Hot Toys Sandtrooper and Dewback 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotcha. The sideshow dewbie is pretty heavy especially with the base but it does seem to have some hollow sections. I’m more inclined to get the HT to insure longevity but what to do with the SS is the question. Perhaps a patrol with one being male and the other female? Not sure of the dewback hierarchy or modes of reproduction. 🤣
If I had space back then I would have bought the SSC Dewbie. And now I would buy the HT one and keep them both. But I'm not sure I have enough space for one Dewbie, and still will not miss again and thus will get one, never matter what.

So if you have enough space and no need for cash, then keep both of them. If needing money, wait till the HT arrives and see what is your favorite. The SSC will not get the big money they got some time ago, but in a couple years from now on, when the HT is also sold out, prices for both might increase

Okay, so who's getting two?
I'm not getting any dewbacks, but I just ordered a second sandtrooper.

In the display I'm building I want 3 troopers. I currently have the HT and a custom marmit, and this would be the third.
The marmit is on a custom body and will have HT feet and a 3D printed helmet. But the details and crispness of the marmit armour is showing its age, and I'm afraid it would stand out in the diorama, even when weathered.

I'll have to re-weather my second HT trooper and give him a new helmet and pauldron, but then the three will be uniform in appearance.
HT has not shown any intention to make a black pauldron trooper, so this is likely our last chance for a while at getting a sandtrooper at retail.

I'm tempted to get the HT Dewback to go along with my SSC display. Not really sure I can make it work with the space I have for it though. Still, it would be kinda cool to add a 2nd Dewback to the scene.

Attachments

• 20220112_145911.jpg
    13.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220112_145841.jpg
    12.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220112_145937.jpg
    13.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220112_145857.jpg
    12.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220112_145830.jpg
    13.7 MB · Views: 0
i_like_it_big_cosmos.gif

Just noticed that the Dewback itself has no stand. Is anyone planning some kind of sand base?
Yeah, I saw that too. Hate when they do that.

Why give the figure a stand then ? It can't be used without having a weird height difference.

Just noticed that the Dewback itself has no stand. Is anyone planning some kind of sand base?
Yeah I was asking a week or two ago whether people minded that. There's an argument for both (base and no base) but at the prices these things are you'd think providing a base to give people the option would have been nice.

To me visually the desert sand is part of the look for the Dew (in the same way snow is for a Taun,) so it's nice to have it on a base.

While the Dew standing directly on the display surface does solve things like height of figures displayed interacting with it, I'd say most, if not all people would prefer a base or the option to add one.

There aren't many 1/6 items that have no display stand/base, at least at the high-end. This seems to be one of them.

Google's auto-translation of the Chinese BBICN forum's thread title is rather unfortunate...

HotToys new product: 1/6 "Star Wars 4-A New Hope"-Desert Stormtrooper Sergeant and Wetback Beast Set MMS722/Single sale MMS721

:unsure:

Yeah I'll probably end up making my own, I can't imagine it being too difficult.
Exactly, I was thinking the same.

At least then you can make it large enough for the trooper (or several troopers which I plan on) to stand on it as well, then they are all on one level. Also looks way more impressive.

I wonder if anyone has made a larger custom base for the SS Dewback ?

Exactly, I was thinking the same.

At least then you can make it large enough for the trooper (or several troopers which I plan on) to stand on it as well, then they are all on one level. Also looks way more impressive.

I wonder if anyone has made a larger custom base for the SS Dewback ?
Yeah, I've got a number of round wooden bases that I use to place underneath my statues to give them a bit more of a museum look. One of those with some sandstone rocks, a spray of adhesive, and some aquarium sand i think would look pretty good.

Back