Hypothetical discussion of the HT Watchmen line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have to disagree. Watchmen is unique in that it's not really ABOUT the villain, until RIGHT at the end. In fact, especially in the movie (though also in the comic), Ozy is almost a second-tier character that you can easily forget about at times, until it all comes together. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy an Ozy, but I don't think he's 100% necessary, either.

(It doesn't help that, at least in the movie, he's probably the least interesting Watchmen character IMHO).

I was just about to say that!

Referring to the book mostly here but when I read it I dont even find it to be so much about the story let alone the villain. Its more about what drives the characters and the world they live in rather than the base 'whodunnit' story

I'm not gonna go into loads of detail, just my opinion on it :)

Well if you want to get down to it, all Watchmen characters that weren't Rorschach were second tier. Just look at how many Rorschach scenes/lines were given to Nite Owl and others just to flesh them out more.

I disagree. It is an ensemble plot and I think people choose characters to focus on based on their values and interests. If you like morally ambiguous anti-heroes like Wolverine or the Punisher, then Rorschach or the Comedian are probably your guys, especially if their politics don't bother you. For a lot of people Dan & Lorrie and/or Dr. Manhattan would be the 'main characters' (those are certainly the three I would buy from HT).

That is what makes Watchmen a real work of literature though is that it offers itself to different interpretations, rather than a simple good guy vs. bad guy plot.

It's because most of the narriation was from Rorschach. Not too many stories if any can function with no true protagonists, not debating favorites but Rorschach is definitely the main character.

That is what a lot of people are thinking. Considering how we have yet to see Nite Owl II and Rorschach, the missing Ozy and Manhattan are really slim in term of chances.

No one is saying that. What people are saying is that HT themselves won't consider the line relevant enough to garner a Manhattan out of it. Also that they wouldn't have enough to include to garner a $150 purchase.

No one is saying that. What people are saying is that HT themselves won't consider the line relevant enough to garner a Manhattan out of it. Also that they wouldn't have enough to include to garner a $150 purchase.

I dunno, the business suit, photograph, possibly LED eyes, more than Silk Specter had anyway.

Exactly. All bets are off at this point especially since HT pretty much assumes how far the lines will go before the first figure is even offered. No one has any clue how far the line will go or not go and something as revolutionary as Leonidas' body would most logically produce a Manhattan to get the most out of the technology but if HT is pretty much making up the rules as they go.

As far as HT's track record,I don't know how we can be sure of that.The only figure released before The Comedian was Silk Spectre and it seemed like it got fairly good sales(it sold out anyhow),and Comedian seems like he's getting his fair share of attention.So,who knows.BTW The Mike,your Muppets:Bohemian Rhapsody video made my day.

Back