Hot Toys - The Dark Knight - 1/6th BATMAN (New Costume)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. As great as they look, the Power Loader's taught me a lesson on buying things like that. For me, there's an allure with the "ooh, ahhhh" factor when HT accomplishes these vehicle pieces, and as a photographer, especially with the Batpod, I see a lot of room for fun. However, they're quite expensive, and over time I know when I'm done with my photos and just have a shelf warming vehicle, I'm going to wish I had the money back from them for something else, so I'm just bypassing that. I collect like a half dozen different properties and they're all fairly strong with products, so I stick with pieces that give me the most personal value for my investment, which means photo fun up front, and a piece I enjoy looking at down the road, most figures and statues, probably won't delve into vehicles unless it's a design I really care for. If Hot Toys ever makes a Batman 1989 Batmobile, that I will get, it's one of my all time favorite TV/Movie vehicle designs. For tumberl and Batpod, Hot Wheels and Mattel will do for me.

Yeah thats almost the exact same reason I cancelled both the Tumbler and Batpod weeks ago. Just doesn't make any sense and having a little foresight can go a long way.

I collect like a half dozen different properties and they're all fairly strong with products, so I stick with pieces that give me the most personal value for my investment, which means photo fun up front, and a piece I enjoy looking at down the road, most figures and statues, probably won't delve into vehicles unless it's a design I really care for.

Thats exactly how I feel about this stuff.

Oh and if hot toys got the 89 batman license I would buy probably everything.
With all the batman craze do you think any major company will go back to the older movies ?.

I'm thinking of canceling the vehicles, but I'm just not sure. As you said, one the prices. I'm just short of £700 for both Tumbler and Batpod. Thats like $1,286 at todays rate.

The other, the detail looks so damn impressive. I seem to have the worst of two evils.

if hot toys did get the 89 batman it would cost me ALOT.
nicholsonjoker.jpg

I'm thinking of canceling the vehicles, but I'm just not sure. As you said, one the prices. I'm just short of £700 for both Tumbler and Batpod. Thats like $1,286 at todays rate.

The other, the detail looks so damn impressive. I seem to have the worst of two evils.

I cancelled my Tumbler because I didn't love the design that much to shell out $500. Plus, its too big and it would only attract dust. I am keeping the Bat pod because I personally love how it looks with Batman one it so i kept that one. I think $500 is going overboard with my collecting.

Yeah.. because I think we've all seen great looking Prototypes that turn out to be crap when the actual product is released.

PROTOTYPE
matrixcollectibles_2019_57489111

ACTUAL PRODUCT
review_medicombats_9.jpg

Nice try, but the top pic is a new version of Medicom's BB figure, the bottom pic is their first attempt.

...Both are wildly inaccurate.

I like the tumbler, but seriously---it's so ridiculously large I can't imagine where anyone would put it, except make a coffee table display out of it.

If it were Serenity though, I don't think I could resist (not that they're related but still).

I cancelled my Tumbler because I didn't love the design that much to shell out $500. Plus, its too big and it would only attract dust. I am keeping the Bat pod because I personally love how it looks with Batman one it so i kept that one. I think $500 is going overboard with my collecting.
I feel the same way you do. I love the Batpod and have wanted it from day one but the Tumbler is just too expensive and really doesn't interest me that much.

Believe me, resisting the Pod is very hard for me, Tumbler not so much because I don't even see many good photos opportunities with it, and truly, I think quite a few folks will look at the Tumbler after a year or so and the space it takes up and feel like the magic's lost and wish they hand't bought it and take a big loss if they can sell it off.

However, the Pod is sooooo tempting for me. Everytime I see pictures like this I cry inside, as a collectibles photographer I know what I could do with this figure and the Pod, but I'm just not sure how I'd feel having it once I was done.

tdk2_2_2.jpg

If Mattel would just put out the Target Ex. Pod for the MM Batman figure, I'd be calmed cuz I could get some Batpod shots, but the longer I wait to do some, the more tempting the HT one gets.

Mattel has never been known for quality sadly. I know from collecting F1, their stuff always feels like toys than collector items.

Wait I posted the wrong pic. My Bad.. here:

ACTUAL PRODUCT
review_medicombats_9.jpg

You got the promo pic right, but you picked one of the worst photos I've seen of the figure. The Medicom Batman looks bad in that pic mainly because it's a very bad photo from Michael Crawford (from a review which the shot was taken from). I mean, just look at how he posed him, hand on the belt and all.

These photos show the potential of how good the figure can look:

Picture105.jpg

front.jpg

while it's not the best 1/6 BB figure out there, it's still not the piece of crap people think it is.

Last edited:
Mattel has never been known for quality sadly. I know from collecting F1, their stuff always feels like toys than collector items.

Well agreed, I have 3 MM Batman figures, it's not about having a collectible item persay, just having a decent Pod in my collection and having fun taking some photos of the bike. HT would be much better, but costlier and take up more space. Like I said, owning no Pod, HT grows more and more tempting.

You got the promo pic right, but you picked one of the worst photos I've seen of the figure. The Medicom Batman looks bad in that pic mainly because it's a very bad photo from Michael Crawford (from a review which the shot was taken from). I mean, just look at how he posed him, hand on the belt and all.

These photos show the potential of how good the figure can look:

while it's not the best 1/6 BB figure out there, it's still not the piece of crap people think it is.

That figure is heavily modified.

hey one of those are my awesome pictures!! but I didn't do anything to the head.. the figure looks like that.. the only thing I did was beef him up. In the end it was a good figure, really dated though.

Hate to even think about a repaint, but I wonder if painting the mesh under the armor would help make the armor "pop" out a little more. That seems to me the biggest difference in HT and Medicom. Medicoms armor is more defined while the HT seems to be all the same color. I wonder if painting it though would hurt the rubber? I'd probably leave mine as is just a thought.

My guess is that the mesh will show up much more clearly in person. It's not popping in photos but I'm guessing it's there. I know I keep bringing it up, but when I saw the old proto, I was amazed at the detail. I was staring at the gloves forever. There is mesh detail all over the hand and the knuckles were perfectly done. That was just a small sample but the whole figure had that detail.

That being said, I imagine the customizers will be able to make it even better.

Cannot wait for in-hand pictures from Hong Kong and to get the figure myself. Cannot wait for MaulFan to get his and really go to town!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back