Hot Toys- TRON: Legacy: 1/6th scale Kevin Flynn Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys should look up Olivia Wilde's original last name. I can see why she wanted to change it.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="https://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1948233&fullscreen=1" width="640" height="360" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" quality="best" value="https://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1948233&fullscreen=1"/><embed src="https://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1948233&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="360" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><div style="padding:5px 0; text-align:center; width:640px;">See more <a href="https://www.collegehumor.com/videos">funny videos</a> and <a href="https://www.collegehumor.com/pictures">funny pictures</a> at <a href="https://www.collegehumor.com/">CollegeHumor</a>.</div>

I have a lot of problems with this figure. First, let me say that I have not seen the original Tron movie, but I saw Legacy and I absolutely adored it. I have never met someone who loved it as much as I do so you can imagine I am pretty excited to see figures from the movie.

For starters, I feel like this doesn't represent Flynn very well and it is for a number of reasons. Now obviously people have talked a lot about the hair and facial hair not being accurate to the character. I agree, but I think it doesn't stop there. The entire facial expression isn't accurate to the character. The stare/angered look is way too forced. Look how defined they make the stress marks where the eyebrows are. I feel like they've been watching too much Iron Man because it doesn't really flow well with the more calm character we saw in Tron Legacy. Also, the expression is dull in general. My biggest problem with Hot Toys in comparison to companies like Medicom is that Hot Toys tend to be very high quality, but have horribly dull facial expressions (though this obviously varies greatly and isn't always true) that just seem so lifeless. When I think of the Flynn from the movie, I think of the RADICAL DUDE guy with that smile on his face or I think of the very calm guy meditating with his eyes closed. If they want him serious, then give him a light intimidating stare, but I feel like this one is done in poor taste. He should come with more than one face sculpt especially considering how simple of a release he is and yet how expensive he still is.

It's really hard to quite say what's wrong with the face sculpt. I feel like Flynn had a unique style to him (and I say Flynn because we are specifically talking about how the actor looked in the movie with the make up and style they gave him) with some distinct features that just are not captured here.

Also the outfit itself. Okay so they can do mind-blowing figures like Iron Man which seem to be ten years ahead of its time, but they can't do a basic lighting effect in the inside of his black robe? I don't expect the thing to work as a flashlight, but at the very least it should have a light reflecting or glow-in-the-dark strip like fabric or material that runs down the inside of the coat. This isn't rocket science. It isn't complex like Iron Man's armor. It's just a black coat that glows. You would think they could handle something like this especially if they want to charge $150.

I know this sounds harsh, but I think you need to be harsh with things like this because they pride themselves on two things: charging a lot because it is worth a lot and having complete and total accuracy. This is expensive and yet it isn't accurate enough. Even if they struggle with the face sculpt, don't struggle with the outfit. As it stands, you could probably find a custom of the outfit on par or better. It's just a robe. Why didn't they take it to the next level?

And I know it sounds like I might be expecting to much from them, but this isn't some random unlicensed company. This is Hot Toys, the leading makers of 1/6th scale figures. I am very proud of their works and I want to continue to be proud of them, but they have to do their part in continuing to create those amazing works.

I'm both scared and excited for a potential Quorra because she was just beautiful in the movie and I don't want her to end up with a lifeless expression like Jill or the girl from Blade 3 or Black Widow in Iron Man 2. I'd still buy it though >_> Same with Clu and Tron and such. I loved this movie so much.

But seriously if they added a separate head that has him meditating and his black robe had the light up feature then I'd shut up. Hell, just the meditating face would help since that's how I'd pose him and he really should have two heads if they are going to give you two outfits like that. I mean this is from Tron of all things. It's the movie with all the crazy CG and lights and all sorts of awesome things. His robe glowing and the magical hood are what remind you that this guy is in the Tron world, but this figure just looks like someone at a Star Wars convention.

I used to look at the people here funny because of how overly critical they are on things, but look at what I've become lol. Crazy world we live in.

Last edited:
I actually would think that if they added any kind of lighting inside the rope then it won't look natural especially if you pose him with the hood down which is the case in the movie most of the time. I agree the scene where he enters the room with the lit rope was awesome but I would not want to hide his face with the hood in my display as it would be such a waste. As for the expression I am not going to go through the movie until I get the BR but do you want a neutral blank or an emotional expression? I do hope HT improves the HS and maybe even throw another one in but sorry I rather not have a lit rope and sacrifice a natural hanging look and I doubt they would provide three sets of clothing

:borg:

Have you guys researched EL wire lighting? I'm pretty excited for potential 1/6 application. Somebody over in the marvel forum already made whiplash's electric whips light up in random flickering effect. Very cool

Well like others have mentioned it doesn't even have to be a true light up feature. Just something that is reflected or glows in the dark would be better than absolutely nothing. The worst they can do is not even try to implement something. How else are they going to learn if they don't even attempt things?

Actually I have seen someone made a rope with EL wire already month or so ago in preparation of this figure but can't remember which forum now :p looks good too

:borg:

Well we got the prototype done and the robe itself needs a few tweaks here and there but came out pretty good. However the “white” El wire I ordered is very blue in tint and a little disappointing in the glow area as well, the pictures make it look like it’s glowing pretty good but in fact isn’t that bright at all.

I did come across an alternative light source a few days ago that was my back up plan and I think it’s going to work out better so I’ll keep you posted.

flynnhood.jpg

flynnhood02.jpg

flynnhood03.jpg

OK dumbass me the robe I was talking about was made by a member here!! :slap

I was just watching Legacy on my mac, and noticed the amount of detail in that black suit/robe. The inner garment is like silk.
Very cool.

screen-capture-1-3.png

screen-capture-12.png

Last edited:
Too bad the Hot Toys thing is just a generic black robe though :( It's a really cool outfit in the movie.

So do you think we'll get anymore figures from this line or just Kevin & Sam, hope there is still more to come.

So do you think we'll get anymore figures from this line or just Kevin & Sam, hope there is still more to come.

I want a Quorra so bad followed by a Clu, but I am somewhat doubtful that we are going to get any more figures in this lineup. :(

At one point they already had the normal Sam planned as well as Clu, but I still wouldn't be surprised if this becomes another Watchmen.

Really getting tired of Hot Toys half-assing their lines. Expendables a.k.a. One-man Army now Tron a.k.a. The Flynns'. Where's my f'n Clu and Rinzler?

Well, considering they announced the Avatar license over a year ago and still have yet to show anything--and they will be coming out with Avatar stuff definitely--

I would expect that it's entirely possible that they're still working on more figures in this line.

Their business has grown a lot and they have tons of stuff going on so it's understandable that some things take longer.

Back