HT jack sparrow (pics)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, like I've said, I still find some faults in this figure, but all in all, it's fantastic, especially that his hair is soft rubber and allows some dynamic head posing. Really nice piece, worth every penny it cost.

I have to agree, awesome pic by the way. I thought about doing a repaint, but I figure 1. Sparrow would be pretty tan from all the time in the sun, It is the Caribbean after all. 2. Until I see how the other figures in the Pirate line are gonna match skin tone wise I don't think I'll touch mine, other than fixing the corners of the 'stache

I have to agree, awesome pic by the way. I thought about doing a repaint, but I figure 1. Sparrow would be pretty tan from all the time in the sun, It is the Caribbean after all. 2. Until I see how the other figures in the Pirate line are gonna match skin tone wise I don't think I'll touch mine, other than fixing the corners of the 'stache

As Jack would say, "that's interesting." I haven't felt at all that his skin tone is off, I think it's just right, a tanned shade with a bit of dirtying going on. I'm even ok with his mustcahe, the only thing I'm hung up on as far as paint apps go are his eyes, they work for head down type poses where you're looking at him just right, but otherwise, they lose some of the traits that made Jack's eyes really stand out and define the character. I know, I'm frickin' anal, but Jack Sparrow is one of my favorite film characters ever, and being an artist, I've intricately studied him from hair to wardrobe to makeup effects, I really have Jack burned into my brain, and that's why I love the NECA At World's end figures, they really NAILED Jack, granted they're stuck in poses, but if you look at the face and the paints for the wardrobe, they're very WOW pieces.

As Jack would say, "that's interesting." I haven't felt at all that his skin tone is off, I think it's just right, a tanned shade with a bit of dirtying going on. I'm even ok with his mustcahe, the only thing I'm hung up on as far as paint apps go are his eyes, they work for head down type poses where you're looking at him just right, but otherwise, they lose some of the traits that made Jack's eyes really stand out and define the character. I know, I'm frickin' anal, but Jack Sparrow is one of my favorite film characters ever, and being an artist, I've intricately studied him from hair to wardrobe to makeup effects, I really have Jack burned into my brain, and that's why I love the NECA At World's end figures, they really NAILED Jack, granted they're stuck in poses, but if you look at the face and the paints for the wardrobe, they're very WOW pieces.

That's where I was going as well, others have said the skin tone was too dark, I don't mind it at all. As for the eyes I found that if you dab a bit of gloss varnish in the eyes it gives them much more of that Sparrow twinkle of mischif look. The only thing I noticed was the mustache should curl around the corners of his mouth and the figure out of the box doesn't

Last edited:
I'll have to try and add this little detail next.
Tatt1.jpg

That's where I was going as well, others have said the skin tone was too dark, I don't mind it at all. As for the eyes I found that if you dab a bit of gloss varnish in the eyes it gives them much more of that Sparrow twinkle of mischif look. The only thing I noticed was the mustache should curl around the corners of his mouth and the figure out of the box doesn't

Actually, I think the eyes shine enough, what bothers me on the eyes is iris and pupil location, they should be darker and more centered between the top lid and the bottom lid.

Not sure yet on the coat... Depends. I might, but I will have to see where I am at when the time comes. Seems like the right thing to do though.

Well beyond my better judgement I decided to try just that and recolored the boots to be a bit more tan. Pretty much disaster as far as the jacket. I used color remover to try and get the brown color out or at least most of it, which worked surprisingly well.

Unfortunately all of the little buttons which are apparently on by very weak glue or adhesive all came off as well. Some were lost in the sink when dumping the color remover. The lining inside the right side all came apart as well. :monkey2

Then I tried to redye the coat using black dye and after 4 times dying the jacket with straight black dye, it is now almost the exact color it was when I first started....chocolate brown. :dunno

I like Jack better without the coat so it's ok but still ticked I tackled this with such an expensive figure. Since I started this horrific experiment I'll see it through till I get the best results I can and try it once more, just thought I'd post this as a warning to anyone who wants to try and redye the Sparrow jacket

Well beyond my better judgement I decided to try just that and recolored the boots to be a bit more tan. Pretty much disaster as far as the jacket. I used color remover to try and get the brown color out or at least most of it, which worked surprisingly well.

Unfortunately all of the little buttons which are apparently on by very weak glue or adhesive all came off as well. Some were lost in the sink when dumping the color remover. The lining inside the right side all came apart as well. :monkey2

Then I tried to redye the coat using black dye and after 4 times dying the jacket with straight black dye, it is now almost the exact color it was when I first started....chocolate brown. :dunno

I like Jack better without the coat so it's ok but still ticked I tackled this with such an expensive figure. Since I started this horrific experiment I'll see it through till I get the best results I can and try it once more, just thought I'd post this as a warning to anyone who wants to try and redye the Sparrow jacket

So I guess we should be wary of any 'water treatment' as well with those buttons?

Too bad, I was also going to try and 'fade' the coat too. I guess now I've have to do it with a very diluted acrylic mix and brush it lightly in places of wear. Of course, this is risky too as it may seep and collect in places.

Perhaps just leaving it out in the sun for a day will fade it correctly.

So does Jack not have the tattoo on his forearm? Seems like an odd detail for HT to leave off, especially since Medicom didn't. Oh well, I'll probably usually display him with the Jacket so its not a big issue.

So does Jack not have the tattoo on his forearm? Seems like an odd detail for HT to leave off, especially since Medicom didn't. Oh well, I'll probably usually display him with the Jacket so its not a big issue.

Yeah, I would have liked that too... but I'd never really pose him with that detail exposed either. Nice to know its there though.

Actually, there's a rational cause for Medi to have it and HT not to. Medi's Jack figure is costumed entirely based on Curse of the Black Pearl, and that was the only film in which Jack's namesake tattoo was shown. HT Jack is based on his Dead Man's Chest and At World's end costume, and no tattoo was ever seen so while the tattoo is a character trait, it is not a feature of the films on which this figure is based. The only mark to make multiple showings isn't on either figure, and that's his P for pirate that Beckett burnt into his arm, you see it in Curse and in At World's End.

I thought the figure was based on Dead Mans Chest... hence the bandaged hand and that the box says Dead Mans Chest :monkey3

I thought the figure was based on Dead Mans Chest... hence the bandaged hand and that the box says Dead Mans Chest :monkey3

Well, the license is for Dead Man's chest, and he has the wrap on his hand in all of the films, but if you study photos and what not from all 3 films, you'll find his buckle on his cutlas bandolier was much simpler in the first film, he only had one belt on his waist, and he didn't have anything but his compass on his belt in Curse of the Black Pearl. My theory is, either Medi skimped when making the figure, or because of timing, their reference images were Curse of the Black Pearl materials and they didn't realize it would change significantly between film 1 and 2. I've been studying Jack a lot, especially when some of the Medi-HT comparrison came up and without paying close attention, you may not pick up in the differences Johnny made from the first to second film, but he added to Jack's things and the final 2 films reflect that look.

Isn't the new one that Sideshow's distributing going to be AWE? Is it going to be different?

Sideshow is distributing the AWE Jack Sparrow that's already shipping from Hot Toys. Medicom won the DMC license, but like with X-Men 3, they wasted it and only produced a single figure. Hot Toys has won the AWE license, and hopefully they will secure COTBP and DMC as well, I still like Medi Jack, but I've never liked that he is a standalone figure, there are too many good characters to make into 1/6 figures form POTC, and thankfully, HT is going for it.

Looking at some pics around the net of both Jack and Ms. Swann these HT figures are really amazing.

Back