InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just gonna follow this guy's sage advice ...

Hold On To Your Butts GIFs | Tenor

This is gonna be for a lot of folks and I already know some are going to be disappointed when production rolls around. Seeing this figure under normal out of box lighting and setup is gonna ruin so many peoples perception on it. :lol I'm ready for the chaos.
I guess that’s the downside of marketting your product by using what are essentially custom quality protos that have been slaved over and meticulously refined by the most talented artists in the industry, then posed by skilled collectors, and photographed under professional conditions with extremely high quality cameras- only to then go through the standard downgrade during the factory assembly process that all figures do, then be amateurishly plonked on a display unit with multiple glaring lights blasting right at it from all angles- and best of all- to have what quality remains captured on potato phone cameras held by the grubby, overly excitable, shaky hands of whatever type of nerd manages to get access to these shows, and finally the images are circulated to us overly critical and over-reactionary folks to kick up a storm and make mountains out of molehills.

Tis the cycle of collecting life.

something looks different from this angle or maybe its just me. I cant quite put it into words what.
IMO too smooth and young looking. And sad. Thorin also looked sad.

But, I ordered to have a Ranger Aragorn (and used ASMUS is being put up for about the same price as this new, because people are what they are).

And it's hard to tell without the fig in hand. Like I've gotten HTs where - for instance Qui Gon - folks were complaining lines and details weren't on the production sculpt. I get the fig in hand and there they are. It a great sculpt with plenty of detail if not 100%.

Plus without having the fig in hand, you can't futz or fluff the hair. Worst case, if there's a lot of product in the hair, I'll have him on his way to Amon Sûl where he looked pretty damp.

Is it just me or is his coat the wrong material, too thick and too large? It looks more like wool or suede than the smooth (albeit weathered) leather from the movies and it's hanging off his shoulders.

Maybe. I don't know why they would switch to suede. Whatever they picked had to be strong enough to deal with all the stitches without ripping or stretching on a production line, so it may be a bit bulkier than folks expect.
Wasn't it hanging off his shoulders a bit in the films, the idea being the character could remove the sleeves on the road and repair by himself? Now I need to go look. On the mannequin the shoulders look a bit dropped

Last edited:
Aragorn looks amazing there but definitely looks somehow different from what we have seen before. Lighting washes his face out, but still looks different. I think it's his hair, they show too much of his forehead there.

Pop Collectibles just posted a pic on Instagram - looks pretty much like the great pictures we saw in the past- just bad light and angle- and maybe a little bit too much product in the hair

I just really want someone to flatten that cloak down to expose his neck more. Then we’re looking at perfection.

I actually think the cloak should be cut to reduce as much fabric as possible from being at the front because that’s the one area that is detracting from the scaled realism.

Looking good here
For me he still looks a bit "soft eyed" dunno how to put that. But without repositioning the eyes, and head and body, I feel like I won't know - especially with minute paint differences - what he will look like, to me.

Except, this is probably the best Aragorn sculpt I've seen, including WETA. Tho I don't remember ever seeing a custom Aragorn.

EDIT: Nevermind. I completely forgot and the site I was looking at didn't have all the pics posted.

You know, we never got a pic from InArt of him without his coat for the Amon Hen scene. It's more than likely too late now, but I do wonder if they got the pattern on the shoulders of his shirt correct. Asmus missed it the first time around as well as Sideshow on the 1/6. I think Asmus Slim Aragorn and ACI Aragorn had it though as well as the PF.

Last edited:
The sculpted version's stubble looks a bit lighter, if these are production pieces then it's normal can't really expect them to paint every single copy the exact same. The rooted version looks so good sad I have to pass on it simply can't afford it.

Sculpted doesnt look too good here

But the rooted hair looks stringy and plasticy. Does anybody know why it doesnt look as fine and natural and silky smooth like it does here?View attachment 666444

View attachment 666445
Is it the product that makes it look like that?

Anyone else think the hair almost looks more like an added on wig than rooted hair here? Still looks really good but under super zoom it almost looks like sculpting under hair sitting on top? Maybe a faster and more consistent way to have haired figures?

You know, we never got a pic from InArt of him without his coat for the Amon Hen scene. It's more than likely too late now, but I do wonder if they got the pattern on the shoulders of his shirt correct. Asmus missed it the first time around as well as Sideshow on the 1/6. I think Asmus Slim Aragorn and ACI Aragorn had it though as well as the PF.

View attachment 666714

Attachments

• aragorn_amonhen.jpeg
    aragorn_amonhen.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
Back