JND Studios 1/6 scale Heath Ledger Joker figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. A Joker start makes this all feel very uneventful after the Inart/Hot Toys double announcement this past year. Another character would have made JND stand out much more.
Exactly this.

InArt entering the 1/6 realm felt monumental; it was like a whole new era of collecting was beginning.
Their choice to kick off with TDK Joker made it all the more special as we hadn’t seen a new version for quite awhile and, as he is clearly the most in demand character for custom artists to make, it helped make the rest of us feel we could get a slice of that custom quality for a fraction of the price, which will have convinced many who wouldn’t have considered spending that amount on a collectible before to hop aboard the InArt express.
Hand applied, pre-styled hair was also essentially a new step for mass produced figures, along with the seamless arms and magnets; all of which screamed ‘high quality.’

Then HT decided they need to do exactly the same thing just to show they can- except they borrowed a pre existing custom sculpt and stuck a tongue in its mouth.
That already felt far less special than it otherwise would have pre InArt and essentially only served as proof that HT have been coasting and actively avoiding giving us their best effort for years.

Now we have JND, the silicone people, making the leap to 1/6 and choosing to tread the exact same ground we‘ve spent the past two years covering.
If their intent is to show that they can do a better Joker than anyone else, that could potentially pay off for them- if they succeed- but this just doesn’t ‘feel’ special or like an event because, quite frankly, I’ve seen enough of TDK Joker for now.

And if you shrank it down to 1/6 scale it still wouldn’t be able to compete with either InArt or Hot Toys’ latest attempt. I’d be more curious to see how their tailoring turns out.

I do wonder what licences they have access to, since InArt are bound to WB.

Are JND in the same situation?
Most likely, yes. Especially when you take into account how difficult Disney made it for JND to even get their 1/3 Indy out. They only allowed them The Last Crusade and regionally locked it to HK and South Korea. Maybe we’ll get stuff from other studios outside of the ones Disney owns, like how JND have made an Old Boy statue as well as a character from One Piece and supposedly Cavill’s Geralt from S3 is coming, but I wouldn’t be surprised if WB offerings are the first few outings for 1/6.

Last edited:
Companies with officially licensed brands really lack creativity. There's an endless amount of original and not produced characters or ones needing a completely fresh introduction into the community.

You can do a rehash and follow it up with an obscure character, finish lines, complete sets, more civilian apparel.

Not much of a DC fan. Don't own a single Joker. I don't even own a Batman anything. This will at least save me some money for a while.

I know people love Ledger Joker, but I really wonder at what point these companies are going to realise that a 5% better Joker isn't going to get people to move off the one they already have and love. Hot Toys, I get why they released theirs. Competitively, they had to match InArt's release. But JND have the ability to make waves with just about any announcement due to how early InArt are in their release schedule, and the fact that a lot of the DC pieces people want are older releases from Hot Toys. They could totally own the market on a BVS Batfleck for instance. Instead, I think they're going to find it difficult to sell a piece that will likely be much more expensive than even InArt's offerring. And how much higher quality can you go than that release?

The hobby feels like it's eating itself right now. The hardcore collectors don't need four Ledger Jokers.

Last edited:
1868FFF3-DEC4-4047-A622-3A4379F69824.jpeg

7BF6F6A1-AAE9-401D-9FA2-E1FF91A703D5.jpeg

Back