Ht bigchap or Neca 18"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get the Neca one. Nice paintjob on the HT one but thats about it - and even that won't last - the paint will flake off and the rubber will degrade in time.

Neca's will be longer lasting and is more accurate.

HT's an awesome company, but their aliens suck.

:lecture
Truer words have never been spoken.

But...

It really depends on what you're looking for: a stand alone piece or something to go with your 1/6 collection? A highly accurate representation or a cool-looking alien? Are you more interested in posing and articulation or aesthetics?

Both the NECA and the Medicom figures are vastly superior in terms of accuracy, and both are pretty sturdy. Neither is 1/6 scale.
HT's figure is an interesting interpretation and mostly pretty well put together, but it's very inaccurate. And not in a good way...

However, I will echo the sentiment expressed by some: get both! If you're already considering the HT figure, the NECA figure won't set you back too much, it is rather inexpensive.

In order of coolness and accuracy...

100_1028.jpg

100_6169a.jpg

100_1301.jpg

I prefer the HT figure... sure its got accuracy issues, but I think its overall a very nice figure. NECA is great for the price, but still (to me) looks like a giant toy; the HT feels more high end and of course fits in if you are a 1/6 collector.

But, if you do go HT... do yourself a favor and buy a silver leaf pen to give his teeth and nails a nice chrome look. I also went ahead and glued his mouth shut... these little changes make a big difference IMO on the improving the look of the figure.

aka.jpg

colj.jpg

I prefer the HT figure... sure its got accuracy issues, but I think its overall a very nice figure. NECA is great for the price, but still (to me) looks like a giant toy; the HT feels more high end and of course fits in if you are a 1/6 collector.

:exactly:....

I can't comment on the Neca piece, as I don't have it. But there's no denying that the Big Chap is an impressive looking piece in anyone's collection, regardless of any detail discrepancies it has.

I've got mine on its own detolf shelf, alone, and it commands attention from everyone that comes into my office/hobby room. I got mine recently, so I may still be suffering from its "newness factor", but I think its an amazing piece and one of my favorites.

But I can understand the fustrations with many, wishing that HT had simply used many of the references available to provide an even better rendition of "the" Alien.

Not a figure and perhaps not the most accurate, but my favorite Giger Alien collectible is hands down the SSC Alien Diorama. It captures the iconic scene really well and just looks amazing, but then I'm a sucker for elaborated base/diorama, I think it adds a lot to the character.

9102_press02-001.jpg

9102_press04-001.jpg

9102_press01-001.jpg

I will almost always choose an inaccurate Hot Toys figure over an accurate NECA one, and this is the case here. But different strokes for different folks. It depends on what fits best with your interests and collection.

Hot Toys has really come a long way since the release of their last Alien, the Big Chap. I'd love to see them tackle another Alien with the new design elements that they've implemented into the production of their figures.

I will almost always choose an inaccurate Hot Toys figure over an accurate NECA one, and this is the case here. But different strokes for different folks. It depends on what fits best with your interests and collection.
incidentally, that's exactly why HT makes inaccurate aliens.

But, if you do go HT... do yourself a favor and buy a silver leaf pen to give his teeth and nails a nice chrome look. I also went ahead and glued his mouth shut... these little changes make a big difference IMO on the improving the look of the figure.

aka.jpg

colj.jpg

really wish i could think of some way to keep the mouth closed other than glue.

anyone know more on the Chap wrist pegs. unique to Chap of other figs use them? i'd rather not go thru the hassle and money to return this because of a lil piece o plastic

Last edited:
I would go for the NECA version. It is more accurate and it looks huge and impressive. It is also cheaper too. I dont have many 18" figures, but the NECA Alien stands great alone in my display and it will look great next to the up coming 18" NECA Predator!

The Hot toys one looks good too, but i am not a huge fan of its inaccuracy and rubber body.

Back