Hot toys Snowspeeder Pilot Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I?m really not worried about it. Worst case scenario it does suck and I don?t buy it, but I doubt they?re gonna drop the ball on it; there?s not a lot to fix.

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It?s primarily the jacket. Everything else I have confidence will look good. But the jacket and vest will most likely not beat the SSC versions - since they?re perfect.

It?s primarily the jacket. Everything else I have confidence will look good. But the jacket and vest will most likely not beat the SSC versions - since they?re perfect.

There is no reason why it shouldn?t at the very least equal SS jacket/vest with this much time between them.

How does the SS figure look once its on the properly scaled body?

Sideshow must keep confusing Luke with Han, as they did with their Hoth figures. The Snowpeeder Luke body was so tall I was able to use it for ARToys' Leon the Professional.

I put Luke onto a Disney Krennic body. In my notes I've recorded that I'd prised off part of the ankles to reduce the height. The Sideshow sculpt plugs directly onto the Krennic neck peg.

As long as you keep his visor down he looks really good. The visor transforms his eyes, as the sculpt would be unusable on its own. (It's the same with the X-Wing Luke). He looks a lot better than the HT looks at the moment in that video.

EDIT:

I just Googled Kuat Krennic for the Sideshow Snowspeeder Luke thread, and found my original photos and comments from 9th June 2017:

Received him this morning, and I think he looks great.

The un-helmeted head is just plain scary viewed from the front. There's something really off with the eyes. In profile from either side the sculpt looks fine, but as soon as you start to turn it the weirdness returns.

Always planned to have the helmeted sculpt on anyway.

The only problem is the height. Some of that comes from the length of the neck, and the height it's intended to sit at on the joint in the body.

So, once again, it's the Disney Krennic body to the rescue. It's about the same size as the Sideshow body, but it allows for the neck to sit lower on the peg. And I can remove half of the ankle pegs without having to break the legs on the Sideshow body.

The ankle cup halves that remain attached to the legs will just sit down into the boot recesses.

34810245600_4a36555148_o.jpg

I didn't take a before photo.

It took ages getting him back together again.

The height is now 12" to the top of the crest on the helmet, which should be correct as a 1/6 Mark Hamill would be 11.5" tall in his socks.

I prised these pieces off each of the Krennic body's ankle pegs:

It was a non-destructive method of reducing height, leaving the top part of the ankle peg attached to the leg so that it could sit in the Sideshow boot.

I put the Sideshow neck onto the Krennic body. As it sits flush with the body it reduces height as compared to the fitting on the Sideshow body.

34388953443_6fff1b249f_o.jpg

Sideshow jacker is clearly better. Even achieves the slight colour difference.

But Sideshow sculpt way better. I wonder if they'll make it able to be posed without helmet ?

Weathering is also nice on the HT helmet.

I'm surprised so many of you (who have been here a while) never got the SS X-Wing Luke. He was up for what seemed like forever. I'm still in the process of moving, but he stands with R2 opposite the Tie Fighter Pilot and his black droid.

It would be relatively common sense that they would also do an X-Wing Luke as well if they are making chest box and helmet moulds etc. Order enough orange material and they could do an X-Wing Poe too ! I'd almost feel some nostalgia at that ! :lol

Were Snowspeeder Lukes gloves that white ? There seems a huge difference between SS grey and HT white.

[...] I wonder if they'll make it able to be posed without helmet ?

I would say yes, why not, look at ANH Luke ... but chances are very high I'd just display him with the helmet on anyway.

It would be relatively common sense that they would also do an X-Wing Luke as well if they are making chest box and helmet moulds etc.

While this is not a company known for logic or common sense, they are known for parts re-use so chances seem ... 50/50?

Were Snowspeeder Lukes gloves that white ? There seems a huge difference between SS grey and HT white.

The SSC in general seems more muted and weathered, which may be more screen accurate, but there's a crispness to the HT that I like. Not sure how much it changes scene to scene for the gloves but I'm pretty sure they were gray.

I held out for this long I can hold out a little longer. This will be the pinnacle of my Luke collection. Needs a bit more improvements but it is a prototype so many things can happen between now and release. I?ll wait to pass judgement till we see final product. Either way it will be cheaper than buying a sideshow Pilot now.

I’ve really never understood the love that some have for the Sideshow figure. It’s a good figure by their standards. It’s not mind blowingly amazing and untouchable the way some people make it out. I’ll likely get the Hot Toys version that won’t have the oven mitt gloves and a crappy Sideshow body.

I’ve really never understood the love that some have for the Sideshow figure. It’s a good figure by their standards. It’s not mind blowingly amazing and untouchable the way some people make it out. I’ll likely get the Hot Toys version that won’t have the oven mitt gloves and a crappy Sideshow body.

If they convince themselves it's better then they can sleep easier at night by passing on this.

I'll probably buy the HT as well. Unless it looks like a complete dog's dinner.

From the photo Marine Boy posted, HT have the gloves closer in colour to actual. Sideshow's are very grey.

attachment.php

I?ve really never understood the love that some have for the Sideshow figure. It?s a good figure by their standards. It?s not mind blowingly amazing and untouchable the way some people make it out. I?ll likely get the Hot Toys version that won?t have the oven mitt gloves and a crappy Sideshow body.

It's an excellent figure taken as a whole and the way it slots into your display. The paint is bad, but the helmeted likeness is good sculpt-wise. The jacket really sells it and it's kind of the defining feature.

The body is poor relative to a TT, and too tall, the gauntlets are bulkier than they should be, the boots are cheap-looking upon close inspection, the helmet is a better effort than their X-Wing release but also suffers on close inspection. This is coming from a guy who actually bought it, overpriced though it was, even upon initial release. It can stand beside Hot Toys figures and not look out of place, but it doesn't withstand close scrutiny, IMO.

HT figures as a general rule just have more polish and tighter execution -- yes, with notable exceptions and other issues peppered throughout -- but broadly speaking they're always better.

Just my opinion based on my preferences for things like paint finish and overall pop, I wouldn't try to change anyone's mind, I just know what I like.

Not too worried this won't be better. Just glad its FINALLY here...

If its not too polished it just means we may not be getting this for PO this year, much like the very rough, new Bespin Luke that was shown last year, never came up for PO.

The rougher the proto, the longer the wait.

Looks like most of the details on the HT are spot on. SS’s is just a touch too bulky which is probably why a lot of people are complaining that HT’s is too slim. We’re just use to seeing SS’s bulky version in pics and on the shelf. I have no doubt everything SW related that was revealed today was a really rough Proto and that the final product will be much tighter.

I have no doubt everything SW related that was revealed today was a really rough Proto and that the final product will be much tighter.

I have to agree. The Hot Toys figures shown, aside from Mando, all looked like they were rushed prototypes that were also displayed hastily. I hope that's the case at least.

Back