Hot Toys Sandtrooper and Dewback 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does look good. Doesn't make me want to get rid of the SSC version though. It still looks great on display.

But this set looks good. Way better than those early show shots. That SB shot really shows some stunning detail.
Seven hundred smackers though...flirting with tap out time here....

View attachment 657142

Let's think about it...if the trooper on the lizard is $700, imagine what an HT Jabba w/ throne is gonna be...

Tap out, indeed.
It’s definitely getting to be tap out time. I’m running out of space, interest, and it’s getting way too expensive. I’m going to finish the aotc line and then go almost exclusively ot. The 2 or so ot figures a year will keep me busy. I don’t need a million clones or anything from any Disney show. This however, is a must. I’ve been waiting for that Sandtrooper since the first images years ago. So happy for this. Now the Death Star trooper and I’m good for the year.

I'm caught between upgrading to this new Hot Toys Dewback or just keeping my Sideshow one. I'm definitely getting the new Sandtrooper.
Screenshot_20230819_074846_Gallery.jpg

Really the more I think about it the set is expensive, but the Dewback is massive. Getting the set you get the Sandtrooper for $40 less.

I’m talking myself into it a bit. I’d get just the one though. I already have the original Sandtrooper so the pair and the Dewback will be a nice trio.

Just going to snag the trooper. The Dewback looks great, but I only collect HT clones/troopers - and you never pass on an OT offering.

You will only get the lower jaw, not an entire head
It's a sort of weird way to show the swappable jaw piece with this complete unpainted head in the background. It just looks sort of interesting, so some people might assume it's an included extra display piece of some kind like all those extra bits that come with HT and SSC Vaders (stands/podiums with parts of the hlemets or extra heads etc.)

I think that goofy hillbilly-teeth open Dewback mouth will be like the giant-tongue mouth from the newer Sideshow Jabba - it's fun to try out but no one would display it with that mouth when there's a more realistic option.
At first glance it did make me wonder if they were going to give us separate heads that just plug in at the front. Given where the harness encircles its neck it would be convenient way to hide where they join together. But then I remembered this was Hot Toys...

Really the more I think about it the set is expensive, but the Dewback is massive. Getting the set you get the Sandtrooper for $40 less.

I’m talking myself into it a bit. I’d get just the one though. I already have the original Sandtrooper so the pair and the Dewback will be a nice trio.
I went with the set. Was tempted to get separate in case one day I downsized and sold the dewback but there's also the extra shipping on the trooper to consider so it started to seem like a waste to purchase separately. Sandtrooper looks so good. Almost want two as I have a spare black pauldron too.

Lot of reviewers on YT complaining about the Blurrg as in-hand feeling like a $20 kids toy due to the light weight, slight sheen and somewhat less than stellar paint apps (plus a few molding/glue seams.) So I'm assuming rotocast or injection molded plastic so Dewback may be the same.

They make it out of injection molded plastic and it's durable, lighter/cheaper to ship but people complain that it feels "cheap" for a high end collectible. They make it out of resin/polystone and it's fragile, heavy/expensive to ship but people praise it as feeling more "quality" in keeping with how a high end collectible should be.

I never get this - I've never associated weight with quality when it comes to collectibles, but I may be in the minority on that.
Yeah that's a concern I have as well. There's a ton of subtle color variation on this dewback proto that it looks like someone spent hours and hours working on, and I fear most of that won't come through on the final product. And looking at the final Blurrg in reviews, it does come across as very plasticky and toy-like (and the super obvious seam lines don't help).

Last edited:
So for those in the know, I'm curious, is the fur supposed to be part of the dewback or is it part of the saddle?

Either way it looks like a good replacement for the crappy fur on the armorer. I hope HT makes the switch.

The sandtrooper looks great, accurate or not it's a must for me. I hope HT makes the rest or reissues. I missed the orange pauldron sandtrooper.

I like the dewback, very tempted, but it's a lot of cash and the quoted size on the Sideshow photo is much bigger than I though it would be. Space will be an issue. I need ponder time.

Back