How much packaging do you keep?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lecture:lecture

I did this for my first couple then realized that that was stupid so now I keep everything.

Yeah, I don't really understand why people throw them out. (Unless the cardboard attracts "bugs," but then again so would the color box.) Most don't take up any more room than the color box. If anything, the shipper helps the value of the piece because there are completists who want a piece EXACTLY as it was received from SSC, etc.

I purchaed the HT ex. Godfather from a fellow in Hawaii, he shipped the item in the original SS shipping container, it was nice and sturdy. But it found its way to the recycler. I keep the colour boxes, and nix the rest (shippers).

:lecture:lecture

I did this for my first couple then realized that that was stupid so now I keep everything.

Yeah, I don't really understand why people throw them out. (Unless the cardboard attracts "bugs," but then again so would the color box.) Most don't take up any more room than the color box. If anything, the shipper helps the value of the piece because there are completists who want a piece EXACTLY as it was received from SSC, etc.

Because I can pack the colored boxes together in a bigger box better. In some cases, if you get more than one figure at a time, there is alot of wasted space in the shipper. I've actually gotten figures that are put into two seperate carboard boxes. You have the colored box, a cardboard box, then the shipper. No sense in keeping all of that.

I gotta start using my attic more...

Any tips for storage? Anyone actually have to go out and rent a storage unit?

I rent a climate controlled one for $127 a month. I keep more than just boxes in it though.

Because I can pack the colored boxes together in a bigger box better. In some cases, if you get more than one figure at a time, there is alot of wasted space in the shipper. I've actually gotten figures that are put into two seperate carboard boxes. You have the colored box, a cardboard box, then the shipper. No sense in keeping all of that.

Hmmm, not sure I ever have really had that happen. I get the color box the and shipping box. I put the color box back in the shipping box and case closed. Takes maybe 1/2" more space. Even if you pack the individual shippers in a big box to me doesn't make sense that it is better.

To each their own I guess.

We keep all our boxes. I don't like throwing them away. I do however dislike the space they take up. But you never know if you want to sell one day, or need them for packing. So, yep, keepers.

I recycle what I can, and only keep statue boxes and the odd Hot Toys box. I don't care for storing a bunch of crap I am never going to look at, and I'd never put a figure back in its box for moving, I'd just put it in a ziplock and place it in a large rubbermaid full of other figures. Statues are or course another situation all together since they are so fragile.

As for the concept of keeping a box in case I want to sell the figure later, I don't have a problem selling my loose figures.

As for the concept of keeping a box in case I want to sell the figure later, I don't have a problem selling my loose figures.

Yea that all depends on the collector and the buyer. Unless I was buying the figure for a custom I would never buy a figure or statue without the original art box.

Hmmm, not sure I ever have really had that happen. I get the color box the and shipping box. I put the color box back in the shipping box and case closed. Takes maybe 1/2" more space. Even if you pack the individual shippers in a big box to me doesn't make sense that it is better.

To each their own I guess.

I just received my RAH Kiss figures this way. They were in a bigger box with paper packing all around them. I couldn't see keeping the shipper since they only took up 3/4 of the box.

As for taking up only 1/2" more. When you add that all up on every figure, it comes to quite a bit. Also, putting them in larger boxes let's you stack them higher and more uniformly. Sometimes shippers don't always stack even, especially ones that have been stapled on the edges.

I have no intentions of selling my figures. If I was a flipper, then I would keep the shippers.

Back