J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do. Not. Bring. Anything. Clone Wars. into. this. Trek.

(It single handedly make SW a joke in the last year...and punctuation is fun.)

Let's just focus on films for now if Animation is the only other option. I don't think US Directors or companies are anywhere near the Asian companies in terms of handling animation like live action. If done right animation can be more powerful than live action because the emotion is perfect everytime. US Companies aren't at that point yet.

Angels and Demons brings in $48 Million, Star Trek brings in $43 million. Looks like this Trek has legs.

Do. Not. Bring. Anything. Clone Wars. into. this. Trek.

(It single handedly make SW a joke in the last year...and punctuation is fun.)

Let's just focus on films for now if Animation is the only other option. I don't think US Directors or companies are anywhere near the Asian companies in terms of handling animation like live action. If done right animation can be more powerful than live action because the emotion is perfect everytime. US Companies aren't at that point yet.

I agree. Animation and Trek never really worked for me anyway. I say they should just move forward with all new stories and not try to revisit anything, just give us cool stories. If they want to throw little nuggets from TOS that's cool, but nothing major.

But really, anything is cool by me. I just want more. :lol

Sat in a Barnes and Nobles for an hour today and read all of STAR TREK: COUNTDOWN (considered buying it but had the time to spare.) Great read that really made some of the movie's points MUCH clearer, hell it would even have been a pretty cool movie/TV special itself. I plan on seeing the film again with the comic in mind.

With time travel involved I wonder if there is any way TNG cast could get involved with a potential sequel?

Not the one we've seen in the past. With Nero and Spock Prime's interference it changed a lot of things that occurred in the Prime Star Trek Universe. Picard, Riker, La Forge, Troi all still exist (in theory) but their paths wouldn't have followed the same paths as before. Data might be more machine than human, Worf may never have joined the Academy, La Forge might not be blind. (I had to look all that up :lol)

Time Travel interventions have always been best explained by the idea of throwing a rock into a still pool of water, that there is an immediate effect and ripples heading out to the edges of the substance. So TNG, Voyager, Deep Space Nine would have all felt the effects of this change some more than others, those further out more effected then those closer because changes would continue to occur on top of changes. If a member of TNG were to time travel they'd be a "Universe B" version not the "Prime" version because only Nero, his crew and Spock Prime were outside of the Time spectrum. One thing though that would be solid without fail would be the tales of "Enterprise" with Archer.

Not the one we've seen in the past. With Nero and Spock Prime's interference it changed a lot of things that occurred in the Prime Star Trek Universe. Picard, Riker, La Forge, Troi all still exist (in theory) but their paths wouldn't have followed the same paths as before. Data might be more machine than human, Worf may never have joined the Academy, La Forge might not be blind. (I had to look all that up :lol)

Time Travel interventions have always been best explained by the idea of throwing a rock into a still pool of water, that there is an immediate effect and ripples heading out to the edges of the substance. So TNG, Voyager, Deep Space Nine would have all felt the effects of this change some more than others, those further out more effected then those closer because changes would continue to occur on top of changes. If a member of TNG were to time travel they'd be a "Universe B" version not the "Prime" version because only Nero, his crew and Spock Prime were outside of the Time spectrum. One thing though that would be solid without fail would be the tales of "Enterprise" with Archer.

Are people really getting that geeked out with the whole time travel/alternate timeline deal? Most of the ^^^^ in Star Trek is exaggerated fantasy anyway, so creative writers could more or less go in any direction they want; that's the beauty of science fiction.

Who's to say Picard and friends couldn't have followed into the black hole the same way Spock and Nero did? And how would destroying Vulcan and having Kirk and Spock meet future Spock, drastically alter the far off TNG future anyway? Some details might be altered but I couldn't see how it would be that different. Mind you, I'm not a huge ST fan/expert, so I'm sure the Trekkies would know more than me.

Well, it's not so much what happens in the immediacy. What he means by the ripple effect is that the major event (i.e. the Narada attack) changes several things immediately and other changes ripple from there. It means that more and more will happen differently, causing more significant changes as they pile on top of one another.

You almost have to think of it in real life terms. Like, if I hadn't joined the Navy. It's a simple choice that is changed, how much could that effect something? Well, perhaps I would not have been there to support or have an impact of others lives. Maybe I would have gone crazy and killed a bunch of people, maybe I would never have gotten married and wouldn't father any children. The possibilities are endless, and any effect I had on anyone else would change as well. Just me, a single person... could alter our future in a major way. Me alone.

Something like Nero killing a bunch of people on the Kelvin, and wiping out Vulcan, not to mention the few he killed on the Enterprise.. could have major effects on the future. Those people would not have children, or would not make contributions to science or world events. And so on. Riker could have been a relative of someone stationed on the Kelvin, and with that person's death...now no longer exists. Once you change so many lives in an instant in time, the future is changed forever. The ripples continue on and grow over the years, the changes multiplying into infinite possibilities.

Funny Story: A good friend of mine went to go see Star Trek this weekend. He is not a fan of Star Trek. Not a fan in the sense that he doesn't follow it. He has also admitted that the main reason why he isn't a fan is that he associates Star Trek with nerds. It's pretty pathetic actually. Anyway, he saw it this weekend and loved it. He couldn't believe how awesome it was. We were talking about it, and he said "I can't believe how many references i got!! It was awesome! And as soon as I got home, Star Trek the original series happened to be on so I watched it and in that episode Bones actually said Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor, not a ...!! What are the chances that he says that in the ONE episode I happened to watch!"

I seriously wanted to say What a Moron, but couldn't. :lol :lol

I also told him that the only scene that was unecessary to me was when Pike lands on the ice planet and gets attacked by those two creatures. It was completely pointless, and did nothing for the story. In his words "well, i think they put that in there because in the original show they used to always go down to the planets and would encounter aliens, like a tar creature, or a ball of energy - so that's probably why they put that in there"

If I could strangle someone over the phone.... but I couldn't get too angry because he enjoyed the movie, and having another person get interested in Star Trek is alright in my books.

In the Trek universe, when there is a change in time, it creates an alternate reality that runs alongside the existing one. The original crew and TNG crew have had interaction with there alternate realites in quite a few episodes.
So technically the classic timeline could meet up with Abrams timeline.
Personally I hope not, they did the homage to classic Trek with this movie. Now it's time for some new adventurers

Well, it's not so much what happens in the immediacy. What he means by the ripple effect is that the major event (i.e. the Narada attack) changes several things immediately and other changes ripple from there. It means that more and more will happen differently, causing more significant changes as they pile on top of one another.

You almost have to think of it in real life terms. Like, if I hadn't joined the Navy. It's a simple choice that is changed, how much could that effect something? Well, perhaps I would not have been there to support or have an impact of others lives. Maybe I would have gone crazy and killed a bunch of people, maybe I would never have gotten married and wouldn't father any children. The possibilities are endless, and any effect I had on anyone else would change as well. Just me, a single person... could alter our future in a major way. Me alone.

Something like Nero killing a bunch of people on the Kelvin, and wiping out Vulcan, not to mention the few he killed on the Enterprise.. could have major effects on the future. Those people would not have children, or would not make contributions to science or world events. And so on. Riker could have been a relative of someone stationed on the Kelvin, and with that person's death...now no longer exists. Once you change so many lives in an instant in time, the future is changed forever. The ripples continue on and grow over the years, the changes multiplying into infinite possibilities.

busey_clapping.gif

Exactly.

u guys want a REAL mindf@#%? imagine the enterprise crew going thru a wormhole or some space-time anomaly... and ending up in the star wars universe. but it's not just the star wars universe, it's also populated by predators, aliens and terminators, all killing the crap outta each other.

at which point bones yells: "dammit jim, i'm a doctor, not a multi-franchise whore!!"

heh heh, totally random geek moment. sorry. as u were, gentlemen. :D

Though I understand what you guys are saying about the "ripple effect" of the time travel, etc., recall that somehow, all the original Star Trek crew ended up together on the Enterprise, despite all the crap that happened. Kirk became Captain sooner than he should have, and Scotty should not have met up with those guys in the way that he did (recall that Spock "Prime" said it was "interesting" or "fascinating" that they happened to run across him the way they did, implying as much).

That tells me that there are aspects of "fate" to this new series that certain things will happen irrespective of the "ripple effects" of Nero, etc. Extrapolating from that, if the original crew were destined to serve together, maybe the TNG crew were, as well.

Also, as Mirakle said, writers could come along and disregard the effect of the time travel as much as they wanted, or they could make "minor" changes--Picard is half-Romulan, data is a woman, etc.--and keep the core of those characters around, if they wanted to.

Could you imagine if, and I know this is a stretch but, a character named Jean-Luc Picard was born in France, of French ancestry... sounded French or reflected the culture? As it was, Picard was far more British than ever French.

Could you imagine if, and I know this is a stretch but, a character named Jean-Luc Picard was born in France, of French ancestry... sounded French or reflected the culture? As it was, Picard was far more British than ever French.

Now the speculation is just getting crazy :rotfl

Do you have any idea how damaging such a move would be to the British tea industry? Sales of Earl Grey would plummet....

Though I understand what you guys are saying about the "ripple effect" of the time travel, etc., recall that somehow, all the original Star Trek crew ended up together on the Enterprise, despite all the crap that happened. Kirk became Captain sooner than he should have, and Scotty should not have met up with those guys in the way that he did (recall that Spock "Prime" said it was "interesting" or "fascinating" that they happened to run across him the way they did, implying as much).

What Spock Prime referred to as interesting was that Scotty was marooned out there because he hadn't crack the equation yet. He was also surprised that Kirk wasn't captain of the Enterprise both showing the ripple effect because Nero's intervention was 25 years prior. Both of those things did not occur in the Prime Universe. The original crew ended up together due to Spock Prime's intervention of giving Scotty the equation and beaming them to the Enterprise and talking Spock into staying and not going with the other Vulcans to repopulate their race. The funniest thing was the Uhura and Sulu's appointment to the Enterprise was dumb luck. The original pilot was out sick and Uhura could speak all three dialects of Romulan which the bride communications expert could not. One could argue its Fate stepping in but Spock Prime definitely had a hand in trying to "correct" Space and Time as much as he could.

That tells me that there are aspects of "fate" to this new series that certain things will happen irrespective of the "ripple effects" of Nero, etc. Extrapolating from that, if the original crew were destined to serve together, maybe the TNG crew were, as well.

Again it might take an outside force. Something like Spock Prime looking up Picard and seeing that he was on a different path told him that he would be a great Star Captain one day or something like that. Fate brought a few of them together but not all. Without Spock Prime's interference Scotty would still be in that outpost trying to figure out the equation, Kirk would have been there to join him or would have waited in the cave for Spock to come back and get him hopefully and past that Spock would have left Earth to found New Vulcan. An outside force was just as powerful an effect as "fate".

Also, as Mirakle said, writers could come along and disregard the effect of the time travel as much as they wanted, or they could make "minor" changes--Picard is half-Romulan, data is a woman, etc.--and keep the core of those characters around, if they wanted to.

I think it'd be difficult to completely unravel the timeline angle just because they wanted TNG to be exactly the same and make it pausable that it effected TOS crew and no one else. The Minor changes is probably more likely but after having this could you imagine Trekkie response if Data was a woman, Picard had a full head of black hair he kept in a ponytail and spoke like a Spanard and his name was actually Juan Lucas Picard? If Riker never boarded that ship and was Captain of his own ship never being Number 2? What if Worf was Picard's arch enemy trying to take down Starfleet while still hunting what he considered Klingon traitors who left the empire? Their heads would explode.

I think its best for all involved old fans, new fans and the studios to play in this universe with this cast for a while before tackling another beloved sect of Star Trek lore like TNG or even Voyager for that matter.

Back