How do you generally prefer to pose your MMS Hot Toys figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverStar17

Super Freak
Reaction score
When permanently displaying your Hot Toys figures in your curios and display cases, do you tend to lean more towards dynamic action poses, or museum poses so to speak?

I personally prefer the latter. While dynamic action poses make for awesome pictures, I feel that often subtle action, museum type display poses tend to be the most "powerful". It seems that when you start overthinking the pose is when you can't just settle on one. Plus, I like to think that museum type display poses puts less stress on joints (as opposed to having arms raised high for instance) and runs a lower risk of joint loosening and/or breakage over time.

How do you guys usually find yourselves posing your figures?

When permanently displaying your Hot Toys figures in your curios and display cases, do you tend to lean more towards dynamic action poses, or museum poses so to speak?

I personally prefer the latter. While dynamic action poses make for awesome pictures, I feel that often subtle action, museum type display poses tend to be the most "powerful". It seems that when you start overthinking the pose is when you can't just settle on one. Plus, I like to think that museum type display poses puts less stress on joints (as opposed to having arms raised high for instance) and runs a lower risk of joint loosening and/or breakage over time.

How do you guys usually find yourselves posing your figures?

You're overthinking it. Unless you're posing them to actually place physical pressure on the joints, the stress on them is a rounding error compared to the joint simply holding the arm or a leg on. They're holding together lightweight pieces of plastic, for the most part, they're not going to spontaneously collapse under their own weight any more than a bike chain is going to snap if you hang it on the handlebars overnight.

Of course, I am not talking about those figures with known problems, eg Hellboy, on which the plastic itself is rubbish, and the knees tend to simply fall apart like wet bread regardless of what you've done with them, nor am I talking about rubber bodied figures.

But I do agree with you on the "semi-museum" pose. Often the most effective.

Ah, overcautious would be more like it. I don't necessarily mean just the arm(s) freely raised up; I was referring to more when they are holding something in their hand that may place added stress/weight on joints. Captain America holding his shield or Thor with Mjolnir for instance. My error on not being more specific in that sense.

At roughly 225 bucks a pop, it's just something I take into consideration. Haha.

But yes, I believe that semi-museum poses seem to have the best presence.

'Semi-museum' pose is the most the majority of 1/6 figures can do without looking awkward, the clothing, joints, and stand getting in the way or looking odd.
Facing forward without doing much is how they look best.

Mostly museum poses as I think they draw attention to to themselves even more with rare exceptions to characters like say, the Joker or Spider-Man whom usually have more animated poses as they really look off with static displays.

I don't like weird action poses. I prefer museum poses in most cases, and especially with figures with rubber suits.

Museum poses!
I see and see and see and see on internet poses from other collectors searching my ideal pose

Depends on the fig but I tend to stick with museum pose.

Part of it has to do with my fear of stress on certain fabric/material. But part of it has to do with limited shelf space so I can't pose them into an elaborate pose/diorama scene.

I have some figs behind glass display cases but a lot of mine are in those individual doll acrylic cases that Michael's used to carry. The dimensions are 13" x 5.5" x 5.5" so that really limits how dynamically I can pose the figures. On the bright side, they are completely dust free!

Depends on the fig but I tend to stick with museum pose.

Part of it has to do with my fear of stress on certain fabric/material. But part of it has to do with limited shelf space so I can't pose them into an elaborate pose/diorama scene.

My reasoning for doing semi-museum poses as well.

Plus, I've noticed that the times I have put them in action poses, I'll feel compelled to put them in different one after I've tired of looking at them in that same particular action pose for awhile.

Depends on the figure. Bossk with his snarling head I just had to use a shooting pose, a museum one looked weird. But the stormtroopers are both posed in museum poses, just holding their guns.

It really does depend on the figure, for a man in a suit figure then generally museum works well. But I wouldn't display the Joker in a museum pose, or Jack Sparrow or RoboCop. They've got to retain their character's personality while looking as good as possible from as many angles as possible.

The only way one should pose their figure is all of them lined up, doing the mexican wave.

Back