InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true. There were a few HT figures that I was incredibly impressed by but as I acquired more and more there were far too many that were just serviceable and didn't impress in any way.
Agree totally, I sold all mine bar the 1/4 Endoskeleton. When they started doing mass re-issues they lost me.
The whole feeling of owning something that was great quality, rare and sought after was part of the buzz for me.
I sold my Gold Chrome Iron Man at the height of the hype for £750 which is crazy but showed how highly HT's brand had risen.
I see InArt becoming the premium collectible for people who want a top quality product that wont be replicated just for profit.

On the other hand, no reissues is also bad for people new to the hobby. When everyone sitting on their +300% value figures.
There is a thin line between 'collectible' and availability for fans.

Sure collectible means it shouldnt be replicated forever and people want special pieces. I think the best way is to release standard sets for everyone and special promo versions for value collectors.

I think its more 'luck of the draw' really. I suppose there is some 'improvement over time' that kicks in on the chain-gang. But its not like as soon as one doll is haired, its picked up and packed and shipped immediately. I'm sure haired dolls pile up, then packed indiscriminately, then the packed boxes are stacked in a who-knows order.

I mean, if we saw like 20 improved Jokers in later months OK, but other than the blutac issue, there was no real improvement... just one Joker here and one Joker there that looks "better" but could just be luck.
What was the blutac issue, I must of missed that.

On the other hand, no reissues is also bad for people new to the hobby. When everyone sitting on their +300% value figures.
There is a thin line between 'collectible' and availability for fans.

Sure collectible means it shouldnt be replicated forever and people want special pieces. I think the best way is to release standard sets for everyone and special promo versions for value collectors.
Destroys the exclusivity for me, let the new collectors admire from afar and invest in the new releases so they to can own something that is admired by the newbies of the future.
I mean can you imagine brands like Rolex, Gucci, Ferrari etc reissuing and upgrading the previously released products just so new buyers can own the same and in some cases better models, its a slap in the face to those who bought in good faith so early on to then have another released thats better.
Why not do a varient of the original but not the same ffs.

Destroys the exclusivity for me, let the new collectors admire from afar and invest in the new releases so they to can own something that is admired by the newbies of the future.
I mean can you imagine brands like Rolex, Gucci, Ferrari etc reissuing and upgrading the previously released products just so new buyers can own the same and in some cases better models, its a slap in the face to those who bought in good faith so early on to then have another released thats better.
Why not do a varient of the original but not the same ffs.
My vision of collecting couldn’t be more different. Exclusivity and resell value don’t interest me. I am not collecting to sell or to deprive others of wanted products. I just collect what I care about and I am collecting to keep, not to sell along the way. And if I have to, in the future, I don’t care what I’ll make.

This is a hobby, not an investment.

My vision of collecting couldn’t be more different. Exclusivity and resell value don’t interest me. I am not collecting to sell or to deprive others of wanted products. I just collect what I care about and I am collecting to keep, not to sell along the way. And if I have to, in the future, I don’t care what I’ll make.

This is a hobby, not an investment.
I need the buz of quality, rarity and exclusivity, Hot Toys Hasbro production line just dont do it for me no more.

I've never bought a figure with the specific intent to resell it later. If the value goes up and I decide to part with it... cool... but it doesn't really matter to me.

I don't care how many people own the same thing as me or how rare it is, in fact the more people that get to enjoy it the better. Isn't that why we all come here? To discuss the things we own/want/love with fellow collectors?

I think having a little exclusivity keeps things exciting. Gets the blood pumping every once and awhile, so to speak. But I definitely don't see figure collecting as an investment. I collect because I view them as little art pieces- their resale value is rarely considered. It would be nice if these figures at least maintained their value, so on the offchance I do sell one I can at least get my money back (to then promptly sink into another figure 🤟). But even though most of these things will lose value over time, it's the enjoyment I get out of them that really matters.

I've never bought a figure with the specific intent to resell it later. If the value goes up and I decide to part with it... cool... but it doesn't really matter to me.

I don't care how many people own the same thing as me or how rare it is, in fact the more people that get to enjoy it the better. Isn't that why we all come here? To discuss the things we own/want/love with fellow collectors?
Oh dont get me wrong, I dont buy to sell for profit but I do expect a certain amount of quality and a premium feeling to something that I buy, I just did not get that with HT's anymore.

I think having a little exclusivity keeps things exciting. Gets the blood pumping every once and awhile, so to speak. But I definitely don't see figure collecting as an investment. I collect because I view them as little art pieces- their resale value is rarely considered. It would be nice if these figures at least maintained their value, so on the offchance I do sell one I can at least get my money back (to then promptly sink into another figure 🤟). But even though most of these things will lose value over time, it's the enjoyment I get out of them that really matters.
Your right, I don't think it can be an investment, especially now with so many third party companies doing pretty good quality figures, as people will always gravitate to the cheaper option. But I do like to own something that is desirable. If I were rich I would be buying customs from Arnie Kim or Toyman but at $3.5k for these OZ figures and 10K Clark Kent I got no chance lol

361269733_806307860880075_5889694566400310387_n.jpg
clark kent.jpg

I don't really collect for resale value but I'm also not a fan of straight reissues Make it a real 2.0 if you want to do the same character over again or a variant like it was said above. It's not about exclusivity for me, but I don't really like having the exact same older figure that is now being arguably upgraded with latest painting tech, materials, etc. b/c I know my OCD will want the newer one if it is indeed better even if it's only by a small margin. I'll sell the older version and get whatever the market is asking for, but I don't like my own compulsion to need the new version :LOL:

I will also get a lot of my figures for deep discounts on the secondary market either opened/used or even brand new at times so I rarely lose money when selling. I figure between all the figures I've sold in the past and am currently selling, I've at the very least broke even. Though, in 2019 when I lost my previous job, I made some really good money selling most of my collection, enough to hold me over into 2020. Not doing as well as that now though :lol

Back