Is it just me, or has the Peak of collecting ended?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My collecting has slowed down a lot, too. Like a lot of you guys, my main reason is price. But the lines I've collected over the years have also slowed their output considerably.

Also, I've TOTALLY run out of display space. Lack of display space is a very close second to rising prices for me.

And because we live in an incredibly small house, we rent a storage unit. With about half of the unit crammed with my empty boxes, even when I'm not adding to my collection, I'm still paying for the collection. :gah:

Idk,...it seems that when the ball started rolling it was to lure in us 30 somethings 80s kids who now had some dough to blow.

Now that the ball is rolling strong it seems that for business purposes the paradigm of the business model has shifted to become mainstream and more youth friendly as opposed to collector friendly.

Where are things like Sid and Nancy and Marlon Brando now?
Why wasnt another version of Godfather Brando put out?

But, right,...30 iron mans

No, I think there's still more 1980's properties to exploit to 30&up year olds now with jobs to pay for the toys they never had as kids. Namely myself.

If they chugged out more of these lines, I'd be all over them.
Back to the Future
silverhawks
MASK
Ghostbusters
Rocketeer
bravestarr
captain power
centurions
roboforce

i don't necessarily agree with all your choices, but your idea is stellar. producing high end 12 inch figures based on yesteryear characters we came to know and love. the generation that has the bucks to spend.

just for an example, with laser sculpting, figures like 'the munsters' would be a challenge but definitely doable for hot toys. i know i would buy every character. and how about the beverly hillbillies or gilligan's island? can you imagine a maryann and ginger or skipper and gilligan? i think people would buy the living hell out of these kind of figures and the licensing would most likely be a pittance compared to what they pay out for the marvel license. JG...call my attorney...call the factory....let's get this thing going!!! :lol a new division of hot toys...classic characters?

I agree. The prices are starting to rise above my interest. Higher prices for figures I dont care about.

My collecting has slowed down a lot, too. Like a lot of you guys, my main reason is price. But the lines I've collected over the years have also slowed their output considerably.

Also, I've TOTALLY run out of display space. Lack of display space is a very close second to rising prices for me.

And because we live in an incredibly small house, we rent a storage unit. With about half of the unit crammed with my empty boxes, even when I'm not adding to my collection, I'm still paying for the collection. :gah:

i'm a rotating collector. i've found there's very little i'd have a problem parting with. it keeps my interests peaked.

Understanding these things are cyclical, it seems there was a mad rush of iconic, vintage 80's characters released from 2009 thru 2012.

The releases coming out now are mostly newer movies and comic book related.

Did the "best era" for iconic 80's characters in 1/6 just pass by??

Lots of folks aren't really addressing facemaker's initial post. Lots of talk about people's personal collecting habits but not much talk about the trend away from vintage 80s characters.

HT have signalled that BTTF, '66 Batman and Robocop are going to be released, though I'm not sure if Rocky was signalled to the same extent? I don't think we've seen a peak in 80s characters, so much as a temporary change of focus to capitalise on the popularity of Iron Man.

We'll get some cool old-school characters back in the mix once HT have seen out Iron Man 7 and The Avengers 5.

My spending has slowed immensely, and not too many new figures are entering the collection, but honestly; the reason for that is price. There's loads of cool **** coming out on a regular basis, but the prices are NUTS. NUTS!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *burns his house down*

I used to want everything too when I started however I learned that it was too much... I now only collect by basis of figures of characters I love with extreme rarity like the Hot Toys Ezio which originally sold for $150, that's to Mike I was able to get it off his hands for double. However seeing as of today when I look at Ebay and a used goes for bid at $600-1000 ($1000 not joke click link). You can see why I chose my figures carefully and wisely.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Assassins-...304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c31aaa160

Ntm I enjoy creating my own figures even though there's a big price tag, but honestly at least I know they are one of a kind.

:lol Is anyone actually reading this thread, or just taking an opportunity to comment once again on how expensive the hobby is becoming?

I used to buy a **** ton, now all I have on order is the BD T-800 and the '89 Batmobile. I have that Catwoman on preorder too, but I'll be selling her *** the day I get it. I bought it for the Batman cowl exclusive only.

Things are just too expensive now and it feels like I'm at the point where I have everything I could ever want. My wishlists have been checked off, I mean I got my "grails" like T2 Terminator, 1984 Tech Noir, Keaton Batman, Nicholson Joker and Reeve Superman. What else is there? Batman, Terminator, Robocop, Lord of the Rings, Spider-Man, Star Wars, etc. I have them in some capacity and god knows I got too much junk.

I'll continue to buy 80s and 90s classics from my childhood here and there, but **** this modern crap. After this Nolan Batman ****, I've decided to call it quits. I can't get into the hype anymore. Now if I buy anything it's strictly what the kid in me would want (even know that spoiled little ****ing brat has everything he could want).

The peak, for me, was a couple years ago. I bought frivolously, especially extras and duplicates. Now? I'm a picky SOB. This **** is too expensive (don't feel good with $200 and $300 dolls), I have too much, and I don't really appreciate what I have. It's always "what's next" not, "man, I got some pretty cool stuff".

I used to want everything too when I started however I learned that it was too much... I now only collect by basis of figures of characters I love with extreme rarity like the Hot Toys Ezio which originally sold for $150, that's to Mike I was able to get it off his hands for double. However seeing as of today when I look at Ebay and a used goes for bid at $600-1000 ($1000 not joke click link). You can see why I chose my figures carefully and wisely.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Assassins-...304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c31aaa160

Ntm I enjoy creating my own figures even though there's a big price tag, but honestly at least I know they are one of a kind.

You do know its only worth $250 right?

I think you're right about licensed 80's era figures beginning to be phased out. Motuc is at the end of its run, bttf is on the back burner and rocky is dead in the water. Batman returns is early 90s and it seems to be I development hell.

Current licenses is the new focus,I can already see a move towards 90's nostalgia right around the corner given the interest in power rangers on the boards. I think our time (80's love) is coming to an end soon. I think that's why there's a scramble on the custom boards to fill out our nostalgia based collections.

I think there should be plenty to come (based on licensing issues being sorted).

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? An insta-buy for me. No brainer. Given the enthusiasm for customs of it, I reckon it'd sell.

Robocop Mk 2.0, ED-209 and Robocain. In like Flynn! It's a much loved film among the sci-fi community.

Deckard. BR is one of the 5 top SF movies ever made, can't see there not being a goodly market for this.

Scarface. HT hasn't made one of these yet (though we have others, which are excellent).

Star Trek. A classic Kirk, Spock and Bones would sell like hotcakes. Trekkies love their memorabilia.

Barbossa? I'd love one, and I know many others would.

V for Vendetta? Rocky? Rambo? Hannibal Lecter? The other main players from the Godather? There's so many untapped characters from so many great movies.

Stepping away from movies, an Ayrton Senna figure would sell well. One of the most revered F1 drivers of all time, and the Japanese love this guy. I mean, really, really love him.

I don't think there's a shortage of subjects at all.

I am confused....Is the thread about the peak of collecting ended as the title suggest or 80's licensed figures as mentioned in the first post :dunno

I assume the peak of collecting for 1/6 ending? I'd agree it has leveled off as companies are looking for the "next big thing" i.e. 1/4 scale, PERS, Die Cast etc. I wish they'd focus on making a more quality 1/6 product than the next big hit. 1/6 scale has a ways to go in terms of bodies (durable / posable jointless, alternate to barbie / action figure hair etc.). It would be nice to find a way to accomplish this and level of pricing as well. The continued rising prices will shrink their customer base.

In regards to 80's movies, I'm fine with them moving on. While I love the 80's other decades offer great characters as well so a good balance would be nice

I think there should be plenty to come (based on licensing issues being sorted).

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? An insta-buy for me. No brainer. Given the enthusiasm for customs of it, I reckon it'd sell.

Robocop Mk 2.0, ED-209 and Robocain. In like Flynn! It's a much loved film among the sci-fi community.

Deckard. BR is one of the 5 top SF movies ever made, can't see there not being a goodly market for this.

Scarface. HT hasn't made one of these yet (though we have others, which are excellent).

Star Trek. A classic Kirk, Spock and Bones would sell like hotcakes. Trekkies love their memorabilia.

Barbossa? I'd love one, and I know many others would.

V for Vendetta? Rocky? Rambo? Hannibal Lecter? The other main players from the Godather? There's so many untapped characters from so many great movies.

Stepping away from movies, an Ayrton Senna figure would sell well. One of the most revered F1 drivers of all time, and the Japanese love this guy. I mean, really, really love him.

Sounds like we need another high end 1/6 company other than Hot Toys and Enterbay, because there is a lot of untapped material out there.

Currently, neither company seems able to keep up! You know, what with Iron Man apparently being all the rage...

Damn, you hit many good points in your post.

F1 is huge in Japan and Asia. So is motogp. If they made a Schumacher or Valentino Rossi this would sell like hotcakes.

Star Trek would be a major win for licensing. Imagine a detailed Kirk or Picard down the line with accessories to boot. Makes sense since Wars product is already out there.

Aliens?
Blade Runner?
Conan?

There's too many potential properties to list.

Damn, you hit many good points in your post.

F1 is huge in Japan and Asia. So is motogp. If they made a Schumacher or Valentino Rossi this would sell like hotcakes.

Star Trek would be a major win for licensing. Imagine a detailed Kirk or Picard down the line with accessories to boot. Makes sense since Wars product is already out there.

Aliens?
Blade Runner?
Conan?

There's too many potential properties to list.

I have to admit, even though I've stepped away from the Hot Toys/high end 1/6 stuff lately, I would probably have to purchase a Hot Toys Arnold Conan and/or Jean-Luc Picard... and Worf. And Riker and Data. :)

Does that make me a Trekkie???

i imagine hot toys and enterbay have so much money tied up in licensing costs, that they aren't even considering branching out. great point made earlier, this is an ideal time for a new company to step up and do those licenses being ignored. star trek fans have gotten a new franchise, which gets them in the buying mood for all of the previous star trek characters. i have several playmates figures (9") and some are done pretty well. but they didn't have laser sculpting back then (90s) so i can imagine what can be done today.

trek10.jpg

trek01.jpg

I agree the prices have gone ridiculous. I'm gonna hold out a bit longer til they give me Rocky, Rambo, Han, Robo and T1 T-800.

I have to admit, even though I've stepped away from the Hot Toys/high end 1/6 stuff lately, I would probably have to purchase a Hot Toys Arnold Conan and/or Jean-Luc Picard... and Worf. And Riker and Data. :)

Does that make me a Trekkie???

Data would be my absolute #1 choice. Comes with removable panels, emotion chip, plug for head, removable head, Spot, tricorder, phaser, rifle, etc. And with realistic android skin texture.

1/6 scale shuttlecraft anyone? Hey if the batmobile can be made, why not?

Back