Hot Toys Sandtrooper MMS 295

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does it compare regarding quality, design and accuracy with the SSC ones?

I don't have it in-hand yet, but based on the Stormtroopers and incoming photographs, it's easier to point out the differences and admittedly very few failings:

Quality

- Superior build and finish, as we're all aware by now. Weathering looks excellent, and extends to the ammo pouches and weapons.

- Leather-like soft goods for pouches is more realistic than SSC pouches.

Design & Accuracy

- Like the stormtrooper, the underlying strapping is actually too well-done and too tight, so you won't get the "wonky" on-screen feel without futzing & tweaking.

- Helmet is better than the Hot Toys stormtrooper, and better than the SSC by a lot, but still inaccurate. Build and finish are of course years ahead of Marmit.

- Actual measurements on HT helmets are surprisingly close to Marmit, by the way.

- Shin armour is a little wide. Not as bad as SSC but could have been slimmer.

- Pauldron is incorrect material and colour, plus has unnecessary padding and hidden strap. Does have screen-accurate sticker/glue mark.

- I find the Hot Toys DLT-19 superior, but the SSC E-11 is better.

Sorry, I meant the pauldron only - some own the HT Shadowtrooper who comes with one and thus comparison can be made ;) For others I make my own judgement when Sandie is in hand :)

Sorry, I meant the pauldron only - some own the HT Shadowtrooper who comes with one and thus comparison can be made ;) For others I make my own judgement when Sandie is in hand :)

I thought that was an odd question from you. ;)

I have the shadowtrooper pauldron; as I said, it needs work.

I thought that was an odd question from you. ;)

I have the shadowtrooper pauldron; as I said, it needs work.

I know HT Stormie is a great figure, and the Sandie has a Stunt lid which I prefer to the Hero. :) But was curious about the pauldron, I heard it was too stiff and has that padding. Can the padding be removed easily and not affect the figure?

Anyway I will have to verify on your reply tomorrow, my gf is here :panic:

I know HT Stormie is a great figure, and the Sandie has a Stunt lid which I prefer to the Hero. :) But was curious about the pauldron, I heard it was too stiff and has that padding. Can the padding be removed easily and not affect the figure?

Anyway I will have to verify on your reply tomorrow, my gf is here :panic:

Mine is not. LOL...

The pauldron has a nylon backing. I slit that on one end with an X-Acto knife and pulled out the foam padding. I also cut the hidden elastic strap which also holds it too stiffly.

The only problem left is the fake leather is too shiny, but simple paint or matte spray will kill that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[...]I have Han/ Chewie, and Obiwan....hell that is is close to a grand right there. [...]
I just hope when the movie releases that HT will slow it down a little for people to save up. Really only interested in some other OT figures, and just hope they are spaced apart a bit. I enjoy the wait, no rush needed for me.

****!!! As beautiful as all these little HT masterpieces are they just don’t translate to being worth $300 plus Canadian for me. If I am going to spend that much it has to be for very unique pieces (i.e.. Chewbacca) or others I feel I need in my collection (i.e.. Battle Damaged Robocop). Very short list of figures I would pay over $300 for. Can’t pull the trigger on “nice to have” anymore. And that suck's.......for me!!!

It's crazy. As has been beaten to death on these boards, I have minimalist tendencies even as a collector, but including pieces I already own, I have a strong interest in about...15 or 16 figures. That's around $5000.00 right there. Amortized over a longer period of time, maybe I could justify that...but dropping that in one chunk? I'd rather go travelling or invest it.

We'll see how it shakes out.

The only problem left is the fake leather is too shiny, but simple paint or matte spray will kill that.

Unless the one you have is different than the orange one I'm seeing in the photos, even after doing that work, the shape of the pauldron looks wrong. The sticker mark is also in the wrong place and the wrong size.

Unless the one you have is different than the orange one I'm seeing in the photos, even after doing that work, the shape of the pauldron looks wrong. The sticker mark is also in the wrong place and the wrong size.

It may well be, I don't have it in front of me. From the photos it may be too elongated.

*Edit: I'd flip a table but I'm working and that would be a very expensive tantrum.

I don't have it in-hand yet, but based on the Stormtroopers and incoming photographs, it's easier to point out the differences and admittedly very few failings:

Quality

- Superior build and finish, as we're all aware by now. Weathering looks excellent, and extends to the ammo pouches and weapons.

- Leather-like soft goods for pouches is more realistic than SSC pouches.

Design & Accuracy

- Like the stormtrooper, the underlying strapping is actually too well-done and too tight, so you won't get the "wonky" on-screen feel without futzing & tweaking.

- Helmet is better than the Hot Toys stormtrooper, and better than the SSC by a lot, but still inaccurate. Build and finish are of course years ahead of Marmit.

- Actual measurements on HT helmets are surprisingly close to Marmit, by the way.

- Shin armour is a little wide. Not as bad as SSC but could have been slimmer.

- Pauldron is incorrect material and colour, plus has unnecessary padding and hidden strap. Does have screen-accurate sticker/glue mark.

- I find the Hot Toys DLT-19 superior, but the SSC E-11 is better.

These helmets seem much larger compared to the bodies than Marmits. I have tons of Marmits and the size of the bucket always bugged me, along with the errors. Still, though..they were my favorite until Hot Toys.

The larger HT helmets allows for upsizing bodies.:yess:

These helmets seem much larger compared to the bodies than Marmits. I have tons of Marmits and the size of the bucket always bugged me, along with the errors. Still, though..they were my favorite until Hot Toys.

The larger HT helmets allows for upsizing bodies.:yess:

I've gone through many Marmit troopers too...there's actually a fair bit of variance in helmet sizes, plastic and shape across releases, probably due to a combination of batches, plastic mixes, and method.

Your best bet for a larger helmet is probably (but not always) the Sergeant release, as that one contained a dummy mold (just an inverse helmet sculpt) for a "head".-- as I'm sure you know, Solo Bones.

Not sure yet if this HT is that much bigger or if it's just the bulkier tubes and wider, separate (more accurate) ear-pieces.

Guns look great, but the rifles in the movie didn't have those ribs on the barrel. I like the thinner looking barrels a bit better..but still excellent.

Some did, some did not. The orange pauldron trooper in the alleyway on the way to Docking Bay 94 did not have a ribbed barrel.

*Edit: I'd flip a table but I'm working and that would be a very expensive tantrum.

:rotfl Nothing to flip a table over, just a little bit frustrating. They go to the trouble of putting a sticker mark that's a prop issue and that the vast majority of people wouldn't know about, but they screw it up AND make so many other questionable decisions/errors on the entire pauldron. A real :slap

:rotfl Nothing to flip a table over, just a little bit frustrating. They go to the trouble of putting a sticker mark that's a prop issue and that the vast majority of people wouldn't know about, but they screw it up AND make so many other questionable decisions/errors on the entire pauldron. A real :slap

Well, that's Hot Toys for ya. They have their own set of issues, just like everyone else. ;)

When you think dollars to product, it’s hard to wrap your head around DX Bespin Luke (two figures, DX, accessories, large box foam packaging) was cheaper than this or any recent HT SW release. When I drop $300+, I would like the presentation to be that of what a DX once was not…… in a shoebox.

When you think dollars to product, it’s hard to wrap you head around DX Bespin Luke (two figures, DX, accessories, large box foam packaging) was cheaper than this or any recent HT SW release. When I drop $300+, I would like the presentation to be that of what a DX once was not…… in a shoebox.

I get that, but I actually like the shoebox format, easier to store. ;)

Very slowly, permanent pieces are emerging. The day may come when I jettison the boxes, but they can sit in storage a while yet.

When I drop $300+

Is $300 the magic number? A few things are certain... Base figure prices will not take a nose-dive. The foreign exchange relationship between CAD and USD isn't going to drastically change over night. So if you want to keep collecting in this hobby you're going to have to do something to mitigate the effects of both of those facts.

Is $300 the magic number? A few things are certain... Base figure prices will not take a nose-dive. The foreign exchange relationship between CAD and USD isn't going to drastically change over night. So if you want to keep collecting in this hobby you're going to have to do something to mitigate the effects of both of those facts.

A $220US figure converts to about $300. And your right, if I want to remain collecting I will have to make those adjustments. I am practicing this now with being selective. Part of that process is eliminating the “cool to have” pieces (i.e. Sandtrooper, Obi Wan etc.) and ignoring anything TFA

Back