Johnny Depp gets $56 million for Pirates 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you think there's something very wrong with our society when you can make $56 million for pretending to be a pirate but can't even buy a house teaching the fifth grade?

Move to Cuba. You have a choice whether or not you participate in this, uh, 'obscenity'. :lol

Move to Cuba. You have a choice whether or not you participate in this, uh, 'obscenity'.

I choose by pirating pirate movies. :)

How interesting though to value worth in monetary terms alone. Pretending to be a pirate outranks every other effort!

he is the franchise. why should the suits make all the cash. he deserves as much as he can squeeze out of them

As a teacher I agree with this but the issue is that Actors, Sports Celebrities are in a privatized business where their salaries are also in relation to the revenue they bring in. We don't have that benefit.

Maybe teachers should get a "retirement package" that includes a certin percentage of whatever their students make :)

Usually Depp takes a percentage of what the movie, merchandise, etc. take in. Maybe this is a guestimate of what they is? Or maybe the Studio would only give him a lump sum this time?

I love movies and all, but what a waste of major money when the country is in an economic crisis. The bailout should draw money from resources like this. There's tons of money out there just sitting around waiting to be signed over to people and so much goes to one person just to do something he has fun doing.

Government should invokes laws on entertainment venues like sports and film, etc. to control what sort of money people get and use the rest to irradicate homelessness and things like that.

Just to throw this out to a Red Sox fan, how would you like it if your team had a salary cap? Do you think they'd be in the position that they've been in for years without having, I think, the second largest payroll in baseball? ;)

Though I agree with you that entertainment people are way over paid, whenever I complain about my job and how much it pays, there's always someone telling me that if I don't like my job, to get a new one, to get more schooling, to do this or that and then I can make more money. I don't think I'd like the goverment controlling what ANYONE makes. They already sorta do that with minimum wage.

We can only hope that Depp pays it forward a bit.

This is America land of opportunity not the land of fairness and equality. Conversely when an actor no longer draws an audience he doesn't get work but once a teacher gets tenure they can't be fired whether they are good or not.
If life were fair everyone would work and everyone would pay taxes.

Just to throw this out to a Red Sox fan, how would you like it if your team had a salary cap? Do you think they'd be in the position that they've been in for years without having, I think, the second largest payroll in baseball? ;)

Actually, in my thought, the existing payroll situation would exist, just dramatically decreased. The A-Rods and Depps of the world would still be the highest paid in their profession, but how much they'd be earning would be at a more rational level.

I just get perplexed when the news is full of panic messages over money situations and then along comes some news like this. Depp's got a great life as far as monetary things he could buy, probably well more than enough, he doesn't need so much. If everyone in the U.S. took home $100,000 a year we could all live really nice life-styles, but it's out of whack.

As has been said, entertainers have us by the balls, we don't like that they're paid what they're paid, but at the same time, what they provide gives us an escape from our lives so we rely on them. It's a viscious circle.

Actually, in my thought, the existing payroll situation would exist, just dramatically decreased. The A-Rods and Depps of the world would still be the highest paid in their profession, but how much they'd be earning would be at a more rational level.

I just get perplexed when the news is full of panic messages over money situations and then along comes some news like this. Depp's got a great life as far as monetary things he could buy, probably well more than enough, he doesn't need so much. If everyone in the U.S. took home $100,000 a year we could all live really nice life-styles, but it's out of whack.

As has been said, entertainers have us by the balls, we don't like that they're paid what they're paid, but at the same time, what they provide gives us an escape from our lives so we rely on them. It's a viscious circle.

It sure is!! It's really too bad that more don't share the wealth sorta speak. Have a money pool of some sort, but then you'd have to worry about it making some people lazier. I mean, I hate the fact that my tax dollars are ending up in people's hands that do nothing or are given money simply because they birth a child out of wedlock or without support. This might just make it worse. Nothing is simple. :(

It's not a vicious cycle, it's justice. They wouldn't be making that kind of money if they weren't providing what they are to so many people. Anyone can walk away and not purchase what they're selling. If people are overpaying, it's their own fault, and they'll suffer for it.

By the same token, these people are not overpaid. Their paychecks are a measure of the demand for their product. If they truly do not deserve it, the wealth will destroy them. If they do, then they'll enjoy it. They've earned it.

As for panic messages in the news lately, take them at face value, and they'll be easier to cope with. Panic is the MSM's stock and trade. They're having a field day right now. Don't let it get to you.

exactly, it seems to me that people don't have problems going to see the movies, buying the DVD/Blu Ray/video game , or buying the merchandise. but when there's a dollar sign attached to the actor's name, that's when people start to complain?? i'll admit that it is a little depressing when one person makes that much money for ONE movie, but i won't complain about it while sitting in the theater to see it.

I mean, I hate the fact that my tax dollars are ending up in people's hands that do nothing or are given money simply because they birth a child out of wedlock or without support. This might just make it worse. Nothing is simple. :(

yeah i hate that they take so much money out of my taxes to support people that are taking advantage of the system. (here's my catch 22, i work in the social services, so i deal with this in my day job) i genuinely feel for people that cannot work due to illness or disability, but then i have to hide my emotions when i have to work with someone that has five kids just to get financial assistance.

Unfortunately, our "free market economy" and the laws of supply and demand is what dicatates already rich people like Depp becoming richer. The last Pirate movie made over a billion worldwide, so the studio knows there is the demand out there for a fourth Pirates film, and paying the lead star $50 million is nothing, compared to what the studio will make. It's business.

Do I think it's unfair? Hell yeah, but what really pisses me off is the intervention of the government to 'bail out' businesses who are a part of the "free market" economy. Like AIG, who received that $85 billion bail out loan, to find that immediately after they received it the executives were all going to resorts and spas in California spending hundreds of thousands at the taxpayers expense. That's a crock of ^^^^!

Like AIG, who received that $85 billion bail out loan, to find that immediately after they received it the executives were all going to resorts and spas in California spending hundreds of thousands at the taxpayers expense. That's a crock of ^^^^!

Exactly, that pisses me off a lot more than Depp getting his money.

Back