Blitzway Will Take some Turf from Hot Toys (This is a long one)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to go back and read Jal's entire opening post :)

The spread of my collection of 40 or so figures looks something like this:

Customs
ACI
Blitzway
Enterbay
DiD
Hot Toys
Sideshow
Tamashii/Bandai
Dragon
Iminime
Asmus
TLC
Soldier Story
Medicom
Big Chief Studios

Take away the superhero characters and there're just three HT figures in my whole display: DX04, DX06 and T2 (mms) Arnie.

I bought every one of these figures because, with one or two exceptions, they were the only "high end" representations of those characters. They all sit together nicely. Hot Toys shmot toys. Apart from superheroes they have very little to offer these days.

Didn't mean to come off as nasty, but there is no turf to be taken. Blitzway isn't taken money away from HT. If HT wanted the GB license, for example, they would have it. And, if HT produced them I would buy them. Don't get me wrong I like HT quality (sometimes), but if it isn't a license I care for my money isn't going their way.

To me BW is a bit more interesting than HT is now. They can surprise you with a license. With HT you know what you're getting.

I have both Carlio's way and Scarface with chair both solid , scarface does look a bit zombish but looks great , passing on their Fight Club figures , ill keep waiting and crossing my figures for a Mickey O'Neil from snatch , and ghostbusters only if they end up putting the Ecto-1 on preorder

al.jpg

To a certain extend it's not really a choice for Hot Toys. They have to keep making the new superhero toys to continue their relationship with the big studios.
Keep pumping out figures to keep relevant in the market. I don't get it but people buy these, lack luster toys in my eyes but to many another, awesome Ironmen or Joker ver.?
It's great that we have another company that can give us quality products. It can cover more range. I once thought TV show license are hard to do but there's a company working on the CW superhero shows so that's cool. And Threezero is doing Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.
Enterbay use to be the company I look up upon for non superhero movie figures. But their production have been really slow with most of their energy diverted towards NBA products.

I have both Carlio's way and Scarface with chair both solid , scarface does look a bit zombish but looks great , passing on their Fight Club figures , ill keep waiting and crossing my figures for a Mickey O'Neil from snatch , and ghostbusters only if they end up putting the Ecto-1 on preorder

I've never liked either of EB's Scarface figures. Blitzway's looks a bit cartoonish, but does a much better job of capturing Montana imo. Why oh why they went with the white suit to go in that chair though...

You always hear about filmmakers making a commercial guaranteed box office hit with a studio in order to get the studio to support a personal and less commercial passion project for themselves...it's a shame that Hot Toys can't take that approach...for every tenth Iron Man armor or Leto Joker variant they could release a smaller, lower production run niche figure...

I'm a 1/6 scale collector. I merely get whatever I feel the best quality representation of a character is, regardless of manufacturer. Most of the time, that tends to be HT. Or if I want a certain character that I know HT will most likely never do (Kirk and Spock for instance), I get those figures from the company that does produce them being there's no other option, if I feel the quality of the figure is good.

Well said. I can't wait until you write volume 2....JK..lol

Most people will gloss over a 3 sentence post and even quote it without even realizing it's context, so I'm not suprise that you are making people's eyes bleed by writing what is actually only a 3 minute read.

I'm just happy we finally have a quality alternative to fill the void of smaller overlooked propertues.

Is blitzway still one figure a year company?

One maybe two. I can't believe people think they are going to take some "turf" from HotToys. I'm sure HT isn't worried about 1-2 figures a year from a different company of licenses they weren't interested in anyway.

One maybe two. I can't believe people think they are going to take some "turf" from HotToys. I'm sure HT isn't worried about 1-2 figures a year from a different company of licenses they weren't interested in anyway.

Yes- HT has Disney and DC- they could care less about figures that probablty sell 10% of what they sell...

You always hear about filmmakers making a commercial guaranteed box office hit with a studio in order to get the studio to support a personal and less commercial passion project for themselves...it's a shame that Hot Toys can't take that approach...for every tenth Iron Man armor or Leto Joker variant they could release a smaller, lower production run niche figure...

Great idea! Would love to see this happen, or even just a people's choice type vote

If Hot Toys has shown anything over the years it's how much it values choice

I'm jaded and this must be a new crop of collectors because this idea of HT taking on a niche license has never been talked about. The niche license only happens every 7 years and Depp has to be in it.

HT has become more about whats Hot in the moment. They are going with whats trending, and if it does not sell, they kill it. So many lines started and cancelled because the films did not do the dollars they expected.

So with HT is all about the dollar. Unique does not matter, interesting does not matter.....just the now. And let me be clear , there is nothing wrong with that.....its just apparent its the business model they are goin with.

BLitzway and a few other companies, seem to be going for more a niche market. They also seem to be a little more interested in the art of figure making, rather than the trends in current pop culture, ( or they might have made 2016 GhostBusters.

The good news is, as a collector, you get both options.

While I usually need some time with a film or character to warrant a purchase, many people do not. If its new and cool, they buy it. (My recent exceptions are TFA Kylo and Rey , along with VTS WR)

Most of my collection is from films over 10 years old.

So I do not think BW even rates on HT's radar......they are two different companies right now, and I would say HT is happy to steer away from older films.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I do not think BW even rates on HT's radar......they are two different companies right now, and I would say HT is happy to steer away from older films.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HT is definitely not interested in the licenses which once made them so popular anymore. They are too busy churning out iron man, star wars and marvel figures at a high rate of knots. Just look at the way they are treating the release of the Alien Ripley figure. They couldn't care less about it which is sad because i and many others grew up with these licenses.

I think that they have enough resources to focus on older licenses as well as current ones and still make money but obviously that's not the direction they've decided to take. Its good that other companies such as Blitzway are taking up the mantle where HT left it because the market needs variety.

xipotec, what you wrote is exactly why this "turf" talk is not necessary. I love that HT exist. I love that BW exist. I love that SA exist. Etc. etc. etc.

Back