Is the anticipation of an item just as good as the item?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowinghorse

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is a tricky question for me and I wondered what others thought since, often I find myself actually more excited about the item in the months building up to its release and my eventual acquisition of it than when I actually get it and it joins my collection.

Some have called it the "thrill of the hunt," though I don't much hunt for things anymore since I order most of my stuff online and, if it's something I really want, I'll probably pay what I need to pay to get it.

Then, once I own the piece, it sits in storage, on display, or on my shelf for a few months until - finally - I'm either bored of it or something different comes along. It's not that I have buyer's remorse, though I do often resell things I've purchased for less than what I purchased them for, but I simply love the feeling of anticipation a new buy brings before I actually have the item in-hand.

Anyone else ever get this way?

Rarely is the item as good as the anticipation. The anticipation and "hunt" (even if "hunt" is looking for a rare item to appear on eBay) is primarily what drives collectors IMO.

I would say the anticipation is more exciting than getting the piece. Once the reality has set in that you just spent 250-1,000 on a single item, you realize what the heck you were thinking. Then do it again. And wonder why you're broke. ;)

Anticipation and hope for things that we have to strive for somehow--no matter how insignificant--are some of the things that keep people going. There are underpinnings in basic human survival, where it keeps people from getting lazy and resting on their laurels. This is why old folks often kick the bucket after birthdays and other events they had previously been anticipating, IMO.

Collecting dollies is very important.

Collecting is alot like that scene in THX where he goes out shopping, buys some glowing orb he doesn't need, gets home and promptly throws it in the trash.

Collecting is alot like that scene in THX where he goes out shopping, buys some glowing orb he doesn't need, gets home and promptly throws it in the trash.

Nice. That pretty much goes for a lot of us. We buy on impulse. We don't need these statues and figures. We can easily enjoy viewing others pics... besides you can't take any of this to the grave with you. I am starting to focus more on trips. Life experiences go much further than toys.

The anticipation is always better, that's why most people sell off their stuff when they stop collecting.

I enjoy both aspects equally. I don't have a lot of spare cash, so I don't PO on impulse and I have to be very selective about my purchases. Once I get a new figure it goes into my office at work and I get a kick out of looking at it every day I'm there. If I had to stop collecting tomorrow I reckon I'd keep my figures on display rather than sell them.

Only times I've ever sold anything were the times I needed money. Something I didn't own was more important than something I did.

Anticipation and hope for things that we have to strive for somehow--no matter how insignificant--are some of the things that keep people going. There are underpinnings in basic human survival...

Goal-directed behavior? Yes, it's what distinguishes living things from those that aren't. Survival is a goal-directed (teleological) process.

But the purpose of the action is the goal. The action is not the purpose of the goal. If someone seeks something that makes them happy, it isn't the pursuit that gives them the fuel to keep living. It's the happiness they achieve by acquiring the object of pursuit. If people are only in it for the journey, then the destination is meaningless.

I think I'm going to start a collectibles company that never ships anything, and takes a non-refundable payment up front. If this is why people collect, then my customers will be the most satisfied customers in history.

What if my anticipation is faulty or damaged? Will your company offer a full refund, exchange or store credit on future purchases of anticipation?

We will gladly replace any product that does not meet the buyer's expectations. :dance

And for those customers who find it difficult to anticipate fully, we have a deal in the works with a major pharmaceutical manufacturer to offer a whole range of anticipation supplements, designed to meet the needs of any and all manner of anticipation dysfunction (premature anticipation, low anticipation count, flaccid anticipation, as well as inadequate natural anticipation endowment).

I've never experienced any problems with my anticipation. I'm more concerned about after-market prices on anticipation I've missed out on. Anticipation for ACI's Roman General has gone through the roof and sadly I can no longer afford it. I still have the actual figure, which is nice, but it's not quite the same.

Then I have good news for you. The next phase of my company's development will be selling you the anticipation you can no longer experience, at a premium based on current rates of anticipation. You'll have the opportunity to give back what you can no longer anticipate, in exchange for time greater than or equal to what those who have waited the longest to get what you already have. We don't think you should be punished for your impatience, as it is people like you who have driven those premiums up to the levels most profitable to us. We even have a special program for people who regret not waiting longer the most, where we will keep your stuff indefinitely. That's right. You don't have to ever buy it back if you don't want to. Never again worry about how high the prices get. You'll have more anticipation than you could possibly dream.

Do I have your attention, or what? :naughty

This is a tricky question for me and I wondered what others thought since, often I find myself actually more excited about the item in the months building up to its release and my eventual acquisition of it than when I actually get it and it joins my collection.

Some have called it the "thrill of the hunt," though I don't much hunt for things anymore since I order most of my stuff online and, if it's something I really want, I'll probably pay what I need to pay to get it.

Then, once I own the piece, it sits in storage, on display, or on my shelf for a few months until - finally - I'm either bored of it or something different comes along. It's not that I have buyer's remorse, though I do often resell things I've purchased for less than what I purchased them for, but I simply love the feeling of anticipation a new buy brings before I actually have the item in-hand.

Anyone else ever get this way?

i never expect, that way i'm never disappointed.

Do I have your attention, or what? :naughty

If there's one thing I like nearly as much as anticipation, it's exclusivity. I'd be interested in a VIP program where I could anticipate some figures more than others. I also have a few bashes that took a while to put together, staggering the anticipation on those would be fantastic.

Back