Hot Toys Sandtrooper and Dewback 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting and a little strange that the HT Dewback doesn't have a base (at least as shown so far,) whereas the HT Blurrg did have one. I guess the Blurrg is more unstable on two legs and HT felt the Dewback was stable enough without a stand. But it's clearly a major feature of the old SSC Dewback.

Do people think Dewback's feet right on the display shelf without a base is fine (or even preferable without the artificial oval shape below,) or does it seem weird to have a Dewback without a Tatooine sand base and makes it look more toy-like and less "high end" without the base?

Interesting and a little strange that the HT Dewback doesn't have a base (at least as shown so far,) whereas the HT Blurrg did have one. I guess the Blurrg is more unstable on two legs and HT felt the Dewback was stable enough without a stand. But it's clearly a major feature of the old SSC Dewback.

Do people think Dewback's feet right on the display shelf without a base is fine (or even preferable without the artificial oval shape below,) or does it seem weird to have a Dewback without a Tatooine sand base and makes it look more toy-like and less "high end" without the base?

I'm a bit torn on that actually.

In many ways I'd prefer to have a base. As you mention in this case it gives the figure more presence and doesn't look like a toy.

On the other hand a base makes it difficult tohave other Sandtroopers standing next to the Dewback due to the height difference the base creates.

So all in all, I guess better to have a base. Then you have the option to use it or not, depending on the display style.

Interestingly R2D2 and R5D4 also don't have bases. I guess HT thinks they don't need support to stand ?? But they look totally out of whack with the rest of the display.

I'm really happy for those that missed out on the SSC back in the day as it's such an iconic creature.

This pic will always be the definitive Dewback for me:

And so for that reason, I'm happy I was able to grab the SSC. The open mouth on the HT looks odd.

Wow! That set-up looks amazing!! One is the cantina nook from SS...which is the other one where the Jabba is at? I agree with you the HT open mouth dewback looks odd...like a duck

JESM.

Wow! That set-up looks amazing!! One is the cantina nook from SS...which is the other one where the Jabba is at? I agree with you the HT open mouth dewback looks odd...like a duck

JESM.

Thanks !

The other thing is a SSC GI Joe desert diorama. Was only $150 and I thought it felt like a SW piece.

It is a little strange that "look sir droids" dude is technically riding the Dew (as seen in the iconic promo pic at least) in the distance while simultaneously standing 100 feet in front of it holding the droid part.

Last edited:
So its Terryl Whitlach's fault.

The mystery, the unknown, is always better.
The entire thing was a train wreck - bad creature redesign (complete with awful sketches of Dewbacks frolicking and parenting?), truly awful CGI (both movement and realism of the visuals,) the LFL storage guy even says they used the same screen-used suits, but they in fact used ROTJ helmets and armor that are a terrible match to ANH (helmets way different, crimped shoulder armor, lined armor pieces etc), and the 1990s-built backpacks are too small and a bad design match to the ones seen in Mos Eisley.

The whole thing reeks of misguided SE hubris, complete with a strong whiff of Rick McCallum.

Could be 2 different sergeants though?
In Universe they're obviously supposed to be different, but for the purposes of the promo photo, they put the same guy on the dewback. Maybe he had a more 'hero' costume or George liked his particular weathering.

Hot Toys just announced the exclusive base for this set.......

Screenshot_20230726-201538_eBay.jpg

😇

These guys knew about the Stormtroopers as much as my girlfriend knows, close to nothing. Overly weathered SE Stormies are a pain to watch in Special Editions.
Sad we got ROTJ sandtroopers and not the correct ANH type armor. Odd. Especially when they spent so much time fixing everything else.

Could be 2 different sergeants though?
With 100% identical weathering... :lol

But yeah there are two black, two white, and two orange pauldron troopers in the scene - err, like every scene :lol - so technically possible (yes, it's the other white pauldron sandie - played by a Tunisian extra - who sits atop the Dewback way in the distance in the look sir scene.)

Look Sir Droids guy (and the up-close orange pauldron sandie) were played by British stunt people who spoke English, so I assume that's why he repeats on top of the Dewback for the promo image as well as being in foreground for the pod scene. I remember hearing in an interview that none of the four Tunisians who played sandies spoke much English.

Back