JND Studios 1/6 scale Heath Ledger Joker figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed on this. I actually get no feeling seeing the same 1000th custom level quality Heath sculpt from this. Looks like every other we've seen throughout the years. But the silicone seamless neck movement, magnetic glass eyes and silicone hands is really cool to see be done at a non-custom level.

What has me wary about this whole thing is what they plan on even pricing these figures at and how their production quality stands. Are we gonna see a bunch of tearing with the neck and fingers? As well as what their overall production quality will be like across the board. Clothing, sculpt softness, paint quality, downgrades, etc etc.

It is quite amazing though that we've gotten both JND and INART to help push this hobby within the last 2 years alone. Wish the licenses were expanded beyond what we're getting but interesting none the less. An Indy done at this level would be insane and an instant buy. Indy is one of those licenses that's huge in the custom scene like Joker but doesn't get nearly the same amount of love from companies.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It's like some Frankenstein ****.

At this point, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just clone Heath Ledger? :lol

Was only 1-2 years ago people were losing their mind at a $1000 2 pack Joker. We're already reaching $2000 statue pricing territory on 1/6 figures and it's not even a custom piece but a mass produced figure. Insane. Who's gonna be the next company with their $3000 triple pack silicone body with real blood?

Last edited:
I only hope InArt doesn't try imitating this silicone technique, Gandalf proved it's not necessary at all, I don't think silicone would make that look better in any way. Since they're trying to expand and keep prices down I guess I probably don't have to worry, but if this thing sells out immediately there's no doubt someone will try to imitate.
They would have to think of their own methods of doing so though seeing as JND seem to have patents (or at least pending patents) on the tech they're using.

I'll admit that for female characters silicone would really help since most of those have the neck gap, so I hope JND will do that eventually.
Yea, would be sort of crazy to have an almost full encapsulated silicone Wonder Woman. I'd imagine the hand swap outs would be covered at the forearm by her armor to maintain the illusion of seamlessness.

The difference though is those larger scales don’t move.

This is their first foray into dolls/action figures with moving components. There is good reason to be skeptical since we’ve never seen something like this perfected in this scale.

People shill the hell out of Hot Toys claiming quality and they use some of the cheapest materials possible. It’s just how it is. Most toy companies dabble in “gotcha” products while proclaiming to push limitations and boundaries with their premium products.
There is slightly more precedent, though. Kojun did a custom Vincent Hannah from Heat a few years back that utilized the same process (right down to the squishy neck and articulated fingers). Frankly, I’d be curious to see how it aged(materials wise)/if they’ll highlight it at all during the inevitable release/announcement video for Joker.

There is slightly more precedent, though. Kojun did a custom Vincent Hannah from Heat a few years back that utilized the same process (right down to the squishy neck and articulated fingers). Frankly, I’d be curious to see how it aged(materials wise)/if they’ll highlight it at all during the inevitable release/announcement video for Joker.
That figure was shown in the initial teaser so apparently it's held up pretty well over the years. Unless he made a whole new one just for those few seconds :lol

That was also a $7000 custom he was selling. :sick The big wary comes from them mass producing this at a much bigger scale. There will no doubt be some sort of downgrade in the process. Whether that leads to the material being more prone to tearing or maybe the sharpness in the detail is lost. Who knows. Definitely something to be caution about with it being the first of it's kind. Best case scenario is of course, they hit it out of the park right away but you don't really see that happening with any company.

They would have to think of their own methods of doing so though seeing as JND seem to have patents (or at least pending patents) on the tech they're using.

Yea, would be sort of crazy to have an almost full encapsulated silicone Wonder Woman. I'd imagine the hand swap outs would be covered at the forearm by her armor to maintain the illusion of seamlessness.
(sorry I deleted my original post lol) I didn't think about the patents issue, that combined with the price might mean JND will be the only one doing this for many years to come. And Wonder Woman made that way would be awesome! I know it'll be tough getting past the price, but it'll be amazing to see some of these female characters finally getting proper proportions and no neck gaps.

And I know not many agree, but I'm still annoyed InArt cancelled Mera, so here's to hoping for a JND version. :lol

Last edited:
Type C as in bankrupt-C? Feels like it.

Anyway, I hope they know how to do a compressed and secured packaging for 2 figures because I'll be laughing if I see a box shaped JND that is as big as the inart Jokor box.

$2000 is a large pill to swallow. For me a silicon head and gloves is enough for me. A single pack purple coat joker $700 would be a perfect option for many. I plan to get one joker and maybe the inart bale all together.

This looks amazing and innovative, but definitely out of my radar bc of the pricing. As an oldie I'm good with my jointed PVC figures. Also I don't trust the silicone, already debating to cancel JND 1/3 Superman after InArt masterpiece.

IP doesn't seem to be taken too seriously in that part of the world, so it's very much the wild west there. You can't get legal relief on a pending patent.

Plus, patent pending just means you've applied for a patent. There's still an examination that needs to be performed and all of the back and forth that goes with the claims disputes. That can take years and whittle away at the claims, which also dilutes what you're protecting. At the end of the day, the only way the patent is actionable is if it is actually granted, and someone actually infringes on a granted claim.

It also depends upon which country the application was filed in. I don't know if it's still the case, but several years ago pending US patent applications were available to the public, so anyone could see them. Back then, it was also advised that US inventors also file for protection in that part of the world as a small measure of possible enforcement. No guarantees.

$2000 is a large pill to swallow. For me a silicon head and gloves is enough for me. A single pack purple coat joker $700 would be a perfect option for many. I plan to get one joker and maybe the inart bale all together.
I just want to see what they have to offer. All due respect, but I couldn’t care less about the shmancy technical stuff: silicon, plastic, and everything in between; a Joker is a Joker is a Joker. Is the functionality cool? Absolutely. Do Daniel and Kojun deserve to sit there and smell their silicon farts for that and that alone? Nah. I’m looking at that bendy neck and thinking “now HIM you could hang upside down” and my brain is working overtime and I’m actually getting excited again. “Maybe this time, someone actually does a smiling head.”

I keep thinking about it…and I just know it’s setting me up for disappointment. I want to be hyped about this weird little arms race going on in the 1/6th world and what it means for collectors, but I’m almost inclined to lean into what DiFabio’s been talking about. “You seen one, you seen ‘em all.” Hot Toys’ most recent pics of the last Joker I got excited by look like pube-covered **** and this sort of just looks like an overpriced, overcomplicated retreading of the same ground InArt already has covered.

I just don’t get it. Everybody keeps talking about “lifelike” figures and you see the videos of silicon skin and translucent glass eyeballs and a FRIGGIN’ skeleton underneath, but nobody stops to think that human beings aren’t always frozen in one stoic, single position. We laugh, we cry; we get mad. Best thing Hot Toys ever did was start giving Batman figures interchangeable mouth plates. It was a small step, but it was kind of ingenious and it genuinely changed the game (how many figures in other scales have we seen utilize that same functionality in the years since?).

JND can still win me over; I know we haven’t seen the official product, yet, but I’m not optimistic it’s going to be anything other than Daniel and Kojun jerking it to their fancy materials for quadruple digits.

IP doesn't seem to be taken too seriously in that part of the world, so it's very much the wild west there. You can't get legal relief on a pending patent.

Plus, patent pending just means you've applied for a patent. There's still an examination that needs to be performed and all of the back and forth that goes with the claims disputes. That can take years and whittle away at the claims, which also dilutes what you're protecting. At the end of the day, the only way the patent is actionable is if it is actually granted, and someone actually infringes on a granted claim.

It also depends upon which country the application was filed in. I don't know if it's still the case, but several years ago pending US patent applications were available to the public, so anyone could see them. Back then, it was also advised that US inventors also file for protection in that part of the world as a small measure of possible enforcement. No guarantees.
I understand where you’re coming from but if patents really didn’t mean anything to them then there would be no reason to even go through the trouble of applying for one.

Of course patents don’t matter to 3rd party and KO companies b/c they aren’t even paying for licenses. But, I’m not talking about the likes of Present Toys, ToysEra SooSoo etc who don’t care about IP. I’m talking about official businesses like JND, HT and InArt, patents probably do matter. Meaning that if HT or InArt try to steal their tech, JND would have legitimate claim to persue legal action against them. JND is not afraid to take legal action either as they already did towards a factory who was making KO’s of their statues just a couple months ago.

Not to mention, HT got a patent for the PERS system back in the day when DX01 was released and as far as I can remember no other legitimate company had touched that system this who time until InArt recently, which probably means the original patent HT got expired as it’s the same exact system. Enterbay ironically was doing the SERS system for a couple of their Bruce Lee figures that HT is similarly using now.

Back