Anime for non Anime People

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I randomly started to watch Delicious in Dungeon on Netflix. Neither of us are really much into anime but the show is pretty goofy and fun.

That came up in my suggestions. I'll check it out.

LoL, yes good natured and no demon volleyballs. It's about a high school volleyball team looking to recapture the glory of its predecessors. On occasion a single game would span a couple of episodes. Not something I thought I could ever get into, but the characters and insight into Japanese high school culture sucked me in.

I've never really gotten into sports animes. I guess I just focus on demons, swords, magic, really anything dark. I should check them out.

I'd go with Blood the last vampire or Akira

Blood is dark. I love it, but dark. Still, it would be a good jumping off point.
Cyber City Oedo 808 is my all time favourite. 3 parts, all on YouTube.

Other than that, Street Fighter 2, Chainsaw Man and One Piece are my go to picks.

I'm a few hundred episodes into One Piece. I'm watching it with my son. I think the common complaint about "When does it get good?" is kind of nonsense, but things do drag on. I dont know how much of it is filler though. I had read Bleach before watching the show, but I think had I just watched the show first the filler would have been a reason to turn it off.
If you have someone specific in mind it might help to get some more info...? You wanna get your kids into it or some buddies of yours? Age? Male, female? What's their favorite live action movie/show? Stuff like that...

Absolutely agree. Most people know about Akira. But Blood the last Vampire is just soooo good as well. One of my all time favorites. Can't beat that atmosphere... (y)

I'm a middle aged man into anime so when discussing it in mixed company and trying to make people see value in it it helps if I don't scream "Berserk!" and have something a bit more friendly to the new comer.
Vampire hunter d is a good one to. And death note

I just got the first three light novels of D. Haven't started them yet. There was talk of a new movie but as we've had two (excellent) movies since 85' I don't see it happening. I tried to get my youngest to watch the first with me but I think the animation quality threw him off.

Death Note. Not an anime guy myself but really enjoyed that series, I like Dragon Ball Z as well.

I've tried to bring up Z, but even non anime people will just start yelling "Aaaaarrrrrghhh". I dont skip episodes, and I dont fast forward through, but man, those arcs could have been a hell of a lot more concise and still been amazing. I started Super but got distracted.

DB used to air at 5am weekdays before school so my father would wake me up when he woke up so I could catch it up till I started falling asleep in class.

I do own more Dragon Balls video games than much anything else. I dont really play a lot of games, but I do love beating people up as Gohan from time to time.

I'm a middle aged man into anime so when discussing it in mixed company and trying to make people see value in it it helps if I don't scream "Berserk!" and have something a bit more friendly to the new comer.

Then I'd go with Psycho Pass. The themes of that show can be the center of some great discussions. Just watch the first episode and you'll know what I mean.
You love dark, you're in for a great ride.

Then I'd go with Psycho Pass. The themes of that show can be the center of some great discussions. Just watch the first episode and you'll know what I mean.
You love dark, you're in for a great ride.
I'm going to start it tonight. It's on Pluto. Found that surprising.

Back