when I'd sold a whole load of my old collectables and toys on Ebay whilst having a clear out. Once it's gone, all the things you've been hoarding for years, you suddenly realise "huh... I don't miss it AFTER all"

but jabba's a new toy..... and I like new toys, lol

still... better to not spend money I don't have now, try to earn more money and save up, and then buy it all back later... than to totally skint myself trying to buy one cool thing now

and it's not like Jabba was the only thing I wanted (ed-209... power loaded..... endoskeleton..... etc) too many toys... tooo manyyy toyssssssss :rotfl

hunky_artist said:
too many toys... tooo manyyy toyssssssss :rotfl

Too many toys and never enough space. I cancelled Jabba awhile back to find money in the budget for some Hot Toys stuff and when I was done I realized I dodged a bullet in that -- a) how was I going to display Jabba? I'd have to buy a whole thing. And b) (as I'm a big believer in rotating displays to keep them fresh) how was I gonna store Jabba and his gang? I'd have to buy a whole thing to store him in.

I really need a museum wing to my place with someone on salery to act as curator.

:monkey2
I too cancelled my Jabba...
I hate it too...but...there are others....
That I want more.

Maybe one day...I will get him and his court. :dunno

One can hope!

My Jabba shipped and will be here in a few days and... well... instead of being excited about getting him I'm actually feeling dread. I looked at my credit card statement and I'm feeling serious Buyer's Remorse. I have no place to display him and no room to store him. What was I thinking?!?!? I was so overwhelmed when I saw him at ComiCon that I had to have him, now, I think 8 months have let reality set in. If I decide to send him back for a refund, I eat shipping costs both ways. Guess I'm stuck with this Fat Boy now whether I want him or not. Careful what you wish for.

You can't send him back for the refund. Shipping is too much. If you still feel this way after he's been displayed for a couple months... look to eBay or try him as tradebait. But hey, he's still a watershed figure in the Star Wars line. I think of him as a European car. Beautiful to look at, a status symbol, but possibly higher upkeep. When you get him, post some pics of him facing off with ED 209. I'd love to see that.:D

Back