JND Studios 1/6 scale Heath Ledger Joker figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just glad it wasn't a Gal Gadot Wonder Woman. I'd be out a grand šŸ¤£

This figure looks great though. It'll be interesting to see just how many of these sell. If I ever do get a JND figure, I'll just leave it in a museum pose. I'm not courageous enough to do anything fancy and risk that silicone tearing.

It won't be as long, but it will be fatter.

giphy.gif

c210e636-3976-4dcf-89a8-7dbb0d44ebc2_text.gif

Have we gotten any details on how many cubic meters the box will be?

I just want to see what they have to offer. All due respect, but I couldnā€™t care less about the shmancy technical stuff: silicon, plastic, and everything in between; a Joker is a Joker is a Joker. Is the functionality cool? Absolutely. Do Daniel and Kojun deserve to sit there and smell their silicon farts for that and that alone? Nah. Iā€™m looking at that bendy neck and thinking ā€œnow HIM you could hang upside downā€ and my brain is working overtime and Iā€™m actually getting excited again. ā€œMaybe this time, someone actually does a smiling head.ā€

I keep thinking about itā€¦and I just know itā€™s setting me up for disappointment. I want to be hyped about this weird little arms race going on in the 1/6th world and what it means for collectors, but Iā€™m almost inclined to lean into what DiFabioā€™s been talking about. ā€œYou seen one, you seen ā€˜em all.ā€ Hot Toysā€™ most recent pics of the last Joker I got excited by look like pube-covered **** and this sort of just looks like an overpriced, overcomplicated retreading of the same ground InArt already has covered.

I just donā€™t get it. Everybody keeps talking about ā€œlifelikeā€ figures and you see the videos of silicon skin and translucent glass eyeballs and a FRIGGINā€™ skeleton underneath, but nobody stops to think that human beings arenā€™t always frozen in one stoic, single position. We laugh, we cry; we get mad. Best thing Hot Toys ever did was start giving Batman figures interchangeable mouth plates. It was a small step, but it was kind of ingenious and it genuinely changed the game (how many figures in other scales have we seen utilize that same functionality in the years since?).

JND can still win me over; I know we havenā€™t seen the official product, yet, but Iā€™m not optimistic itā€™s going to be anything other than Daniel and Kojun jerking it to their fancy materials for quadruple digits.
I agree with you, end of the day all the gimmicks wouldnā€™t be worth when joker is covered by his purple coat anyway. Or thatā€™s how I plan to display mine at least. So I couldnā€™t care less about the movable hands for this particular figure. The articulated fingers would only make sense for a two pack, for one prison joker.

The skull is unnecessary for me unless it provides more stability for the silicon inside. I feel like theyā€™re just showing off their anatomy skills, but at the same time itā€™s just more work for them anyway which wonā€™t be seen in the final product.

Iā€™m just happy theyā€™re making something new and is setting a new standard for 1/6. Sad thing is the average price for an amazing figure would be 1k.. and comparing prices to ex: Jazz inc itā€™s pretty damn similar.

A joker is indeed a joker end of the day, I just want a phenomenal headsculpt and if they have one under 1k. I will definitely consider cancelling the HT one. We will see by next week.

I can understand why this may not seem exciting for some as everyone has their own particular limit or meter on what they deem ā€œgood enoughā€ for their shelf and for each character.

At the time of the DX01, there were lots of folks who were just fine with the Bank Robber headsculpt on the MMS body
At the time of the DX11, some were still just fine with the DX01 and/or the BR+MMS combo
And at the time of InArt, some were just fine with the DX11.
This is no different. Some will enjoy the advancements made while others will be happy with what they have and see the advancements as superfluous and needless.
I was happy with my InArt Joker order up until I actually unboxed it :lol so for me, Iā€™m hoping this one hits the mark for what Iā€™ve been looking for in a TDK Joker.

Last edited:
I understand where youā€™re coming from but if patents really didnā€™t mean anything to them then there would be no reason to even go through the trouble of applying for one.

Again, "patent pending" doesn't do anything but establish a date of the invention. That date becomes important only if the patent is granted and the patent holder can prove infringement after that date. Anything before that date would be proof that the patent was incorrectly granted as there was other works that would prove the "invention" as common knowledge to anyone "skilled in the art". That would effectively nullify the patent.

There is also no guarantee that the inventor will actually go through with pursuing the patent. The application that makes it "patent pending" can be filed on the cheap, with very little detail (like a provisional patent) allowing the inventor to use the term "Patent Pending" and all of the PR that goes with it. Responding to the findings of the patent examiner requires at least one attorney and depending on the number and complexity of the claims, may take a protracted amount of time to prove. Obviously, the more time, the more legal fees.

I think a lot of this is just PR and this will either go away in 12 months (expiration of the provisional application), or the application claims get denied.

I guess we'll see.

Again, "patent pending" doesn't do anything but establish a date of the invention. That date becomes important only if the patent is granted and the patent holder can prove infringement after that date. Anything before that date would be proof that the patent was incorrectly granted as there was other works that would prove the "invention" as common knowledge to anyone "skilled in the art". That would effectively nullify the patent.

There is also no guarantee that the inventor will actually go through with pursuing the patent. The application that makes it "patent pending" can be filed on the cheap, with very little detail (like a provisional patent) allowing the inventor to use the term "Patent Pending" and all of the PR that goes with it. Responding to the findings of the patent examiner requires at least one attorney and depending on the number and complexity of the claims, may take a protracted amount of time to prove. Obviously, the more time, the more legal fees.

I think a lot of this is just PR and this will either go away in 12 months (expiration of the provisional application), or the application claims get denied.

I guess we'll see.
And again, I understand the difference between ā€œpatent pendingā€ vs them actually being granted the patent.
However, that wasnā€™t the point of my post. My whole point was if they actually got the patent, then it would actually matter if someone else tried to steal the tech they developed for this. Which is why I also mentioned HT actually getting the patent for their PERS system back in the day.

But like you said, weā€™ll see. It could just be PR, but if Kojun had been working on this for as long as theyā€™re implying, I would imagine he wouldnā€™t want someone else to just scoop up the time he took in RnD to get it to this stage. As mentioned, it was only previously available on his custom Pacino Heat figure that was apparently $7k.

That's a lot of lolly for a fancy Action Man...
My concern is the silicon head and its paint apps. How will it stand up to all that neck manipulation!

Thanks for clarifying @Gipetto0812 (y)

Sorry if I misunderstood your point.

You are absolutely correct that an issued patent should protect his work, at least from the bigger players with deep pockets. As you pointed out, not so much with the bootleggers.

My theory is that Kojun put all this together, albeit with a decent amount of work, JND realized it wasn't patentable, but then filed a provisional patent just to get 12 months of being able to say "patent pending", all in the name of PR. After all, once the orders are placed, and product shipped, no one is really going to care if he got the patent. They were the first to market with it, so the technology will always be synonymous with Kojun/JND, event though Inart and/or HT might be doing it in the near future, as well.

I'd love to see the application.

Nonetheless, it's all cool stuff. Much better than trying to figure out if HT's Fartisan version is marginally better or worse than Inart's last one ;)

in the HT artisan Joker thread, Iā€™d mentioned that the only way for me to pick up another purple suit ledger Joker, it would have to feature substantial, crazy changes. With InArts version in my collection, HT offering did NOTHING for me.

JNDā€™s version thoughā€¦

Iā€™m satisfied with IAā€™sā€¦but JNDā€™s joker features so many innovationsā€¦Iā€™m probably gonna get it just for that alone.

Btw howā€™s Danoby holding up? Between InArtā€™s existence and JNDā€™s jokerā€¦heā€™s probably stretching himself too thin from waging a war on 2 fronts.

I skipped out on the 1/6 IA joker and won't get the HT artisan Joker. Likely won't get the JND Joker as well as I'll likely be priced out for that. But now if they do a WW I would highly consider it šŸ˜

I myself never saw a pic that made me regret cancelling.
Thatā€™s a great feeling to have I imagine. Plus you donā€™t have an enormously oversized box that you have no idea what to do with :LOL:

I'm still holding out hope for the little old Hot Toys - what's the non-Artisan one with the sculpted hair - DX32 or something?
Yup youā€™re correct, DX32 is the latest HT Joker. Iā€™m sure it will come out well enough. I still think the most recent pics of the artisan version is just poorly futzed and will look much better on display.

Back