Is Gandalf the Grey a lock for the next 12" figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the idea of the Diorama line for LOTR figures. As much as the Sideshow stands rock, I kinda always wished that for a few dollars more you could buy a section of a diorama with each figure, and piece it together, kinda like NECA and their POTC line. The Freddy furnace is really cool, and I would love to get the door to moria, a section of Helm's Deep, part of Rivendell, Bilbo's front door, and too many other locations to name! Oh, and Buffy could use a library and a graveyard!

SolidLiquidFox said:
The Strider release may not be the fellowship version we are all assuming it is...

Aragorn basically only wears one outfit while in the Fellowship, his Ranger garb. After Gandalf falls the Fellowship breaks, certainly after Boromir dies. I could see maybe calling a council or Amon Hen garb Aragorn a Fellowship version, but I doubt SS will make either. I guess SS could sell the cloak in an accessory set or include it with an Aragorn that shouldn't come with it such as Elessar, but since Legolas's weaponry doesn't jive with his cloak you could give it to Strider and SS may release a Helm's Deep Leggy w/ the Lothorien bow/quiver and another cloak.

I really don't know how they're gonna do Gimli justice without making a special body for him - dwarves are not hobbit sized. Maybe they could fudge it with tall boots, longer arms/legs, bulkier armor and an oversized head?

As for the golden hairs, there was a reason PJ never showed it on film as they discuss in the commentary. It's one of those things that sounds good but looks kinda silly. Should be easy enough for anyone to add though via Barbie or an unsuspecting blonde girl. :D

Last edited:
Well, they could very well do Helm's Deep versions of Aragorn AND Legolas. Aragorn wore chainmail, Boromir's vambraces, had the knife from Lothlorien and the cloak. I'd say that is plenty enough for another Aragorn in my book. Just give him another head sculpt, maybe a battle fury face... Perfect. Everyone happy.

There are a lot of characters I'd like to see in this line. I hope and pray they don't start doing "Aragorn in..." repeats for quite some time. Unless of course SS would like to pick up the pace on releases.

Wor-Gar said:
There are a lot of characters I'd like to see in this line. I hope and pray they don't start doing "Aragorn in..." repeats for quite some time. Unless of course SS would like to pick up the pace on releases.

I agree too Wor-Gar... I see that happening a LOOOONG way off... I hope. :monkey2 I really want a Gimli, Eomer, Faramir, Gandalf (White or Grey...preferrably White) Saruman, Nazgul or Witchking... and the hobbits before we have another Aragorn.

Wor-Gar said:

Amen to that!

Though when/if they start to repeat characters, I wouldn't mind having a Strider (FOTR), a HD Aragorn (TTT) and a King Elssar (ROTK) but Gandalf would obviously be the first character they'd repeat.

DarkArtist81 said:
Well, they could very well do Helm's Deep versions of Aragorn AND Legolas. Aragorn wore chainmail, Boromir's vambraces, had the knife from Lothlorien and the cloak. I'd say that is plenty enough for another Aragorn in my book. Just give him another head sculpt, maybe a battle fury face... Perfect. Everyone happy.

exactly what I was thinking DarkArtist...may be some battle damage/wheathering to his outfit and an urukai severed head as well for the exclusive

I guess SS could release either a Fellowship Aragorn w/ cloak, vambraces and knife or Legolas w/ Loth. quiver, bow and cloak as a SDCC excl. figure next year. Those are small enough changes, but cool additions that would be good as an exclusive.

I can't really see another version for Leggie (although Toybiz did a couple of versions) or Boromir. The only other Aragorn that's really necessary is Elessar. There are so many characters to do, I don't see them revisiting the main ones as often as they might with Leia and Luke in SW.

See now I think they should revisit them as often as they do those two in SW. Aragorn is one of the most important characters in the LOTR trilogy as Luke/Leia is for SW.

It would have been nice if the Lothlorien cloaks were standard for every member of the Fellowship and that they included Legolas' Helms Deep shoulder armor with his Rivendell poncho as the exclusive. Then wouldn't that have covered him through all three films?

Yeah, I wish they where as well. I'm gonna end up having to buy another Legolas on ebay I think so I can get one for Aragorn. I do hope GTG is next though since he is high on my list of favorite characters.

carbo-fation said:
That would be a really good idea but would you really want to display three strands of hair besides you figure?:confused:

No, you are right, that would take it a bit to far. I was not really serious about that. I just liked the poetry of that passage in the movie.

I can definitely see Sideshow releasing several different versions of the same character. It just makes financial sense. Just look at the many different versions of Sgt. Ermey released and announced by Sideshow...
Using Aragorn as an example, we could see the following:

1. Aragorn as Strider (already done)
2. Aragorn at Helm's Deep
3. Aragorn/Elessar at the Black Gates
4. Elessar at coronation
5. Another option, which I honestly don't see it being done but still a possibility, would be Aragorn at Rivendell.
6. Heck, another one is the "House of Healing Aragorn/Elessar"...

Sure only the first four are viable options but that in itself is a lot of different Aragorns.

jlcmsu said:
See now I think they should revisit them as often as they do those two in SW. Aragorn is one of the most important characters in the LOTR trilogy as Luke/Leia is for SW.

I agree! SS should revisit all the characters for LOTR often. However, before they start making the same character again, I'd like to see the ones that they haven't made before.

Food for thought...

In the Buffy/Angel 12" series, there are 4 Buffy's and 4 Angel's. :monkey3

Wor-Gar said:

I totally agree that they shouldn't slow down the release of new characters to make room for redos, but if the market is there for them, and if Sideshow can make an extra easy buck which would facilitate the release of new characters, then I say go for it.

The only thing is, I don't think we could be talking about new portraits in that scenario. But the same Aragorn head sculpt, reused cloak, reused vambraces, that kind of thing, with some new costuming, that could definitely work. Sideshow Exclusive kind of thing.

Of course it would be way better with new head sculpting, but then from SS's perspective, isn't that the same thing as a new character?

Back