Hot Toys Tim Burton Batmobile

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pitu did a great job with this vid..add lights and pop up guns and HT can chargewhat ever they like and i'll still buy it!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hstX6MwAc6s"]Hot Toys Tim Burton Batmobile SDCC '11 - YouTube[/ame]

There's no way I'd try spraying anything on such an expensive collectible.

Well, if the lack of gloss is really bothering some people, then spraying a gloss clear coat would be a much easier (and safer) option than being so ambitious and attempting to sand paper, prime and spray paint in thin layers and run the risk of having an orange peel paint job.

I am very certain hot toys wont be giving us any special paint job of the quality of the toynami bat mobile. It will either be the matte plastic like the prototype or a gloss shiny plastic.

Well, if the lack of gloss is really bothering some people, then spraying a gloss clear coat would be a much easier (and safer) option than being so ambitious and attempting to sand paper, prime and spray paint in thin layers and run the risk of having an orange peel paint job.

I am very certain hot toys wont be giving us any special paint job of the quality of the toynami bat mobile. It will either be the matte plastic like the prototype or a gloss shiny plastic.

Yeah, I won't be afraid to modify mine with a very light coat if I think it'll be necessary to bring up the gloss to the low level gloss of the 1989 car. It seems some people think that I'm trying to shine the hell out of it. No, the 1989 car doesn't appear high gloss in the film, but it's not as flat as the HT proto either. But that is a proto after all, which is why I am waiting to see how the final version looks to me in hand before I decide whether to modify it to try to match the onscreen level of gloss.

There is no denying the quality of the paint job on the toynami version. The problem is it's gloss level is too high....even if it supposed to be the Batman Returns version. For those brave and skilled enough to attempt a paint finish mod on an expensive collectible, I think it will be much easier to bring the HT gloss level up if necessary, than to bring the Toynami gloss level down.

So...

I was trying to stay out of this thread...

...but I'm starting to entertain thoughts of getting this.

Two things will help me decide:

1) How much will it cost?
2) How much does it weigh?

I imagine both of these have been discussed (and I'm sure #1 has been discussed to death) but a quick reply would be most appreciated. :pray:

[Edit] Also, what are the dimensions?

1) There's been lots of speculation on the price, but nothing "official" yet straight from HT.

2) Weight not released yet either, I imagine it will be around the Tumbler's weight.

3) Exact dimensions haven't been released yet either, but you can get sense of it's size from pitu's video, and one of the shots with the cell phone next to it.

Both matte & low gloss are correct. The batmobile was lit to look more matte in the film to fit in with the goth deco of the film. But when seen on display or in high def pics the batmobile clearly has a gloss finish to it. So its just a matter of chooseing which "reality" you want....film or real life display.

Doesn't matter to me. This car is f'n awesome. One of my holy grails. Just curious to see the price.

Both matte & low gloss are correct. The batmobile was lit to look more matte in the film to fit in with the goth deco of the film. But when seen on display or in high def pics the batmobile clearly has a gloss finish to it.

No it doesn't. I've seen the main screen-used '89 Batmobile on the Warner Bros. lot. It's definitely matte to the naked eye and in person.

The RETURNS car was slightly more glossy and had several other subtle differences. The only official versions that have a true gloss finish are the exhibition cars used for touring auto shows and at Six Flags parks.

No it doesn't. I've seen the main screen-used '89 Batmobile on the Warner Bros. lot. It's definitely matte to the naked eye and in person.

The RETURNS car was slightly more glossy and had several other subtle differences. The only official versions that have a true gloss finish are the exhibition cars used for touring auto shows and at Six Flags parks.

Yupp I've seen it too :exactly::lecture

When did you see it? If you saw it at the time of filming, then you would know. If you saw it years after, it could have been repainted a different color.

Umm, yeah. That's pretty much what I just said. What's shot on screen is matte. And what's put on display.....gloss. nice to know we agree. :wink1:

Umm, yeah. That's pretty much what I just said. What's shot on screen is matte. And what's put on display.....gloss. nice to know we agree. :wink1:

But the screen used car that's on display at WB is not gloss. That's my point. The only ones that are gloss are replicas that weren't used in the films at all. It seems as if they're coated that way to withstand the weather at the theme parks and be easier to clean/maintain.

I've seen it too and it has a satin finish. Not matte.
Not gloss but a slight gunmetal sheen. Not matte black.

The Returns version is a different matter, thats glossier.

By the way this publicity shot is a direct frame from the movie.
That car is not matte.

PromoPhoto.jpg

By the way this publicity shot is a direct frame from the movie.
That car is not matte.

PromoPhoto.jpg

Its a gloss silver metallic WITHOUT clear coat. Most cars today have clear coat, which makes them look super shiny. If this had a clear coat, it would be much shinier, but even without a clear coat, it is gloss. The metallic particles in the paint simulates a matte appearance.

I think we just have different interpretations of "matte" and "gloss". :lol

I'm willing to compromise on "satin", because that surely isn't gloss, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back