Hot Toys Sandtrooper MMS 295

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painted an extra orange pauldron I had, black. I was nervous that the paint wouldn’t take, but it turned out great.

My third Sandy should be here in a couple days. The Tatooine Detachment is slowly coming together. [emoji12]

96b10bcb04374a6fc25cd1a82f0859bd.jpg
e50cbd6aafdcc3dcd3c3198d5fb9e449.jpg
f47c3d2cc9e9e14b13c9b36176104a53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask what kind of paint did you use? I would like to paint one of mine black as well, thanks so much in advance.

Can I ask what kind of paint did you use? I would like to paint one of mine black as well, thanks so much in advance.

I first used a black sharpie, just to get it completely covered, but it will have a slight purple cast in certain lighting conditions, so following up with some black paint will fix that. I used Tamia standard black.

They make acrylic pant specifically for leather and leather like surfaces. Angelus is a prominent brand.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

I painted a jacket once. It cracked and flaked a bit. Looked like realistic weathering. So a happy accident.

But sometimes you need a better solution. Good to know.

Still need to pick up an extra Sandtrooper and most of all a dewback. Thanks for reviving this thread.

Still need to pick up an extra Sandtrooper and most of all a dewback. Thanks for reviving this thread.

Like I've mentioned elsewhere, I don't know why Sideshow don't re-release the Dewback. I mean sure it won't sell in huge numbers, but I'm damned sure many of their statues also don't move huge numbers either. Paint job is also not mega detailed and time consuming either.

Oh well, probably would cost an arm and a leg to get one to Europe anyway.

Like I've mentioned elsewhere, I don't know why Sideshow don't re-release the Dewback. I mean sure it won't sell in huge numbers, but I'm damned sure many of their statues also don't move huge numbers either. Paint job is also not mega detailed and time consuming either.

Oh well, probably would cost an arm and a leg to get one to Europe anyway.

I'm sure there would be a fair amount of interest now but I think the first time around they had to clearance them out. We didn't know how good we had it back when a Taun Taun with two heads was $350. The creatures, aliens, and robots of the Star Wars universe really make a collection come alive.

Not sure if I should post this here, but I wanted to share with everyone my custom Garindan I finally completed.
I think he turned out pretty good.
Special thanks to GeeWhiz customs for making the cape and cloak for me.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_29c5.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_29c5.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 25
  • fullsizeoutput_29c6.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_29c6.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 23
  • fullsizeoutput_29c7.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_29c7.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 24
  • fullsizeoutput_29cc.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_29cc.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 25
  • fullsizeoutput_29cd.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_29cd.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 25
  • fullsizeoutput_29ce.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_29ce.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 26
Not sure if I should post this here, but I wanted to share with everyone my custom Garindan I finally completed.
I think he turned out pretty good.
Special thanks to GeeWhiz customs for making the cape and cloak for me.

Great job, echo! I've got a custom Garindan project that's been in the works for a couple of years! I need to finish it up.

There actually is a Garindan thread here somewhere and there were some great customs and Hasbro upgrades posted there. You should try to find it and add your cool version there, as well.

I first used a black sharpie, just to get it completely covered, but it will have a slight purple cast in certain lighting conditions, so following up with some black paint will fix that. I used Tamia standard black.

is it tacky? Concerned about the rub off on the white armor... though I guess with a sandy shoudn't be too big of a deal as he's dirty anyways.... but curious, did it dry soft to the touch, or tacky? Cheers

If you’re interested to recapture the sandtroopers in the “look sir droids” scene, then you should go for a ROTJ stormtrooper and weather it up badly till it looks like a sandtrooper and use a black pauldron.

If you’re interested to recapture the sandtroopers in the “look sir droids” scene, then you should go for a ROTJ stormtrooper and weather it up badly till it looks like a sandtrooper and use a black pauldron.

The 2 Sandtroopers in that scene were not the SE Sandies.

is it tacky? Concerned about the rub off on the white armor... though I guess with a sandy shoudn't be too big of a deal as he's dirty anyways.... but curious, did it dry soft to the touch, or tacky? Cheers

Their post was from last year so they might not respond.

They used Tamiya paint which is a good quality acrylic. Even if it gets on the figure, it will come off very easily. But the helmet does not really make contact with where you would paint the pauldron anyway so I would not be worried.

You can also use paint meant specifically for leather/pleather and seal it if you are concerned, but a simple acrylic hobby paint will be fine as well.

The 2 Sandtroopers in that scene were not the SE Sandies.
The sandtroopers used in background, on dewbacks and close ups of the ones walking, were added post premiere and used the ROTJ armor and not the older ANH configuration. The main two sandtroopers in the scene and the soldiers behind these two, were of course dressed in original ANH armor. Later scenes in Mos Eisley had some black pauldroned sandtroopers, or grunts, of which always been in the movie.

To summarize, if you use a black pauldron on the HT sandie you get a Mos Eisley sandie and not a desert sandie. If to be screen accurate.

The sandtroopers used in background, on dewbacks and close ups of the ones walking, were added post premiere and used the ROTJ armor and not the older ANH configuration. The main two sandtroopers in the scene and the soldiers behind these two, were of course dressed in original ANH armor. Later scenes in Mos Eisley had some black pauldroned sandtroopers, or grunts, of which always been in the movie.

To summarize, if you use a black pauldron on the HT sandie you get a Mos Eisley sandie and not a desert sandie. If to be screen accurate.

There were black pauldron sandtroopers in the original desert scene (the first shot is a screengrab of the 4k77 version, and it pans to the left to the "look sir droids" pair):
Sandtroopers_1_small.jpg
scan0004tk0-kopi.jpg

In the "Look Sir, Droids" scene there were only these two Sandtroopers in close-up, no SE Sandtroopers.

orange white pauldron sandies.jpg

Back