Hot Toys - Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 1/6th scale Captain Rex Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I finally got onboard with the clone troopers my fav look are:

1. Cody
2. Airborne
3. Bly
4. Deviss
5. Rex

Cool thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could make a custom Bly pretty easy no? Isn't he just Rex with yellow instead of blue? Even h is head sculpt is the same just brown hair. I mean I can't paint to save my life.

Doubt they are going to do Deviss when he hasn't actually appeared in anything except a Visual Dictionary and a fact book.

Personally, I'd much rather Wolffe and Fox.

Count me as another who's glad to see a more realistic interpretation. I've never been a terribly big TCW fan, but have always liked Ahsoka and would be much more tempted to get a more realistic and detailed version that would fit in with my other SW figures.

Doubt they are going to do Deviss when he hasn't actually appeared in anything except a Visual Dictionary and a fact book.

I had never heard of Deviss until DiF?bio mentioned him and as soon as I saw him I put him on my top five he looks awesome DiFabio has great taste lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deviss is basically Rex in red by the look.

If you could paint, maybe wouldn't be so hard to do a custom.

I'm excited for this, missed out on Sideshow's. Definitely in for one.

It seems like they're having a little trouble translating animated hair onto a realistic head though. The hair looks a bit strange with such a hard ridge between skin and buzz cut. Sure in animation it's a line, but in reality such a short cut wouldn't have that distinct edge plane. It's almost just a texture on the skin at that point. (In fact in the animation it IS a texture on his skin) The edges of the hair should be closer to the skin, more of a texture change than a plane change. Softer sculpt edges.
I also think the hairline looks a bit high and round. It should probably be closer to Temuera Morrison's hairline as seen in 2009's Couples Retreat for example. Sharper temples, slightly less forehead.

ldippUd.jpg

At least that's how I see it, but maybe you don't agree.

(And considering recent news, I expect that if HT is going to make a realistic Ahsoka, they'll hold off until the end of the year.)

He looks like Bly, but red to me. Rex doesn't have the bandloier on his right shoulder.

deviss.jpg

Just compared this to the SS Version and the HT just looks so much better. The helmet on the SS figure just looks off.

Whilst the HT isn't 1:1 with the animated version, I still think it looks much more accurate to the show than the SS. If I had bought the SS figure way back when, it'd definitely be getting sold now.

View attachment 484881
I don't know, I was comparing them before too and I actually think I like the look of the Sideshow one a little more, the visor seems tighter. Two slightly different interprerations of the animated style. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the Hasbro Black Series Rex.

Black-Series-Capt-Rex-Hascon-29.jpg

I don't know, I was comparing them before too and I actually think I like the look of the Sideshow one a little more, the visor seems tighter. Two slightly different interprerations of the animated style. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the Hasbro Black Series Rex.

Each to their own but HT version is vastly superior in my opinion. Sideshow and Black Series helmet looks fat.

If they're getting into bikes, Neo wouldn't be bad with his BARC troopers.

Gree and the camo scout troopers also look pretty cool. Gree would also fit well with HT PT Yoda.

biker_advanced_recon_commando.jpg

maxresdefault-17.jpg

Dz6krHbU0AAKZxE.jpg

I'm kind of ashamed to admit that until recently, I had never noticed that Rex's helmet was his phase 1 helmet modified with phase 2 parts welded on. I always noticed the weld marks, but figured they were atheistic because I didn't think their helmets were made out of a weldable material and I had not noticed the difference in visor. :slap

The sideshow helmet is fatter, because it is attempting to accurately reflect the amalgamation of phase 1 and 2 helmets. That is what Rex's helmet is. The sideshow looks spot on in achieving this.

The new hot toys helmet does not manage this, instead going for a strange mix of animated proportions in a realistic style. Odd choice ticking neither box.

The sideshow is more successful at representing realistic Rex armour for me. Not sure why anyone is bashing the sideshow Phase 2 rex, it's great. This really doesn't look a whole lot different.

Extra cost over Cody likely has to do with the fact that Rex is coming with an extra helmet. I'm just waiting for my local retailer to pop him up pre-order and i'll snag him right away. I have been searching for a SSC Rex Phase II for a REASONABLE price for quite some time and all i get are people asking me for ebay prices which is ridiculous. SSC Rex's value has just gone to regular. At this point if someone wanted to sell him to me i would offer $200 USD which is more than fair considering the superior Hot Hoys version is right around the corner.

I'm aware that Rex's helmet is a mix between the Phase 1 & 2.
Not "bashing" it, just stating my opinion. I don't care if SS is more accurate, it simply just doesn't look as good to me.

This looks fantastic. Now I need to circle back and get Cody at some point. I prefer the realistic vs. animated look but agree with those who think HT should have added an animated portrait (at least as an exclusive). Seems a lost opportunity, but maybe a third party will produce. I’m still gonna hold onto all the Sideshow clone troopers, however looks like HT repaints may finally be coming.

I imagine HT will produce both a Clone Wars and a Mandolorian Ashoka.

Edit: just POed Cody. And so it begins.

Last edited:
I'm aware that Rex's helmet is a mix between the Phase 1 & 2.
Not "bashing" it, just stating my opinion. I don't care if SS is more accurate, it simply just doesn't look as good to me.

Yes, but ironically, what you are preferring about the hot toys one is that they have aimed for animated proportions. Think how great an animated figure would have looked.

Can anyone clear up for me this repeated comment in this thread concerning not being able to mix realistic and animated figures? Are you all setting up panoramic dioramas or something?

I've got Jack Burton standing next to Predator standing next to Optimus Prime. The world has not ended.

Also, why do people keep saying "dont understand why you wanted an animated style". I'm a long standing Clone Wars fan, why is it difficult for people to understand that maybe Clone Wars fans actually wanted Clone Wars figures. You can surely understand why they would be disappointed? It's like being a huge John Wick fan and when the figure is previewed it's in an animated style, you can imagine people would be disappointed?

This doesn't look like the Clone Wars. Perhaps they shouldn't have advertised it as such?

Finally, lot of speculation about all of the clone wars figures that they are going to make. There will be a handful at best, Hot Toys has far more lucrative licenses to pursue, i don't imagine that they are about to throw the kind of effort sideshow did into a Clone Wars line. It will be forgotten about in 6 months.

Anyway, really nice looking figure. Shame about the line.

Back