InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah ok. Like i said I wasn't sure, but i thought they would use this glass technology.

I swear some people are deadset on starting controversy and panic.

I don’t believe they had that intention. I had a moment of questioning what I was seeing to, to be honest. Seems that nobody is used to this level of detail. I keep hearing “ this is literally the best sculpt I had ever seen on a figure ever” from folks on YouTube and I have a hard time arguing that. Seeing the figure in a video with a hand holding it was eye opening for me. It’s like I couldn’t believe what I was seeing until then.

Ah ok. Like i said I wasn't sure, but i thought they would use this glass technology.
Only glass eyes I've really seen have been on the QueenStudio Alita 1/1 bust. It's not really used elsewhere or all that common.

9fwb0F8.jpg

Weta used glass eyes on their 1/3 Gollum MC statue too.

FOMO with this is real. I swear I was done with 1/6 figures and only buying the occasional Weta statue. Every time I come to this thread I’m blown away by how perfect it looks.

Anyone have links to decent videos of preparing rooted hair properly, jst with all the talk about products and using water would actually be good to see the process, I'm not getting decent returns on YouTube, maybe I'm not searching for right thing. Longer more detailed than the Inart clip I mean. Thanks

I keep coming back to this thread and this figure looks amazing (inaccuracies aside). These super high quality InArt figures are all so good that these masterpieces will be visually lost with other 1/6 figs in anything more than a small collection. Most other 1/6 just look like toys compared to these.

I don't currently collect 1/4 scale, but I would buy all of their Fellowship LotR figures if made in 1/4 scale to really showcase my fondness for the movies and set them apart from other 1/6 figures. None of the 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 scale Gandalf or Aragorn statues on the market look as good as these InArt 1/6 fig prototypes.

View attachment 617740
It is nice to see that they are listening! Anyone else gotten feedback from them about the innacuracies so that they can get working on ironing them out before its being released?

Another fix I would like to see is on the Elven cape. The color might be right, but the material and pattern are wrong.
It shouldn't be as shiny as it is, and it shouldn't have a twill pattern.
It needs to be matte in appearance, more textured, and somehow include the unusual curve shaped all over pattern.
The real cape has a vey interesting weave, not twill straight lines.

This! I was going to get to this point too but the current cape isn't correct either. The fabric weave is very distinct and below you can see an exact replica made by the creators of the movie cloaks, Stansborough.

The color. Yes everyone is convinced it's green but it's actually grey! The green is due to the harsh green filter applied to The Fellowship blu-ray. I will also concede that it looks green in other parts of the trilogy but in pure daylight and no filter, it's gray.

20f3a752581bdcd2a0f52a85e9a532b1.jpg
lotr-swing-tags-frodo-new-copy_8.jpg
Screen-Shot-2018-04-13-at-1.59.33-PM-1024x868.jpg

Fellowship-Fabric-Hood-8-scaled.jpeg

Another fix I would like to see is on the Elven cape. The color might be right, but the material and pattern are wrong.
It shouldn't be as shiny as it is, and it shouldn't have a twill pattern.
It needs to be matte in appearance, more textured, and somehow include the unusual curve shaped all over pattern.
The real cape has a vey interesting weave, not twill straight lines.

Anyone have links to decent videos of preparing rooted hair properly, jst with all the talk about products and using water would actually be good to see the process, I'm not getting decent returns on YouTube, maybe I'm not searching for right thing. Longer more detailed than the Inart clip I mean. Thanks

I haven’t watch this through but I think his videos are helpful. A comment asked what product he uses to style and his response was pledge floor polish mixed with water. However, he mentions it hardens over time.

This! I was going to get to this point too but the current cape isn't correct either. The fabric weave is very distinct and below you can see an exact replica made by the creators of the movie cloaks, Stansborough.

The color. Yes everyone is convinced it's green but it's actually grey! The green is due to the harsh green filter applied to The Fellowship blu-ray. I will also concede that it looks green in other parts of the trilogy but in pure daylight and no filter, it's gray.

View attachment 617778View attachment 617779View attachment 617780
View attachment 617777

Excellent post!
I've never known what color it is. It's looked, green, grey, blue, and all shades in between those.
It definitely changes from lighting and color filters. The movie set pics there look like a dark blue-ish gray, then the actual one looks like a lighter gray.
I've just gotten used to all of the merchandise giving them light green/grey capes, so I've liked the aesthetic.
Maybe they can use just the right color fabric that will react differently to light. They need to talk to Nanjin, haha.
You found a great shot of the texture and pattern!

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are the best trio from the franchise.

My favourite trio also considering movie importance and natural trio pairing would be Gandalf + Aragorn + Frodo.

I'm 2/3 of the way there.

Man, this figure looks incredible! I was ready to pass on it after seeing the prototype they showed off a few months ago, but there's no way I'm not getting this guy based on this update. He will complete my LotR 1/6 shelf next to Asmus' Frodo, Gandalf the Grey, and their upcoming Gollum or Smeagol.

I'm going to pay in full for the sculpted hair version at KGHobby for $298 out the door. That seems like an amazing price for such a stellar figure, and I've never had any issues with KG after four orders with them over the past few years.

I would not be going near the hair on my figures with pomade. Period. Way too greasy and once it’s on, it’s on unless you actually plan on washing the hair.

A beeswax based organic hairwax. The TINIEST rub of it in your fingertip and heavily watered down to apply. Spot on. 👍🏻

I have an agreement with my best mates that if I pass away, they will not let my wife sell anything in my collection at the $$$ amount I told her I paid for it. 😲
Yes, I did that as well! Good strategy for collectors.
Got one good friend of mine that will take care of my collection when I'm gone.
Including which figure that will be buried with me, and which file to print on the tomb, you know, a "fake curse not to dig my grave and steal my toys" thingy.

"Elven cloaks were given to all nine members of the Fellowship of the Ring, woven for them by Galadriel herself and her maidens. Each cloak had a hood, was fitted to its wearer, and was fastened by a green Elven brooch. Their colour was hard to define – grey in twilight but green when moved or brown as fields or dusk-silver in the night. While they could not deflect a shaft or blade they acted as camouflage against unfriendly eyes.[1]".
Honestly, I'm fine with the cloak being green-ish, as it's seen in the movie, rather than grey, no mater what the actual prop color was (same case than the old Han Solo blue-brown coat, I guess).

I do wonder how this will affect the custom market now. I agree these releases are incredibly infringing on the quality that customs bring at quite an astonishingly reduced cost for what you receive, although there are some customs out there that go that extra length for example in making hair look like it's spaced out and individually inserted, adding that extra depth.

But customs had precisely three things going for them: Individual bodies that anatomically depict body weight and stance, details to painting, and glued realistic hair. Especially with this release Inart seem to be ticking all those boxes and delivery for an incredibly generous price.

A bit strange considering Viper is a custom artist, I own one of his Joker heads painted and rooted by him that was, together with the sculpt, the cost of two Aragorns - and now he is leading a department which is probably under-costing in comparison. It'll be interesting to see how that market reponds, if they hold the price for what they are charging or reduce it.

Because not only this, but Inart having access, and potentially JND also, to a varied license of characters, I just can't see that market surviving in its current state.
Viper was a custom artist. Now he’s been hired by a company that makes custom level figures, but instead of doing 5 or 15 of them they do 10.000. Of course the final product will cost 400$ instead of 1.500$.

Customs market will not suffer. They’ll focus on unexplored characters, just as it is now. They’ll always find their buyers.

I do wonder how this will affect the custom market now. I agree these releases are incredibly infringing on the quality that customs bring at quite an astonishingly reduced cost for what you receive, although there are some customs out there that go that extra length for example in making hair look like it's spaced out and individually inserted, adding that extra depth.

But customs had precisely three things going for them: Individual bodies that anatomically depict body weight and stance, details to painting, and glued realistic hair. Especially with this release Inart seem to be ticking all those boxes and delivery for an incredibly generous price.

A bit strange considering Viper is a custom artist, I own one of his Joker heads painted and rooted by him that was, together with the sculpt, the cost of two Aragorns - and now he is leading a department which is probably under-costing in comparison. It'll be interesting to see how that market reponds, if they hold the price for what they are charging or reduce it.

Because not only this, but Inart having access, and potentially JND also, to a varied license of characters, I just can't see that market surviving in its current state.
It's not gonna change anything. Quite literally yesterday Mishi put up their preorder for their 1/6 Nurse Joker figure for $2450.

3ZyXc0O.png

The thing to be grateful for is that Inart is trying to bridge that gap a bit between mass produced figures and custom quality ones. It will never match of course but at least they're doing something with the hobby to push it further.

Last edited:
Back