How could I briefly get caught up with STAR TREK?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Mirakle32

Super Freak
Reaction score
I can honestly say I've NEVER been a Trekkie. As vast as my interests in film and television are (including everything from Universal Monsters, to Star Wars and Indiana Jones, to Bond to Superman and Batman) I've never had much interest in the vast franchise known as STAR TREK.

However, the new movie looks pretty good, so my interest has been piqued.

After hearing a ^^^^ load of positive reviews from Trekkies and non-fans alike, I caught ST II: THE WRATH OF KHAN yesterday for the very first time. Mind you, I've never seen the original film (which I understand is pretty boring and long-winded,) and I've only seen bits and pieces of the sequels (I remember liking the ones where Spock, Kirk and McCoy get drunk around a camp fire, and have to save the whales in the present day.)

Overall, I thought TWOK was a decent sci-fi flick, and as always Ricardo Montalban was extremely likable, chrismatic and all around bad-ass as the villain (though I wish there was an actual fight scene between him and Kirk); but for the most part, I just didn't get it. Oh, I understand Khan is pissed over something from the TV show and wants his vengeance, but alot of the philosophy, jargon and the whole thing involving the Genesis thingy was way over my head (who knew Khan was a Peter Gabriel fan?)

I then caught a few minutes of GENERATIONS and was still pretty confused, but the idea of Patrick Stewart, William Shatner, Malcolm McDowell and Whoopi Goldberg in the same film intrigued me. Still havent watched most of it, but plan to.

What would the hardcore Star Trek fans suggest to a total newbie like myself? I'm not bent on becoming a hardcore Trekkie (I honestly don't need anymore ^^^^ to collect,) just familiar enough to enjoy the franchise, and the upcoming film.

I just go as far as the movies. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - First Contact and to hell with the rest.

...or, since the new movie is a "reboot" of the story, just start there and enjoy the ride, and if you like it, then go back to the previous stuff and pick up from there.

I dunno, I did it with the Godzilla movies just fine.

The Godzilla movies aren't all part of one continuous story the way Trek is so that's a little different.

I would suggest to do like Lonnie says and just enjoy the new movie. It was made for guys like you, there will be plenty of time to catch up after the new movie.

:lecture and it's not technically a reboot, since they're not retelling or re-imagining anything; it's the characters we know and love in the same continuity. :lecture

The Godzilla movies aren't all part of one continuous story the way Trek is so that's a little different.

I would suggest to do like Lonnie says and just enjoy the new movie. It was made for guys like you, there will be plenty of time to catch up after the new movie. :lecture

Yeah, but if the movie sucks, I might not want to, and could miss out on the good Star Trek stuff. :google

definitely watch the original series - there are only 3 seasons, so you could get through them relatively fast. Then watch the movies from the original series - Parts 1-4 and 6. You can skip 5. The Motion Picture is outstanding, but make sure you watch the director's cut - it is FAR more superior to the theatrical version. Parts 2-4 and 6 and one basic continuous arc and play our beautifully.

Like FlyandFlight said, you can't quickly get caught up on a 40-year phenomen, but it's worth it.

Once you get your mind past the cheesy sets and special effects of the original series, you should enjoy the show much more - a lot of deep stuff in there.

I liked all the ST movies one way or another Khan and Voyage Home was the best of the original cast. Skip 5 because Shatner shat all over that one.

I grew up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, so to me this is THE definite Star Trek. Just skip season one, because it's not so good.
Never cared much for the movies.

5 is a terrible flick, but the others are pretty good. I haven't seen the directors cut of the first movie... so I guess I need to get on that. I think Wrath of Kahn is an excellent flick, and not jut for a Trek movie :lol

I would also suggest watching some of the Original Series. You should be able to get them from Netflix... although focus on the 1st and 2nd season, season 3 was a lot more hit and miss IMO.

I thought Next Generation was a good show as well... but never really liked the movies that followed.

One of the reasons why I thought Part V was weak is that the villain is Spock's brother. It had a pretty weak story, but other than that the rest of the films we pretty good. Not a big fan of Part III or Generations.

If you are going to limit yourself to just the films than, IMO, Part II, Part IV, Part VI and First Contact are the best with Insurrection bringing up the rear. If you are a fan of 2001:A Space Odyssey than check out the first Trek film, it is epic. Harlan Ellison even helped out as an adviser.

If you have an XBox 360 and have Netflix you can stream the first season to you XBox, and it's in HD. First episodes I would watch are the Menagerie parts 1 and 2 and Arena. Were No Man Has Gone Before would also be a good place to start.

Back