In what order do you rate the Indiana Jones Movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me:

Temple of Doom
Last Crusade
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Some posts back I was being critical about the unnecessary humor in TOD and LC, and how I think they really took away from those movies. It was really about the comic relief characters and how they completely derail every action scene by constantly intercutting back to their "hilarious" antics.

Well, I still feel that way, but I just want to point out how the Avengers managed to incorporate humor in an action movie successfully. All the jokes feel right and natural within the movie. And they are not relegated to just one "funny" character. And it's not so much about cracking jokes either, or infantile humor. All the humor in the Avengers came in different ways from different characters in different situations.

Raiders felt more that way. TOD, as awesome as it is, suffered in the long run because of Willie. While I was completely enthralled as a 12 year old, the jokes and humor feel really forced and silly watching it now as a grown up, and take away a bit from the experience. The Raiders humor still holds up because it wasn't aimed at young kids.

And I've always had a dislike of LC, not just because of all the goofiness, but because everything looks so cheap! You'd think they'd have a better budget for it being the third film in a very successful franchise! But some of those special effects look terrible and they looked terrible back when it was released too!

1) Raiders. Without question it's still a classic.

2) If I go into a zen-like state and block out Kate Capshaw TOD is my second favorite. I HATED Temple when it first came out. About a year ago I watched it for the first time in forever and decided I had been too harsh. It feels more like a real Indy movie than LC or KOTCS. There's cool stop motion and minatures and glass matte paintings... This is ILM at the height of it's powers before it sold it's soul to CG. Harrison ACTS! He's kinda badass in a few places. He's not just phoning it in. I like Short Round, even if he's overused for camp. They could have brought him back instead of Mutt for Crystal Skull and it would have made a huge difference.

3) Last Crusade. Not aging as well as I expected. Alison Doody is a lightweight actress and Walter Donovan just wasn't a great villain.

...then there's fifty feet of crap, and then there's Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Last edited:
And I've always had a dislike of LC, not just because of all the goofiness, but because everything looks so cheap! You'd think they'd have a better budget for it being the third film in a very successful franchise! But some of those special effects look terrible and they looked terrible back when it was released too!

Much as I enjoy TLC, I must agree. Some of the effects haven't held up well :|

I liked the humor in tod. As much as willy scott sucked, i loved the rest. Like when indy thinks he knocked the thuggee of the cart. He smiles and then gets attacked again. The part that never gets old is when indy is poisoned turns around and punches the woman in the face. I crack myself up writing this down hahaha.

I don't know why everyone hate LC. Raiders and LC are tied for ,e then there TOD.

I got really into like the first 30 minutes of KOTC and was wondering why everyone beat it up....and then I saw. The silliness,dialog and action was so overdone. It reached far and beyond of the realm of absurd. Everytime I think of Mutt vine swinging with those ____ing monkys I cringe.

I had the same with KOTCS. I liked the first part. I liked the first gopher but was annoyed about the joke repeating itself. I accually liked the fridge scene. I thought it was a statement to say, 'hey it's just a movie'. Then the story started to unfold and I wanted to know more about the ancient civilizations based on the aliens. They started the research and I was getting excited. Then after the grave scene they got captured by the russions. It all went downhill from there. One silly joke after another, there was no danger at all, Marion laughing while russian soldiers with machineguns are after them. Then it happened.....The monkey scene! I liked the joke with hair but it could have been used in the silly swordfight.About the swordfight...which mother in the world would look at the footwork of her son fighting a dangerous woman who iintends to kill him, and just comment about it. It was all so light and silly, Then the fight with the russion was ok and the killer ants also but they had to stretch it further and again to far when the ants tried to get the russian chick. And sorry to say...you have John Hurt, THE storyteller, and he acts like an idiot! It started out like an indy movie, but watching it in the theatre I got uncomfortable very fast.

So many things were underused like the power of spalko. Why bring it up if you're not going to use it. Enough about this. I am getting pissed of all over again....

I don't know why everyone hate LC. Raiders and LC are tied for ,e then there TOD.

I got really into like the first 30 minutes of KOTC and was wondering why everyone beat it up....and then I saw. The silliness,dialog and action was so overdone. It reached far and beyond of the realm of absurd. Everytime I think of Mutt vine swinging with those ____ing monkys I cringe.

I don't think LC helped itself with the time setting and its portrayal of the Nazi's. Could it be better if it had been a direct sequel to Raiders? I'd have preffered it to be set around 1939/40 and have the Nazi's more in line with how they were portrayed in Raiders.

Other than that LC is a good film, a rollercoaster ride it's not but the interaction between Ford and Connery is magical.

I liked the humor in tod. As much as willy scott sucked, i loved the rest. Like when indy thinks he knocked the thuggee of the cart. He smiles and then gets attacked again. The part that never gets old is when indy is poisoned turns around and punches the woman in the face. I crack myself up writing this down hahaha.

I don't mind those bits you pointed out. In fact, that whole opening sequence looking for the antidote and the diamond is great fun! I marvel at how great the visual gags are, with the diamond/antidote getting swiped away right when they are about to get taken. But watching the movie again as an adult I'm more bothered by how the humor (a lot of it very infantile) is intercut with a more serious scene throughout the film, so it undermines the action and danger. It becomes such a steady rhythm of danger/joke/danger/joke, that it's very jarring and pulls me out of the movie.

But I still enjoy TOD.

I love the first three...

But why do they have to air them every other week?

It's growing tiresome.

I just popped in the bluray KOTCS disc and tried to watch it yesterday....

Jesus it sucks....as soon as he runs in the rafters dodging bullits the movie goes to ____......swinging and crashing through the steel framed window of an army truck without a scratch huh.....

The hovitos in raiders were raw and uber realistic....
The south American tribesman are lame and fake looking with no sense of true authenticity.....

After the "to be a good archeologist you have to get out of the library" bit...I shut it down for good...

I don't remember if I rated them each on a scale of 0-10, but here goes:

Raiders - 10/10
Temple Of Doom - 10/10
Last Crusade - 8/10
Crystal Skull - 7/10

Back