InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review, thanks for posting the video here. I'm thankful the trousers/pants are overly long like they were in some pictures.
Looks amazing and very much looking forward to it arriving.

Only things that get negative nits from me

-No writing on the pants (but they are pretty much covered by the robe. Not sure if I will swap pants with my Crown GtG or not)
-Maybe a wire in the hat would have been a good idea (but I won't cover the hair and sculpt with the hat anyway)
-The LED in the staff should be a cooler white light should it not? The Warm yellow looks off to me.
-Thumb slots in the sleeves, but I think I can add them no problem.

But yeah overall this is the GtG I have been wanting since I started this hobby all those long years ago. 🙏🙌

Last edited:
Man, this is miles ahead of Asmus, including their new sculpt. And to make it worse for Asmus, the total of their GtG + new sculpt is the same price for the InArt iteration. Anyone want a heavily discounted Asmus GtG? 😁
That's the sad truth.. asmus Crown Gtg is $350 and the new sculpt is $120, and that is not including shipping and tax. :(
Hopefully those who want to sell theirs can get a good price.

Yo this shot from that review:

View attachment 659271
Truly amazing. Work of art!! :love:

Very relieved, it looks incredible! The eyes are impressive, he looks like he has an expression and not the blank lifeless stare this hobby keeps giving us. I wish I trusted InArt more when this was announced and bought two lol

What the heck, that video review he never put the hat on. I need to see how the hat fits because I got rid of the Asmus one because of that hat.

Ah yeah sheet it was literally a few seconds at the end. Looks way better.

From the review 2 pages back:

IMG_1062.png

IMG_1063.png

As someone who completely missed out on all of that, was there ever an established “correct” way to set the figure up so this doesn’t happen?

People were just putting their Jokers on the base without making sure the feet sat perfectly flat, due to the curved nature of the shoes if there's any wobble the magnets will react weirdly to the pull and make the figure fall, that's why EVERY "Joker fell" post that ive seen has fallen forward.
While I can't speak for other collectors and for all I know others did actually pose him incorrectly, that's not the complete picture IMO.
I don't use stands on any of my figures, including Joker. I had him in the same pose for over two months, until one day I walked into my collection room and saw him on the floor of his Detolf cube.
I rarely if ever have a figure falling over, and if so, it's usually a custom figure where the feet, ankle joints and body were not fine tuned to each other by the same company.

Having said that, since then I take extra care posing him and always do a "wobble check". It's not a big deal at all, I just know I need to take that bit of extra care compared to other figures. But I safely exclude magnets having anything to do with it in my case.

Does the toy biz one have the trouser pattern correct
It does actually although they combined the trousers and the robe into one.

Funnily enough, I used the buckle from the brown belt on my Crown Gandalf as it's actually a working belt buckle made from metal rather than the plastic Asmus used...gotta love salvaging parts.

Looks pretty great, but the eyes still bother me a bit. The tracking seems off leading to a slight cross-eyed look. I can live with it though because the sculpt is so fine and detailed.

The only other thing I'm surprised by is the hat and robes look too crisp and new, almost as if they didn't use properly down-scaled fabrics. Any character-figure that has a lot of draping and gathering of fabric in their outfit tends to feel oversized and "doll-like" when done in 1:6 scale. It's somewhat unavoidable, but can be fixed by using finer materials and some treatment to the fabric. I really thought InArt would effectively "sculpt" the robes by weathering and treating them so we'd have some illusion of screen accuracy. Instead I'm seeing a stiff heavy outfit and hat that seems like it will need a lot of fussing with. I know there's the water soaking method, but for a figure of this cost I don't want to mess with it too much.

Last edited:
This looks great. I actually really enjoy both my Asmus Crown Gandalfs (especially with the new upgraded Grey head), but I will be proud to add this guy to the shelves, too. (And I'm REALLY looking forward to Aragorn. That sculpt is bananas.)

Here's a question for you ... Since the early days, every couple of years a company puts out a figure or series of figures that causes a stir and results in a leap forward in the hobby generally -- sculpting, hairing, painting, eye poseability, LEDs, etc. Is this one of those figures? (I think this one - along with Aragorn - just might be.) And what do you think the next technological leap will be? Rooted hair for short-haired characters? Better ways of hiding of joints - especially wrists? Something we haven't even thought of?

Back