Hot Toys Tim Burton Batmobile

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Batmissle thing would be feasible for HT... the Tumbler and Batpod on the other-hand would be much more complicated to do.

The thing is, neither a Batmobile-to-Batmissle or Tumbler-to-Batpod is feasible in while maintaining anything near HT's acceptable level of detail /accuracy. Even the filmmakers of Batman Returns and The Dark Knight knew this. It's all special effects. The Batmobile to Batmissile scene was achieved using a blow-apart model, that we never clearly see in "Batmobile" mode because it would have seams that the Batmobile didn't. The entire sequence in TDK where the damaged Tumbler's panels shift until the Batpod springs out is CGI.

If I'm honest I liked the bat pod but hated that it sprung from the tumbler.
Batmissle just sucked. Hard.

There is a guy on rpf.com who worked on painting the Batmobiles for Hot Wheels and they did intense amount of research and needed it to be approved by Warner Bros. he wrote:

"For the paint master at Hot Wheels I used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel DE 1634 Low Gloss Black. Nothing fancy we just shot it right out of the spray can. Remember though that China then reformulated this color for the plastic and die cast parts. We instructed the factory to wipe over the complete cars with a slightly abrassive rag to shine up just the edges a bit. The real prop had this from constant wiping on the set. From the photos that WB gave us it looked like they almost wiped some sort of polish/silicone on the body panels to play around with the reflections. This is why it looks kind of patchy in certain shots in th film.

Also, WB approved the color for the Batman Returns batmobile around the same time (we were going to release both). That color was also a Dupli-Color Engine Enamel. DE 1635 Ford Semi Gloss Black. It has a bit more sheen but is far from straight gloss. No clear or satin coats for either blacks. You should be able to find these at Pepboys, Autozone, etc.

When we documented all of the Batmobiles at the archives we found that all were repainted. None had the original 1989 paint finish. The hero car was repainted with that terrible Onstar grey but a couple of others (including the interior buck) had that low gloss Returns black finish. Almost all of the info we were given by WB archives was incorrect. Most of my pics are on chicks love the car.

If you want an accurate 1989 finish however you need to add some metallics to the black. As I've mentioned adding colors can be tricky but adding a bit of gunmetal pearl works awesome. We short-cutted on this detail a bit in Hot Wheels."

He wrote more on the rpf.com site about how it should almost appear as a Satin or Matte finish, but it was the lighting and them wiping certain parts on set caused some spots of the car to appear shiny. I think the HT version is nicely done. I rather have it more matte than shiny.

Interesting. And I wholeheartedly agree with that last paragraph. HT's looks really well done and overall I prefer it to lean more towards a matte finish than a shiny one.

Not this argument again..it's all wrong, I want it, but its not accurate... sigh.. here you go...

batmobile1.jpg

PromoPhoto.jpg

aHTBatmobile3.jpg

aHTBatmobile.jpg

I see what you are saying, the HT prototype DOES appear less glossy than the actual car in those screenshots, but the fact is the 1989 version was relatively less glossy appearing on film than the Batman Returns car. As morphosis' post shows, it was a complicated color to pin down in the Hot Wheels 1/18 model.

I was re-watching scenes from Batman Returns this weekend, and while it is definitely glossier than the 1989 one, it's not as shiny as the CM version. So on the matte to glossy spectrum, this is how I would rate the collectible models and actual movie props:

<<MORE MATTE...Hot Toys Prototype...1/18 Hot Wheels 1989 Batmobile (first release)...1989 actual car...1992 actual car(s)...CM Model...MORE GLOSSY/SHINY>>

It definitely needs a metallic finish similar to what they put on their Mark III (Battle-Damaged) IV and VI Iron Man figures. It shouldn't be so reflective that you can see yourself in it, but it should appear metallic. Without that, this thing isn't going to look as expensive as it's likely to be.

It definitely needs a metallic finish similar to what they put on their Mark III (Battle-Damaged) IV and VI Iron Man figures. It shouldn't be so reflective that you can see yourself in it, but it should appear metallic. Without that, this thing isn't going to look as expensive as it's likely to be.
:goodpost:

I agree 100%. I'm going to start experimenting with some metallic / dark gray spraypaints on some large pieces of plastic to see how it looks, in case I don't like the final look of the Batmobile's finish when I order it.

:goodpost:

I agree 100%. I'm going to start experimenting with some metallic / dark gray spraypaints on some large pieces of plastic to see how it looks, in case I don't like the final look of the Batmobile's finish when I order it.

Quite unnecessary actually.

Just spray on some krylon gloss clear coat and you'll be able to replicate a very convincing automotive paint finish.

BTW the Batmissile was a ____ing awful idea...

It nearly fell on it's side when turning. It seemed to bounce (model) causing it to nearly fall. It kind of killed the realism at that moment. Though it was really cool the view from above when it went flying down the road before the next scene.

Reminds me of those weird vehicles they use in the desert or where it was miles and miles of hard flat areas to break speed records. Only useful for straight line speed.

I take it there's no word of what lighting etc this beast will have?

I see what you are saying, the HT prototype DOES appear less glossy than the actual car in those screenshots, but the fact is the 1989 version was relatively less glossy appearing on film than the Batman Returns car. As morphosis' post shows, it was a complicated color to pin down in the Hot Wheels 1/18 model.

I was re-watching scenes from Batman Returns this weekend, and while it is definitely glossier than the 1989 one, it's not as shiny as the CM version. So on the matte to glossy spectrum, this is how I would rate the collectible models and actual movie props:

<<MORE MATTE...Hot Toys Prototype...1/18 Hot Wheels 1989 Batmobile (first release)...1989 actual car...1992 actual car(s)...CM Model...MORE GLOSSY/SHINY>>

Yep, I think people are being confused by the intensive stage lighting in those shots. They didn't want it all shiny, they wanted it like a shadow in the night. If you look at the Batman 89 DVD SF of the Batmobile being built and test driven, it had a satin matte finish.

Gloss?

DO NOT WANT.

Seriously I hope they don't gloss the hell out of this thing. I'd sooner have a flat, black, plastic look than a shiny high gloss Batmobile.

Matte (satin matte would be even better) or GTFO.

Gloss?

DO NOT WANT.

Seriously I hope they don't gloss the hell out of this thing. I'd sooner have a flat, black, plastic look than a shiny high gloss Batmobile.

Matte (satin matte would be even better) or GTFO.

:exactly::lecture

I've helping a good friend build a 1:1 Furst/Burton Batmobile and it drives us crazy to see other people making them and painting them gloss black. Like the ones at Six Flags. Awful. :monkey4

So...

I was trying to stay out of this thread...

...but I'm starting to entertain thoughts of getting this.

Two things will help me decide:

1) How much will it cost?
2) How much does it weigh?

I imagine both of these have been discussed (and I'm sure #1 has been discussed to death) but a quick reply would be most appreciated. :pray:

[Edit] Also, what are the dimensions?

Last edited:
I think too many of you knuckleheads have Penguin's glossy kiddie Batmobile ingrained in your heads. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back